RepairmanJack.com Forums
I'm crazy about American dramas - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: I'm crazy about American dramas (/thread-129.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

I'm crazy about American dramas - Kenji - 05-28-2004

Why American dramas are interesting? Smile

I just now seeing "24(twenty four)Confusedeason 2". Last year, I saw first season. What a entertaining drama! Japanese TV drama is bore in comparison to foreign dramas. Rolleyes

So far, I saw many American and England dramas. X-files, ER, Star Trek series, Monty Python Flying Circus, Friends, Buffy the Vampire slayer, CSI, Andromeda(those are all available on DVD).... But now,I am crazy about "24". A little while ago, I saw 24;season2 episode6. I expecting continuation. Big Grin

Tell me everybody. Has anyone seen Japanese TV dramas? Those are broadcasting in U.S. and England?

I'm crazy about American dramas - Dave - 05-28-2004

Kenji Asakura Wrote:Tell me everybody. Has anyone seen Japanese TV dramas? Those are broadcasting in U.S. and England?

Not sure if it is Japanese, but the only Eastern TV show that gained cult status in the UK in the last 25 years was Monkey.

It's had a recent resurgence because we never saw the end and only now will they be dubbed and released on DVD with the same voices.

I can't think of anything else.

Dave

I'm crazy about American dramas - Marc - 05-28-2004

There isn't much in the way of Japanese live action type programming in the U.S. if at all. I think the only television programming imported from Japan that makes it here on television is Anime.

I'm crazy about American dramas - Biggles - 05-28-2004

Kenji Asakura Wrote:Tell me everybody. Has anyone seen Japanese TV dramas? Those are broadcasting in U.S. and England?

I cannot recall ever seeing a live action Japanese drama on American TV. I love the classic Japanese movies like the Samurai trilogy, Ran, Kagemusha, Yojimbo, The Seven Samurai, etc. There are few directors in the world I would put up against Akira Kurasawa. It seems that in the day of DirecTV (which I have) we would have room for a Japanese channel in lieu of one of the 3? home shopping channels we have (which I block out). :confused:

Biggles Wrote:I cannot recall ever seeing a live action Japanese drama on American TV. I love the classic Japanese movies like the Samurai trilogy, Ran, Kagemusha, Yojimbo, The Seven Samurai, etc. There are few directors in the world I would put up against Akira Kurasawa. It seems that in the day of DirecTV (which I have) we would have room for a Japanese channel in lieu of one of the 3? home shopping channels we have (which I block out). :confused:

So....Japanese movies are famous, but TV dramas are not broadcasting?

OK, it's NO PROBLEM Cool Perhaps, if you see Japanese TV dramas, you'll do swich off your TV. Almost dramas are bore. Specially, recent TV dramas are crap. I've never seen Japanese dramas. When I was kid, I saw "Bewitched", and I saw many foreign dramas ever since.

BTW, if you really loves Samurai movie, you should see Zatoichi. Zatoichi is blind swordmaster, and performer is Takeshi Kitano. Smile

Marc B. Wrote:There isn't much in the way of Japanese live action type programming in the U.S. if at all. I think the only television programming imported from Japan that makes it here on television is Anime.

Ah....anime. I knew it.

Old and new, Japanese animation is popular in world. Almost people will pick up "Ghost in the shell", "Dragon Ball", "Akira"...yes,exactly those animations are very famous. But do you know "Sazae-san"? This is Japanese Legendary TV animation, and broadcasting at Sunday evening for thirty-five years. Cool

I'm crazy about American dramas - Biggles - 05-28-2004

Kenji Asakura Wrote:So....Japanese movies are famous, but TV dramas are not broadcasting?

OK, it's NO PROBLEM Cool Perhaps, if you see Japanese TV dramas, you'll do swich off your TV. Almost dramas are bore. Specially, recent TV dramas are crap. I've never seen Japanese dramas. When I was kid, I saw "Bewitched", and I saw many foreign dramas ever since.

BTW, if you really loves Samurai movie, you should see Zatoichi. Zatoichi is blind swordmaster, and performer is Takeshi Kitano. Smile

Among people familiar with his work, Akira Kurosawa seems to get well-deserved acknowledgement. Most Americans don't seem too familiar with Japanese movies though. That is unfortunate.

I'll have to see if Zatoichi is available.

I'm crazy about American dramas - Ken Valentine - 05-29-2004

In Southern Califnordia, Japanese drama's are pretty much confined to the Japanese language television station.

Ken V.

I'm crazy about American dramas - Kenji - 05-29-2004

Ken Valentine Wrote:In Southern Califnordia, Japanese drama's are pretty much confined to the Japanese language television station.

Ken V.

Japanese language television station? I didn't know that! Have you ever seen some dramas? Smile

I'm crazy about American dramas - Marc - 05-29-2004

Kenji Asakura Wrote:Ah....anime. I knew it.

Old and new, Japanese animation is popular in world. Almost people will pick up "Ghost in the shell", "Dragon Ball", "Akira"...yes,exactly those animations are very famous. But do you know "Sazae-san"? This is Japanese Legendary TV animation, and broadcasting at Sunday evening for thirty-five years. Cool

I'm familiar with the name only because I occassionally read NewType magazine. Some of the current anime being shown is Trigun, .hack//sign, Boogiepop Phantom, and Chobits. These are just a few though since several stations now broadcast 5-10 anime titles each.