RepairmanJack.com Forums
Pride and Prejudice - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Pride and Prejudice (/thread-1337.html)

Pages: 1 2

Pride and Prejudice - matthewsmommy - 11-26-2005

Anyone seen this? (I don't expect any of you tough manly men to answer, but you can ask your sappy female friends Big Grin) I've read the book about 20 times and this movie looks like it would be a good one.

Pride and Prejudice - Ken Valentine - 11-26-2005

matthewsmommy Wrote:Anyone seen this? (I don't expect any of you tough manly men to answer, but you can ask your sappy female friends Big Grin) I've read the book about 20 times and this movie looks like it would be a good one.

I have heard that there was a remake in the works, but having seen the 1995 five hour production starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth, I won't even bother seeing the remake. I can't imagine how it could possibly be anywhere near as good . . . not to mention better.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0112130/

I can't recommend this highly enough.

Ken V.

Pride and Prejudice - matthewsmommy - 11-26-2005

Ken Valentine Wrote:I have heard that there was a remake in the works, but having seen the 1995 five hour production starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth, I won't even bother seeing the remake. I can't imagine how it could possibly be anywhere near as good . . . not to mention better.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0112130/

I can't recommend this highly enough.

Ken V.
Thanks, Ken! I'll have to check that one out. It may take me a month to watch a 5 hour production, but if it's true to the book, I'd love it.

Pride and Prejudice - Ken Valentine - 11-26-2005

matthewsmommy Wrote:Thanks, Ken! I'll have to check that one out. It may take me a month to watch a 5 hour production, but if it's true to the book, I'd love it.

Yep . . . you'll love it!

The only other movie -- actually they're TV mini-series' -- I've ever seen that followed the book as closely as this one does is A Town Like Alice, which is from the Neville Shute novel, The Legacy . . . and it's five hours too!

So you're not the only one here who enjoys the Jane Austin novels.

Ken V.

Pride and Prejudice - jimbow8 - 11-27-2005

Word already has it that Keira Knightley will get a Best Actress nomination.

Pride and Prejudice - Ken Valentine - 11-28-2005

jimbow8 Wrote:Word already has it that Keira Knightley will get a Best Actress nomination.

So?

Does anybody imagine that a two hour movie can do justice to the book as well as a five hour movie?

Ken V.

Pride and Prejudice - Maggers - 11-28-2005

Ken Valentine Wrote:So?

So? I think Jim was just letting us know that some reviewers who saw the film thought Kiera Knightley's performance was a good one. Knowing who might be up for Oscars is a fun pass time for some of us. I haven't seen the film so I couldn't say what kind of job she did.

Quote:Does anybody imagine that a two hour movie can do justice to the book as well as a five hour movie?

Ken V.

Actually, I can imagine that. In my experience, no movie surpasses the experience of reading a book. Now I am not saying this is the case with the version of "Pride and Predjudice" that you like so much, Ken, but I'd much prefer a 2 hour adaptation with a great screenplay, terrific acting and outstanding direction to a five hour adaptation with lesser talent all around. It all depends on the direction, the adapation, and the acting, which varies from film to film. So, yes, I can imagine that a 2 hour film could be better under winning circumstances.

Pride and Prejudice - Ken Valentine - 11-28-2005

Maggers Wrote:So? I think Jim was just letting us know that some reviewers who saw the film thought Kiera Knightley's performance was a good one. Knowing who might be up for Oscars is a fun pass time for some of us. I haven't seen the film so I couldn't say what kind of job she did.

Actually, I can imagine that. In my experience, no movie surpasses the experience of reading a book. Now I am not saying this is the case with the version of "Pride and Predjudice" that you like so much, Ken, but I'd much prefer a 2 hour adaptation with a great screenplay, terrific acting and outstanding direction to a five hour adaptation with lesser talent all around. It all depends on the direction, the adapation, and the acting, which varies from film to film. So, yes, I can imagine that a 2 hour film could be better under winning circumstances.

Mathewsmommy absolutely loves the book, and hopes to see something that closely follows the book. The five hour BBC production does just that.

I saw the trailer for the production with Kiera Knightly. I am NOT going to waste my money on the movie.

Ken V.

Pride and Prejudice - t4terrific - 11-28-2005

Ken Valentine Wrote:Mathewsmommy absolutely loves the book, and hopes to see something that closely follows the book. The five hour BBC production does just that.

I saw the trailer for the production with Kiera Knightly. I am NOT going to waste my money on the movie.

Ken V.

Neither will I. Even IF those heads at The Academy offer a trophy for one of the actors.

Pride and Prejudice - jimbow8 - 11-28-2005

Maggers Wrote:So? I think Jim was just letting us know that some reviewers who saw the film thought Kiera Knightley's performance was a good one. Knowing who might be up for Oscars is a fun pass time for some of us. I haven't seen the film so I couldn't say what kind of job she did.
Yes. Just an observation.
Maggers Wrote:Actually, I can imagine that. In my experience, no movie surpasses the experience of reading a book. Now I am not saying this is the case with the version of "Pride and Predjudice" that you like so much, Ken, but I'd much prefer a 2 hour adaptation with a great screenplay, terrific acting and outstanding direction to a five hour adaptation with lesser talent all around. It all depends on the direction, the adapation, and the acting, which varies from film to film. So, yes, I can imagine that a 2 hour film could be better under winning circumstances.

Ken Valentine Wrote:So?

Does anybody imagine that a two hour movie can do justice to the book as well as a five hour movie?

Ken V.
Well, there's Starship Troopers! LOL!!!!! [Image: z7shysterical.gif]
Just yankin' your chain. I haven't gotten to do that in a long time. [Image: z4dwink.gif]

Actually, there are a couple movies that I like better than the book - The Shawshank Redemption...... and I can't think of the other, but know that I have thought of at least one more. It's rare, but it happens, IMHO.

Jim