Pages (4):    1 2 3 4
jimbow8   09-12-2005, 09:15 PM
xmradiodave Wrote:Jay, that was actually Exorcist: The Beginning aka: Exorcist IV. That film was horrible in every sense of the word. Possibly worse than The Exorcist II: The Heretic. Wait until Dominion: A Prequel to the Exorcist comes out on DVD. That is the second best Exorcist film made (after the original of course).
THAT is the one I am waiting for. I am kinda interested in "The Beginning" also but mainly to see how the EXACT same scenes were cut differently into two different movies.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
xmradiodave   09-12-2005, 09:30 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:THAT is the one I am waiting for. I am kinda interested in "The Beginning" also but mainly to see how the EXACT same scenes were cut differently into two different movies.

Thats the thing, it is not the exact same footage/scenes at all. Most of the footage shot by Paul Schrader in Dominion was scrapped and then reshot utilizing heavy CGI footage. Schraders Dominion is far more visceral and pure than the hack director Renny "Deep Blue Sea" Harlin. There are some scenes in Dominion however, that as a result of Morgan Creek Entertainment and their stubborn refusal to pay to finish Schraders film, come off a bit "unfinished" (Color timing, and blending of CGI insertion lines). Whether this will be the case for the DVD release I am unsure.

Schraders Exorcist passes on much of the gore that plagued Harlins film. In all fairness to Harlin, he was giving the producer James G. Robinson what he wanted. Harlin is still a hack director but he is not totally at fault for Exorcist: The Beginning. Back to Schraders film, it is not scary, but it boasts a very creepy atmosphere. The victim of possession in Dominion allows the audience to feel more sympathy for the character. The possessed in Harlins film made the audience feel a "Who gives a shit" attitude.

Alas, i am beginning to ramble, so I will now jump ship. Sorry

[Image: logo2.jpg]

I put the laughter in manslaughter
neotank   09-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Well, finally saw it last weekend. I was impressed, it was REALLY good. The acting, directing, everything seemed to be well done. It wasn't some movie thrown out to make some quick cash in its opening week.

And I must say... the movie really scared the crap out of me. But I must warn you that exorcism type movies seem to scare me more then any others, so I'm sure most won't find it nearly as scary as I did. But man, the exorcism scenes were the best i've seen since the exorcist...easily.

I also thought the courtroom scenes were really good also.

After watching this movie, waking up in the middle of the night at 3 AM is a whole lot scarier.
xmradiodave   09-21-2005, 10:31 PM
neotank Wrote:Well, finally saw it last weekend. I was impressed, it was REALLY good. The acting, directing, everything seemed to be well done. It wasn't some movie thrown out to make some quick cash in its opening week.

And I must say... the movie really scared the crap out of me. But I must warn you that exorcism type movies seem to scare me more then any others, so I'm sure most won't find it nearly as scary as I did. But man, the exorcism scenes were the best i've seen since the exorcist...easily.

I also thought the courtroom scenes were really good also.

After watching this movie, waking up in the middle of the night at 3 AM is a whole lot scarier.

I enjoyed the movie a good deal too. i disagree with the courtroom scenes though. I thought they were a bit flat. Poor lighting, drab set, it was too much like a real court room. Okay, now that I put it that way...great job on the realism.

[Image: logo2.jpg]

I put the laughter in manslaughter
Gerald Rice   10-07-2005, 04:51 PM
KRW Wrote:To tell you the truth, I really haven't thought about it. What would be the lure for satanism? It never really interested me. As far as being anti-god, who better to pick than his ordained nemesis? They may even believe he will win Armagedon, just because it's written in the bible doesn't meen god will win. Edger Casey botched a prediction every now and then too.
But when that day comes, I think those noodly appendages are gonna have a great advantage!

KRW

Because you're validating the enemy. You're rallying behind this evil enemy, thereby granting authority to the Good v Evil motiff and acknowledging that you are meant to eventually lose.
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4