Pages (4):    1 2 3 4
nonsun blob a   06-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:Oh....I know your feeling.

Old Japanese dramas were all good. But recent dramas.....*sigh*.

I LOVE Buffy the Vampire slayer. I saw first and second season.

Nip/Tuck, Wanderfalls, Firefly....I don't know them. But I have a curious. Smile

Buffy was awesome, and they did a spin off with one of the characters called Angel. I like Buffy more, but angel is worth seeing, Kenji, if you haven't seen it yet.
Kenji   06-05-2004, 12:23 AM
nonsun blob a Wrote:Buffy was awesome, and they did a spin off with one of the characters called Angel. I like Buffy more, but angel is worth seeing, Kenji, if you haven't seen it yet.

Yeah, of course I wanna see it! Smile

But we have a ONE problem. Now in Japan, almost American drams are release by rental videos or sell DVD. Now, Buffy is release by DVD box-set, and those are only first and second seasons. So if we can see spin-off Angel, it will in the distant future....maybe? :p
Kenji   06-05-2004, 02:37 AM
Now, I just finished 24;second season. What a thrilling ending!!! Smile What's happene to President? (oh,wait...please,don't spoiler). I really expect season3.

BTW, I just thought Kiefer Sutherland is good for Repairman Jack,....don't you think? Same name(Jack), speedy and strong action, tenderness to daughter. He is real Jack. Big Grin
Ken Valentine   06-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Bastard Wrote:Hey Ken, I happen to agree with you on the not watching tv idea. I still watch, but the chasm between worthwhile shows and everything else is growing wider and wider all the time.

--Jake

Judging by what others are saying on this thread, everything that IS worthwhile quickly gets cancelled.

Kaye and I never did watch much TV, so in '85, when a wind storm blew the antenna down, I never bothered to replace it. In late '86, ESPN was going to broadcast a series of programs on the America's Cup, so we got cable. After the race series was over in Perth, we found A & E and watched a few programs until the cable company cancelled the A & E channel . . . and we cancelled cable. That was in May of '87. The only thing the TV has been used for since is video's.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   06-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:WOW!! Thank you for many informations, Marc. I wanna see them ASAP! Big Grin
Specially, I wanna see Firefly. Someday, It will release by DVD.

Firefly is what I would classify as a "Space-Western." It takes place about 500 years in the future. If you can get it without shedding somebody's blood, then by all means do so.

FPW mentioned on another thread the great quotes in the movie Casablanca, well, Firefly has a lot of dialogue that is certainly quotable as well.

Shepherd Book: "Government is a body of men . . . usually notably ungoverned."

Mal: "Don't hurt him, just scare him a little."
Jayne: "Pain is scary."

Mal: "My days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Lots of others.

Ken V.
Kenji   06-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Firefly is what I would classify as a "Space-Western." It takes place about 500 years in the future. If you can get it without shedding somebody's blood, then by all means do so.

FPW mentioned on another thread the great quotes in the movie Casablanca, well, Firefly has a lot of dialogue that is certainly quotable as well.

Shepherd Book: "Government is a body of men . . . usually notably ungoverned."

Mal: "Don't hurt him, just scare him a little."
Jayne: "Pain is scary."

Mal: "My days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Lots of others.

Ken V.

Are you Firefly fan too? So, I must see it! Big Grin

Space-western, it's a interesting!

BTW, you mentioned "get it without shedding somebody's blood"....what is this mean? Something metaphor ? :confused:
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Biggles Wrote:Among people familiar with his work, Akira Kurosawa seems to get well-deserved acknowledgement. Most Americans don't seem too familiar with Japanese movies though. That is unfortunate.

I'll have to see if Zatoichi is available.

I think many of us associate Japanese cinema with the sf films of the '50s and never moved on to the real quality stuff Japan has to offer. Just my guess.
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4