Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Richard Kendrick   05-31-2004, 12:18 PM
Lisa Wrote:The Andromeda Strain is better than the book (sorry, Michael Crichton).

I don't know Lisa, I think I liked them about the same amount. I was impressed that the movie had been kept so close to the book.

Oh, and I liked The Running Man movie better too.

RIK
Lisa   05-31-2004, 02:08 PM
Richard Kendrick Wrote:I don't know Lisa, I think I liked them about the same amount. I was impressed that the movie had been kept so close to the book.

It is pretty close, but there were some weird mistakes in the book, like his screwed-up explanation of binary. Also, I just thought the story worked better in a visual format. His books, especially his newer ones, are more like screenplays than novels, really.

Lisa
jimbow8   05-31-2004, 02:36 PM
Lisa Wrote:It is pretty close, but there were some weird mistakes in the book, like his screwed-up explanation of binary. Also, I just thought the story worked better in a visual format. His books, especially his newer ones, are more like screenplays than novels, really.

Lisa
As a math guy, I'm curious what you mean by his "screwed-up explanation of binary."

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Richard Kendrick   06-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Lisa Wrote:It is pretty close, but there were some weird mistakes in the book, like his screwed-up explanation of binary.

Well, I read the book and then went right out and rented the movie so I could see if they were close. But, that was maybe 15 years ago. My memory is not so good. I have seen the movie recently.

Quote:Also, I just thought the story worked better in a visual format.

I love the old seventies style psychedelic FX and all the split-screen. Classic. I am surprised no one has remade that movie yet. Hollywood seems to love to do that.

Quote:His books, especially his newer ones, are more like screenplays than novels, really.

Lisa

Yes, I have noticed that too. Prey and Timeline were both like that. I enjoyed them though. I expect to see Prey as movie. Did you think he left that one hanging out there for a sequel? (I know you read it)

RIK
jimbow8   06-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Richard Kendrick Wrote:Yes, I have noticed that too. Prey and Timeline were both like that. I enjoyed them though. I expect to see Prey as movie. Did you think he left that one hanging out there for a sequel? (I know you read it)

RIK
I liked Prey also, and as I was reading it I was thinking how it was written for making a movie.

Also, speaking of Crichton, I wish they would release a DVD Special Edition for The 13th Warrior with all the original footage that was cut out and changed.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Kenji   06-02-2004, 09:58 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I liked Prey also, and as I was reading it I was thinking how it was written for making a movie.

Also, speaking of Crichton, I wish they would release a DVD Special Edition for The 13th Warrior with all the original footage that was cut out and changed.

Four years ago(2000), Michael Crichton came to Japan for lecture meeting. Year 2000, Timeline novel released in Japan, and his lecture was about time travel theory and technology. But those lecture was difficult for me.... Sad

Anyway, Prey is my favorite novel. I expect make a movie. Smile
fpw   06-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:Anyway, Prey is my favorite novel. I expect make a movie. Smile

If you look at the structure of Prey, it's a classic horror novel, and has some chilling, creepy scenes.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   06-02-2004, 11:09 AM
fpw Wrote:If you look at the structure of Prey, it's a classic horror novel, and has some chilling, creepy scenes.

Oh,yes! The climax scenes! That's chilly. :eek:

BTW, I read all of M.Crichton's novels. "Jurrasic Park" is perfect. "Congo" is good, but worst is "Eater of the dead".(sorry,M.Crichton).
Lisa   06-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Warning: Spoilers for PREY!

I actually liked both PREY and TIMELINE. I probably liked TIMELINE a bit better but they were both good. I think PREY would work even better as a film, because to me it was very visual and some scenes that would look cool on film seemed hokey to me on the page. I'm thinking in particular the big climax where there are tons of those fake "people," and the part where they are trapped in the shed and do that "swoop formation" thing to fool the bugs. I don't understand why they made TIMELINE first, since PREY is so much more suited to the screen. It's begging for a CGI treatment.

Lisa
Lisa   06-02-2004, 05:41 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:As a math guy, I'm curious what you mean by his "screwed-up explanation of binary."

I don't have the book anymore, but if you look at the explanation of binary he gives near the beginning of the book, he messes it up. He tries to explain the math and gets it wrong. They might have fixed it in later editions but in the one I had it was wrong. My ex is a computer guy and noticed it too.

Lisa
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5