Scott Miller   07-13-2005, 09:44 AM
FPW should have watched Gang Tapes to help with Charlie and Lyle's dialogue. Talk about shocking, in your face film-making. The movie is told from the perspective of a digital camera that gets car-jacked in the opening scene and through it we are shown the harrowing world of gang bangers. What really struck me was the lack of communication from people who talk so much; language is like a club they bludgeon each other with, no place for introspective discussion there. The saddest scene for me was the pride Alonzo took in finding out he was going to be a father-another baby born into that lifestyle is all the world needs. This is as close to real deal as I'm likely to see-hopefully. The cast of unknowns all come from South Central and have grown up with The Crips vs The Bloods giving the film a real sense of authenticity. A very grim look into a horrifying way of living. I recommend it if you are not faint of heart.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Sam   07-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Scott, did you also recommend a movie/documentary a few weeks back about a boy whose parents had mental problems and didn't really want to deal with raising him?? I've looked for that post but can't find it and forgot the film's name.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Scott Miller   07-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Sam Wrote:Scott, did you also recommend a movie/documentary a few weeks back about a boy whose parents had mental problems and didn't really want to deal with raising him?? I've looked for that post but can't find it and forgot the film's name.

Tarnation is the film you're looking for. And yes, I did recommend it but with an extremely depressing warning.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Sam   07-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Tarnation is the film you're looking for. And yes, I did recommend it but with an extremely depressing warning.

THANKS!! I knew it started with a "T" and would recognize the name as soon as I saw it when I looked in the video stores. Obviously none of the locals carry this film or I wouldn't have had to ask. Sad

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K