Pages (13):    1 6 7 8 9 10 13   
Anders Monsen   08-31-2005, 01:32 PM
KRW Wrote:Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettM
In All the Rage we have a Rakosh (created from a piece of Rasalom's own flesh, by his own admission) as the source of the drug, and the hand of Rasalom is evident in the way in which Prather and Monnet learned of the creature. Clearly Otherness. .

Not just the drug, but it was also Jack's first meeting with Ba and Dr. Bulmer. They probably don't realize, but their lives started to become intwined in this book, because of that drug.

I just finished re-reading ALL THE RAGE, and do not remember "Ba and Dr. Bulmer." Where do they appear? I did notice the reference to an "infernal machine" and FREAK SHOW, so I may need to re-read that book, too.
BrettM   08-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Anders Monsen Wrote:I just finished re-reading ALL THE RAGE, and do not remember "Ba and Dr. Bulmer." Where do they appear?
There are just a couple of mild references, hardly even amounting to cameo appearances. When Jack woke up in the hospital in Monroe after his dose of berzerk wore off, "A. Bulmer" was listed on his wrist strap as the admitting physician. Somewhere else in the book Jack passed some big Asian driving another car, or something like that.

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
ALowerDeep   09-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Ok as to the Otherness being indiscreet about its influence in The Haunted Air i would have to strongly disagree. Tara Portman stated (i believe) that she was brought back to kill Gia but would gladly spite that goal in order to have Gia's baby. And doesn't the otherness try and bring charlie back to hurt Gia but he fights it off? I don't think these are subtle things. Also i do want to say i don't think that the Ally is as indifferent as we like to think. Look at its champion Glaeken, didn't he care about saving innocents much in the same way that Jack does? The ally may consider us insignificant but its the only shot against the Otherness.

ALowerDeep
BrettM   09-01-2005, 08:44 AM
THE USUAL SPOILER WARNINGS: THE HAUNTED AIR, REBORN, CONSPIRACIES

ALowerDeep Wrote:Tara Portman stated (i believe) that she was brought back to kill Gia but would gladly spite that goal in order to have Gia's baby. And doesn't the otherness try and bring charlie back to hurt Gia but he fights it off? I don't think these are subtle things.
I never said these events were subtle, just ambiguous. Nowhere is it explicitly stated that the Otherness was the power behind Tara Portman or Charlie Kenton. That's the common assumption, but there are other possibilities -- other powers that may have motive to want Gia and/or her baby dead.

Quote:Also i do want to say i don't think that the Ally is as indifferent as we like to think. Look at its champion Glaeken, didn't he care about saving innocents much in the same way that Jack does?
The Twins were also agents of the Ally, and they had no trouble with killing an innocent person to try to break up the SESOUP conference, or from making a couple of attempts to harm Jack. The Ally also had no problem with trying to kill Carol Stevens in a rather horrible way in Reborn, and one of the Ally's agents didn't hesitate to put an axe in Emma's head in the same book. Glaeken's motives come from within, not from the Ally, and he was chosen simply for his ability to get the job done, not because he cares about innocents. We have both Glaeken's and the Lady's word that the Ally is basically indifferent to our wellbeing.

ALowerDeep   09-01-2005, 10:09 AM
spoilers for all rj books

Brett would you not agree that it would have been a good thing if Carol died before giving birth to rasalom? No matter the methods it would have saved alot of lives (jack's sister,Father,Brother etc). I don't agree with the opinion that the ally is trying to take jacks loved ones away. With Gia and the baby around he has more reason to fight against the otherness because it is a constant threat to everyone and everything. If you take away Gia and the baby jack has nothing to live for.

ALowerDeep

Indifference does not mean Evil
fpw   09-01-2005, 10:57 AM
A LOT of these questions will be answered in RJ10. (I need a title, dammit.)

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   09-01-2005, 11:02 AM
fpw Wrote:A LOT of these questions will be answered in RJ10. (I need a title, dammit.)

I'm looking forward to it!

A lot of questions.....answered........oh wait a minute, please don't say RJ10 is last RJ story. No no no. I can't stand it.
Blake   09-01-2005, 11:10 AM
fpw Wrote:A LOT of these questions will be answered in RJ10. (I need a title, dammit.)

How about Resolutions? Smile Smile

Or the singular could work, too, to highlight multiple meanings (if Jack isn't resolute, I don't know who is)....

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Blake   09-01-2005, 11:11 AM
I should mention that the above post (by me) isn't completely serious before this turns into a "Let's title RJ10" thread! Smile

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
BrettM   09-01-2005, 04:50 PM
fpw Wrote:(I need a title, dammit.)
Is there a tomb in the book? Big Grin

Pages (13):    1 6 7 8 9 10 13