Anders Monsen   07-11-2005, 11:07 PM
This incarnation is part of a double DVD with another movie called Sonatine. After watching Zaitochi I checked out the info on Amazon and the character is a popular and recurring one in Japan, with 25 movies and around 100 TV episodes. In this version, an old, blind masseur shuffles into a town ruled by ruthless and competing gangs. He soon proves to be more than a mere blind masseur, dispensing anyone he faces with dazzling sword moves. I confess the movie left me puzzled throughout, since it seemed disjointed and uncertain about plot or characters. There are two bizarre musical numbers, cross-dressing killer geishas, and village idiots pretending to be samurais. A ronin bodyguard appears to threaten Zaitochi, but the battle is brief. Blood sprays and gore abounds, an inspiration probably to the Bride's scenes in the House of Blues Leaves in KILL BILL Vol 1. Still, the slice and dice action of the swordfighting failed to excite me, and this is far from the best martial arts movie I've seen. Perhaps some of the others ones are better.
APhew   07-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Anders Monsen Wrote:This incarnation is part of a double DVD with another movie called Sonatine. After watching Zaitochi I checked out the info on Amazon and the character is a popular and recurring one in Japan, with 25 movies and around 100 TV episodes. In this version, an old, blind masseur shuffles into a town ruled by ruthless and competing gangs. He soon proves to be more than a mere blind masseur, dispensing anyone he faces with dazzling sword moves. I confess the movie left me puzzled throughout, since it seemed disjointed and uncertain about plot or characters. There are two bizarre musical numbers, cross-dressing killer geishas, and village idiots pretending to be samurais. A ronin bodyguard appears to threaten Zaitochi, but the battle is brief. Blood sprays and gore abounds, an inspiration probably to the Bride's scenes in the House of Blues Leaves in KILL BILL Vol 1. Still, the slice and dice action of the swordfighting failed to excite me, and this is far from the best martial arts movie I've seen. Perhaps some of the others ones are better.

I really enjoyed Beat Takeshi's "Zatoichi". Yes, it's a puzzling film, but that's the case with most asian cinema to us westerners. I guess I've watched so many of them that nothing really fazes me anymore. You just have to buckle yourself in and enjoy the ride because if you want to completely understand it, you'd need to be reincarnated into that culture. I doubt "Zatoichi" inspired Tarantino's "Kill Bill" considering they were released the same year. I just found it a joy from beginning to end. The musical number at the end was FANTASTIC.

I'd reccomend it right alongside Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle" or "Shaolin Soccer".

If it's martial arts action your looking for, then you have to see "Ong Bak: Thai Warrior". The stunts and fight scenes in this are insane. I've never cringed so much during fight scenes as I did in this. The acting and plot were just window dressing to set up each new stunt or fight scene. Pretty much just like a Jackie Chan flick without the Jackie.

You want to be really puzzled by a movie, go see "Night Watch". It's a russian film that I believe is in some theaters now. I got it off E-bay a little while back and sat dumbfounded through most of it. At the end of the movie, as the credits rolled, my eyes just stayed glazed and I'm pretty sure I was drooling. I was thinking to myself "what the heck did I just see?"... then I immediately thought "I gotta see that again!". I was impressed.
Kenji   07-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Takeshi Kitano, he is famous actor and director in Europe, but in Japan, he is popular comedian. Maybe, I guess somebody mentioned about "Most Extreme Elimination Challenge" before. This is an old TV program. Now he is popular as moderator(host) on TV.
XiaoYu   07-12-2005, 12:26 PM
APhew Wrote:I'd reccomend it right alongside Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle" or "Shaolin Soccer".
Should anyone want to see some really beautiful, authentic action, without those annoying shifting camera angles that make you dizzy, along with some nice humor and a cute storyline, check out "House of Fury" if you can. I think it beats Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer by a mile.

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
Anders Monsen   07-12-2005, 12:34 PM
The descriptions i have found of this movie make it look very promising. I will check it out, as it seems more my style.

In terms of humor in martial arts movies, I enjoyed "Dragon Inn," though my favorite movie (to date) is "Wing Chun."
APhew   07-12-2005, 03:28 PM
XiaoYu Wrote:Should anyone want to see some really beautiful, authentic action, without those annoying shifting camera angles that make you dizzy, along with some nice humor and a cute storyline, check out "House of Fury" if you can. I think it beats Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer by a mile.

I'll get my hands on that, thanks for the tip!
Sam   07-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Anders Monsen Wrote:This incarnation is part of a double DVD with another movie called Sonatine. After watching Zaitochi I checked out the info on Amazon and the character is a popular and recurring one in Japan, with 25 movies and around 100 TV episodes. In this version, an old, blind masseur shuffles into a town ruled by ruthless and competing gangs. He soon proves to be more than a mere blind masseur, dispensing anyone he faces with dazzling sword moves. I confess the movie left me puzzled throughout, since it seemed disjointed and uncertain about plot or characters. There are two bizarre musical numbers, cross-dressing killer geishas, and village idiots pretending to be samurais. A ronin bodyguard appears to threaten Zaitochi, but the battle is brief. Blood sprays and gore abounds, an inspiration probably to the Bride's scenes in the House of Blues Leaves in KILL BILL Vol 1. Still, the slice and dice action of the swordfighting failed to excite me, and this is far from the best martial arts movie I've seen. Perhaps some of the others ones are better.

I remember renting a movie called Blind Fury starring Rutger Hauer YEARS ago. His character was blind and his cane hid a Samurai sword. It was inspired by the Zaitochi character. I recall liking the film. Might want to check it out.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Kenji   07-13-2005, 09:02 AM
A most famous Zatoichi actor was Shintarto Katsu. He already passed away, but still, his acting is legendary. If you have an interest to Zatoicghi, check this.

http://members.aol.com/ZATO1CH1/