Pages (2):    1 2
Ken Valentine   11-28-2005, 11:54 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Well, there's Starship Troopers! LOL!!!!!

Just yankin' your chain. I haven't gotten to do that in a long time.

Mind if I yank back?

Paul Verhoven grew up in NAZI occupied Holland.

He kinda played a trick on the viewers of Starship troopers. The earth society was portrayed as totalitarian/authoritarian, and it was never shown or told who started the war. Seems that he was trying to get the viewer to cheer for the NAZIS.

It also seems that he succeeded.

Furthermore, in addition, also, too . . . there were five main characters: Johnny, who was in love with Carmen (a brunette,) Carmen who was in love with the preppy guy, (Zander?) Zander, Dizzy (the blonde) who was in love with Johnny, and Johnnys dopey pal Carl.

Change the names to Archie, Veronica (the brunette), Reggie (the preppie guy), Betty (the blonde), and Jughead . . .

Quote:Actually, there are a couple movies that I like better than the book - The Shawshank Redemption...... and I can't think of the other, but know that I have thought of at least one more. It's rare, but it happens, IMHO.

Matthewsmommy was asking if the five hour production closely followed the book . . . it did.

Have you seen the trailer for the 2005 version of Pride And Prejudice?

If so, did you notice that it was produced by the same people who produced "Love Actually?" Also did you notice that their version of Pride And Prejudice had the same theme music that they used in Love Actually?

Big Grin Like that music would really go well in a period drama that takes place around 1815.

Rolleyes

Ken V.
jimbow8   11-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Mind if I yank back?

Paul Verhoven grew up in NAZI occupied Holland.

He kinda played a trick on the viewers of Starship troopers. The earth society was portrayed as totalitarian/authoritarian, and it was never shown or told who started the war. Seems that he was trying to get the viewer to cheer for the NAZIS.

It also seems that he succeeded.

Furthermore, in addition, also, too . . . there were five main characters: Johnny, who was in love with Carmen (a brunette,) Carmen who was in love with the preppy guy, (Zander?) Zander, Dizzy (the blonde) who was in love with Johnny, and Johnnys dopey pal Carl.

Change the names to Archie, Veronica (the brunette), Reggie (the preppie guy), Betty (the blonde), and Jughead . . .
No, I don't mind at all. :p

I do know that PV intended much of the movie as a parody, but it was taken at face value.

Archie comics? LOL!!! Never read them, though.

I'll give you that the characters in the movie were pretty stupid and paper-thin. I just like the violence and HUMONGOUS carnage.

Quote:Matthewsmommy was asking if the five hour production closely followed the book . . . it did.

Have you seen the trailer for the 2005 version of Pride And Prejudice?

If so, did you notice that it was produced by the same people who produced "Love Actually?" Also did you notice that their version of Pride And Prejudice had the same theme music that they used in Love Actually?

Big Grin Like that music would really go well in a period drama that takes place around 1815.

Rolleyes

Ken V.
I've never read the book and don't honestly intend to. Nothing against the book, just not interested and have many others that I'd rather read. I might see the movie, though, especially after seeing Keira Knightley on The Daily Show the other night. [Image: n1qshok.gif]

As for the music.... That is fairly common in trailers. It doesn't mean the movie will have the same music, just used for the trailer.

For example, Pirates of the Caribbean trailer used the soundtrack music from Bram Stoker's Dracula by Wojiech Kilar (sp?). The music was not in the movie, it was just an attention grabber for the trailer. For a while, seemingly every other movie trailer used Carmina Burana's O' Fortuna, but it was rarely (if ever) in any of the movies.
This post was last modified: 11-28-2005, 01:39 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Terry Willacker   11-28-2005, 01:46 PM
The 5 hour version is one of my wife' favorites. This is partly because she is a big Colin Firth fan. I really like it too. We have watched it several times. We saw the new one. Since the 5 hour version is very good, it is impossible for a 2 hour version to match it. That said, the new one is good and worth your time if you like Jane Austin. Kiera Knightly is very good in it. On the other hand, I think Donald Sutherland is completely miscast as her father. Also interesting is the MGM version from 1940 with Greer Garson in the lead. But, if you are only going to see one, make it the 5 hour.
t4terrific   11-28-2005, 05:21 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Yes. Just an observation.

Well, there's Starship Troopers! LOL!!!!! [Image: z7shysterical.gif]
Just yankin' your chain. I haven't gotten to do that in a long time. [Image: z4dwink.gif]

Actually, there are a couple movies that I like better than the book - The Shawshank Redemption...... and I can't think of the other, but know that I have thought of at least one more. It's rare, but it happens, IMHO.

Jim

As much as I loved the book, First Blood, I liked the movie a little better. I liked having Rambo be a little more of a sympathetic "good guy" and not such a cold blooded killer.
t4terrific   11-28-2005, 05:25 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:No

As for the music.... That is fairly common in trailers. It doesn't mean the movie will have the same music, just used for the trailer.

For example, Pirates of the Caribbean trailer used the soundtrack music from Bram Stoker's Dracula by Wojiech Kilar (sp?). The music was not in the movie, it was just an attention grabber for the trailer. For a while, seemingly every other movie trailer used Carmina Burana's O' Fortuna, but it was rarely (if ever) in any of the movies.

Some of the tv spots for Gladiator used Kid Rock music. They used that song ba wit da ba and bang da dang ditty ditty (or what ever he said).
Anders Monsen   11-30-2005, 03:34 AM
t4terrific Wrote:Some of the tv spots for Gladiator used Kid Rock music. They used that song ba wit da ba and bang da dang ditty ditty (or what ever he said).

And the trailer for Pearl Harbor used the best moment from the best track from The Thin Red Line. Happens all the time.
Pages (2):    1 2