Edward   07-09-2005, 06:49 PM
What does Repairman Jack do to stay in shape? Maybe a question for FPW more than anyone, but I've been dying to know how Jack's rooftop exercise routine goes (I've left my copy of the Tomb at home for the summer, and besides, doesn't the mother Rakoshi interrupt his workout?).

Sorry for the obsessive prying, but a "Repairman Jack Workout Regimen" might be just the thing I need to keep active for the next few months.

Repairman Jack was a cross-country runner.
fpw   07-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Edward Wrote:What does Repairman Jack do to stay in shape? Maybe a question for FPW more than anyone, but I've been dying to know how Jack's rooftop exercise routine goes (I've left my copy of the Tomb at home for the summer, and besides, doesn't the mother Rakoshi interrupt his workout?).

Sorry for the obsessive prying, but a "Repairman Jack Workout Regimen" might be just the thing I need to keep active for the next few months.

I can't be specific here because I haven't thought it through. Since he isn't the gym-rat sort, I imagine he uses a combination of isoltonic and isometric workouts, with flexibility exercises and katas as well. Jack is strong for his size, with well-conditioned muscles, but he doen't depend on strength. He depends on speed. He's studied martial arts along the way, but much of his fighting technique comes from the street. He knows where to punch, kick, bite, or gouge to do the most damage.

Jack doesn't believe in a fair fight. Rules are for the ring. No rules on the street on in a bar. If it's him or you, he wants it to be you, and he wants it over with as quickly as possible.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
law dawg   07-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Edward Wrote:What does Repairman Jack do to stay in shape? Maybe a question for FPW more than anyone, but I've been dying to know how Jack's rooftop exercise routine goes (I've left my copy of the Tomb at home for the summer, and besides, doesn't the mother Rakoshi interrupt his workout?).

You want something tough that will get you into fighting shape? Try this : http://www.crossfit.com. It is a free program. It is what I do and it will kick your ass but also get you into a real shap as it is not segmented and is very varied and general. Read the "what is fitness" PDF and go to "getting started" and read some of that. Also the FAQ on the getting started page has some videos of some of the workouts and they will motivate you to workout and then some.

All of the exercises are listed on the exercise page. Each day the new workout is posted. It is the best program I have ever seen, bar none.
Anders Monsen   07-11-2005, 11:42 AM
fpw Wrote:Jack doesn't believe in a fair fight. Rules are for the ring. No rules on the street on in a bar. If it's him or you, he wants it to be you, and he wants it over with as quickly as possible.

I am by no means an expert, having only five years of martial arts training under my belt (a curriculum that consisted of karate, jiu jitsu, kung fu, hapkido, tae kwon do, tai chi), but this is wise of Jack. Trading punches will just as easily wear you out as the opponent. The first key is to avoid a fight, but if that becomes impossible, take the opponent out quickly. I've trained with some black belts who are fast, very fast. But even these guys, in close quarter grappling, can encounter problems. Look for their weak spots, like knees, groin, throat, eyes. Be able to use anything as a weapon - hands, feet, sticks, knives, and guns. I've always admired Jack's creative ways to let others do the heavy work, like Eastwood in A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (based on Akira Kurosawa's YOJIMBO).
Sam   07-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Don't forget to heft a few "Rocks" once in a while. I believe quite a few members of this board - and Jack - would recommend this exercise as well.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
CANADIANRJFAN   07-11-2005, 02:39 PM
fpw Wrote:I imagine he uses a combination of isoltonic and isometric workouts, with flexibility exercises and katas as well.

I was so convinced it was the 'Buns of Steel' videos.
t4terrific   07-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Anders Monsen Wrote:I am by no means an expert, having only five years of martial arts training under my belt (a curriculum that consisted of karate, jiu jitsu, kung fu, hapkido, tae kwon do, tai chi), but this is wise of Jack. Trading punches will just as easily wear you out as the opponent. The first key is to avoid a fight, but if that becomes impossible, take the opponent out quickly. I've trained with some black belts who are fast, very fast. But even these guys, in close quarter grappling, can encounter problems. Look for their weak spots, like knees, groin, throat, eyes. Be able to use anything as a weapon - hands, feet, sticks, knives, and guns. I've always admired Jack's creative ways to let others do the heavy work, like Eastwood in A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (based on Akira Kurosawa's YOJIMBO).

Well, I guess what I most admire about this aspect of the RJ character is that he isn't written as a total Bad-Ass who can whip anybody. He often simply survives fights rather than destroying his oponent. Too many times a character is written as a dominator, and it exposes the author's lack of intimate experience in true combat. A true combat expert would be spending many hours every day on weights, on the mat, pounding a bag, sparring and rolling with training partners. He would spend much time at the range practicing his marksmanship,... RJ is often mentioned as not being a great shot, and he'll sometimes get manhandled by an adversary. The thing that makes him special is his craftiness...and the rage within him. He isn't the best fighter or the best with weapons, but he has functional/practical skills, he's very crafty, and (maybe most importantly) he's well conditioned physicaly. That combination will usually get him over. Bravo.
KRW   07-18-2005, 03:19 AM
CANADIANRJFAN Wrote:I was so convinced it was the 'Buns of Steel' videos.

Don't forget about "7 Minute Abs"! Although I hear a "6 Minute Abs" is in production. (I heard that in a movie somewhere!)

KRW
jimbow8   07-18-2005, 09:26 AM
KRW Wrote:Don't forget about "7 Minute Abs"! Although I hear a "6 Minute Abs" is in production. (I heard that in a movie somewhere!)

KRW
No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart goin, not even a mouse on a wheel.

7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 doors. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

'Cause you're fuckin' fired!

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft