Pages (2): 1 2   
Barry Lee Dejasu   06-08-2005, 06:34 AM
Recently, the Sci-Fi channel has been playing marathon-length strings of Kolchak: The Night Stalker episodes, which is good because I love the show. Anyway...one of the episodes which I'd completely forgotten about was on just a week or two ago, and it featured a certain kind of Indian demon which walked around in various guises which appeal to the eyes of the beholder. I do believe this creature was called...Rakshasa! Yes, the very one upon which a certain other kind of demon was based by The Man... Big Grin

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Kenji   06-08-2005, 06:58 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Recently, the Sci-Fi channel has been playing marathon-length strings of Kolchak: The Night Stalker episodes, which is good because I love the show. Anyway...one of the episodes which I'd completely forgotten about was on just a week or two ago, and it featured a certain kind of Indian demon which walked around in various guises which appeal to the eyes of the beholder. I do believe this creature was called...Rakshasa! Yes, the very one upon which a certain other kind of demon was based by The Man... Big Grin

Hey, Barry.

That's interesting! I watched Kolchak:The Night Stalker,too. That was a long time ago.....When I was kid. So I don't remember those details. If I have a opportunity, I'll check it. Smile
Keith the Elder   06-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Recently, the Sci-Fi channel has been playing marathon-length strings of Kolchak: The Night Stalker episodes, which is good because I love the show. Anyway...one of the episodes which I'd completely forgotten about was on just a week or two ago, and it featured a certain kind of Indian demon which walked around in various guises which appeal to the eyes of the beholder. I do believe this creature was called...Rakshasa! Yes, the very one upon which a certain other kind of demon was based by The Man... Big Grin

The Rakshasa rocked (arrgh) using peoples thoughts to cloak itself as someone the victim trusted completely. Hadn't seen that in years.

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
fpw   06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Keith the Elder Wrote:The Rakshasa rocked (arrgh) using peoples thoughts to cloak itself as someone the victim trusted completely. Hadn't seen that in years.

Yep. Traditionally they were shapeshifters. (One of the favorite pasttimes of the females was to assume the shape of the wife of a powerful man and conceive children by him.) But I didn't want to get into shapeshifting -- that would have screwed up the story I wanted to write. I wanted a primal, evil creature, and so I cherry-picked characteristics I needed and canned the rest. I'm told Rakshasa is from the nationalized Hindi dialect. Rakosh is the Bengali form (one of 500 dialects in India).
This post was last modified: 06-08-2005, 11:13 AM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Jay #1   06-08-2005, 10:48 AM
I had the opportunity to buy a video tape of two of the episodes

KRW   06-09-2005, 11:05 PM
fpw Wrote:Yep. Traditionally they were shapeshifters. (One of the favorite pasttimes of the females was to assume the shape of the wife of a powerful man and conceive children by him.) But I didn't want to get into shapeshifting -- that would have screwed up the story I wanted to write. I wanted a primal, evil creature, and so I cherry-picked characteristics I needed and canned the rest. I'm told Rakshasa is from the nationalized Hindi dialect. Rakosh is the Bengali form (one of 500 dialects in India).

Rakosh sounds more fearsome than Rakshasa. Kinda like Longorn vs. a Holstein. Great white vs. a basking shark. IMO.

KRW
nonsun blob a   06-21-2005, 08:44 PM
personally i think the rakoshi are a thousand times more frightening than rakshasha, which probably couldn't give me goosebumps without ice. the rakshasha in the spiderman india comics, however, were really cool, and didn't shapeshift, just flew.

p.s., is that a tuxedo mask icon?

[Image: bloodmachine2cc.gif]
CANADIANRJFAN   06-23-2005, 09:35 PM
fpw Wrote:Yep. Traditionally they were shapeshifters. (One of the favorite pasttimes of the females was to assume the shape of the wife of a powerful man and conceive children by him.) But I didn't want to get into shapeshifting -- that would have screwed up the story I wanted to write. I wanted a primal, evil creature, and so I cherry-picked characteristics I needed and canned the rest. I'm told Rakshasa is from the nationalized Hindi dialect. Rakosh is the Bengali form (one of 500 dialects in India).

So the Rakoshi is actually based on Indian folklore? Out of curiousity, how did you stumble across this idea for The Tomb?
Mick C.   06-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Here's a photo of Kolchak's Rakshasha:

[Image: darren24.jpg]

One of the best Kolchak episodes, directed by a Hammer film veteran - Freddie Jones? Jimmy Sangster?
This post was last modified: 06-24-2005, 01:37 AM by Mick C..

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Maggers   06-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Wow, thanks for the photo, Mick! I had such a crush on Darren McGavin. Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (2): 1 2