Pages (7): 1 2 3 4 5 7   
Marc   09-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Okay... with the new season of television starting I thought I'd post a few quick comments on several of the shows I was looking forward to.

Reunion: Good concept. Poorly executed. The acting is pretty bad and the melodrama is horrible. It feels like an after school special. I can't see this show lasting.

Bones: Good acting and chemistry between characters. The only pairing that doesn't work yet are the two leads: Bones and Steve(?). Their banter feels like it's something that should have come out later. They haven't worked together before but the banter is like they are old friends. Also, the flow of the show doesn't work... it feels like the producers are trying to combine NYPD Blue and CSI. I also see this show falling into the trap so many shows do: serial killer of the week. Unless the format changes a bit I don't see the show lasting.

Supernatural: Although not very scary it looks good and the acting is decent. I could have done without the exposition in the beginning but whatever. Looking past that the show has potential.

Threshold: Haven't watched it yet but it is on my DVR and I will be watching it Sunday. I'll comment after.

Anyone else watch these shows? Thoughts?
APhew   09-17-2005, 05:01 PM
I firmly believe in giving a show at least four episodes before trying to form an opinion, but if the shows first episode sucks then it's all over.

Initial impressions:

Reunion - Didn't watch it, not my type of show. My wife did and doesn't plan on watching it anymore.

Prison Break - So far so good. It has sunk its claws into me, so I'll keep watching until it inevitably jumps the shark.

Bones - I enjoyed it. I like all the characters, the dialogue was pretty good, and it had an interesting story. The music threw me off a little, it just didn't seem to "fit" with this type of show at first. I'm hoping (like Marc said) that it doesn't do a killer of the week thing, it won't last if that's the case.

Supernatural - I was really suprised by this one, I enjoyed the heck out of it. I have some very good feelings about this series, I just hope they can keep things interesting.

Threshold - The first hour was some of the most cliche'd crap I'd ever seen. It's like they had a playbook for sci-fi/horror/drama's and were just going down the list. I probably suspend disbelief a little more often than your average joe, but I just couldn't do it with dialogue and situations this bad. It did somewhat redeem itself in the second hour. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Other new shows I'm looking forward to next week: Surface, My Name is Earl, Kitchen Confidential, Invasion... and possibly The Night Stalker (mixed feelings about this one).
This post was last modified: 09-17-2005, 05:04 PM by APhew.
Medusa   09-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Haven't seen any of these and really don't have plans to. The commericals for Reunion look like a dark version of 90210 or something. But I guess its better than all these reality shows they keep shoving down our throats.

I still love LOST and can't wait for the season premere next Wed!
t4terrific   09-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Medusa Wrote:Haven't seen any of these and really don't have plans to. The commericals for Reunion look like a dark version of 90210 or something. But I guess its better than all these reality shows they keep shoving down our throats.

I won't be hitting any of those shows either. I really don't have any current shows, dramatic or other that I really like other than Southpark. I mostly just hit the sindicated stuff (Especially Seinfeld, Sanford & Son, and Cheers).

I do now have 2 "reality shows" that I can finally feel comfortable watching and enjoying. I have always hated "Reality T.V.'s lack of reality.

1st. I love "The Ultimate Fighter". This is the second season and I'm liking it as much as the first. So far, the fights haven't been as good as the first season, but they are weeding out some inferior figters (hopefully that's the case). The fighters from season one have been fairing very well in UFC Pay Per Views and televised bouts. Diego Sanchez might be one of the best Middleweights in the world already. Nate "The Rock" Quarry is a complete smasher. He's knocking everyone out. Forrest Griffin looks to be the real deal and Koschek and Leben have both beaten some pretty good fighters on UFC shows. Hopefully some of the guys from Season 2 will be as good. I think Joe Stevenson may win for the Welterweights. I think his Wrestling, Jujitsu, and pure strength will override the skills of everyone else. I pick Keith Jardine to win Heavyweight. I think he's tough, has good kickboxing skills and was a pretty good High School wrestler but he hasn't fought, on the show, yet and at this point it's really impossible to be sure.
It's also great to see Matt Hughs as one of the coaches. He is by far, the best fighter at his weight ever! His wrestling is so dominant, he has good standup, and he overpowers everyone. He is famous for picking up his opponents on his shoulder and driving them into the mat. He's done that quite a few times and it really sends the message that he is the man! He's also quite a character. I'm really liking the way he's picking at the Brazillian fighter on the other team, trying to piss him off and get in his head.

The second reality show I'm hooked on is "Hogan Knows Best". What can I say, he was a hero for me as a kid, and now he's "Professional Wrestling's Biggest Icon". No matter how cheesy The Hulkster may be, I'll always love to watch, BROTHER!!! Big Grin
This post was last modified: 09-17-2005, 06:11 PM by t4terrific.
Lisa   09-17-2005, 08:35 PM
I watched Bones and Threshold. They were both all right but nothing spectacular. I actually liked the characters better from Threshold, but it was pretty cliche... although if done well, cliche is fine with me. Bones I was sort of zoning out on a bit. I felt like they were forcing the chemistry between the two lead characters. Crime shows are pretty boring to me unless they have some twist or a really awesome romance or something. (Hey, I'm a girl!) Or unless it's CSI: Miami, because there is not a more hilarious hour of "drama" on TV today.

"Thissssssssss...... looks like a........ MURRRR-derrrrrrrr...."
KRW   09-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Marc B. Wrote:Okay... with the new season of television starting I thought I'd post a few quick comments on several of the shows I was looking forward to.

Reunion: Good concept. Poorly executed. The acting is pretty bad and the melodrama is horrible. It feels like an after school special. I can't see this show lasting.

Bones: Good acting and chemistry between characters. The only pairing that doesn't work yet are the two leads: Bones and Steve(?). Their banter feels like it's something that should have come out later. They haven't worked together before but the banter is like they are old friends. Also, the flow of the show doesn't work... it feels like the producers are trying to combine NYPD Blue and CSI. I also see this show falling into the trap so many shows do: serial killer of the week. Unless the format changes a bit I don't see the show lasting.

Supernatural: Although not very scary it looks good and the acting is decent. I could have done without the exposition in the beginning but whatever. Looking past that the show has potential.

Threshold: Haven't watched it yet but it is on my DVR and I will be watching it Sunday. I'll comment after.

Anyone else watch these shows? Thoughts?

Sorry Mark, I haven't watched T.V. in awhile. But from an earlier post I did check out "Supernatural" and it looked good. I was thinking about getting into that series. When is it on?

KRW
Marc   09-18-2005, 02:18 AM
KRW Wrote:Sorry Mark, I haven't watched T.V. in awhile. But from an earlier post I did check out "Supernatural" and it looked good. I was thinking about getting into that series. When is it on?

Tuesday at 9/8c.
nijimeijer   09-18-2005, 04:05 AM
I thought Bones was a little ham handed. They felt the need to have the audience get to know the characters right freaking now. Because of this, they had every single person in the show obsessing over how brilliant but detached Bones was, and how David Boreanaz's character was this good guy cop with a military past.

It was almost too much for me; I say let the setting and action help define the characters before you start to fill in the blanks. Clumsy pilot. I'm pulling for the show, though, mainly because I don't watch much TV, and I think the show has potential.

Throughout our history there are those ghosts
Compelled to illustrate our dreams and hopes
Victors hang in pictures, losers from ropes.
Regardless they all swing in the same boat.
stacyzinda123   09-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Lisa Wrote:IOr unless it's CSI: Miami, because there is not a more hilarious hour of "drama" on TV today.

"Thissssssssss...... looks like a........ MURRRR-derrrrrrrr...."
LOL! I don't know how anyone can actually watch that show as a drama! My mom loves it (as she does the other CSI's) and doesn't see the absurdity. My dad and husband and I make fun of her because his lines and delivery are so lame, but she somehow doesn't see that.
KRW   09-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Marc B. Wrote:Tuesday at 9/8c.

Thanks Mark!

KRW
Pages (7): 1 2 3 4 5 7