Pages (3): 1 2 3   
fpw   06-07-2005, 03:11 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...:B:SS:US:1

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
SteveBlack   06-07-2005, 04:14 PM
fpw Wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...:B:SS:US:1

I spotted that last night - incredibly quick! The SOB won't ship outside the US :mad:

Paul - does it piss you off that 'fans' do things like this? Do you feel violated (and not in a good way Wink )

Steve
This post was last modified: 06-07-2005, 04:16 PM by SteveBlack.
fpw   06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
SteveBlack Wrote:Paul - does it piss you off that 'fans' do things like this? Do you feel violated (and not in a good way Wink )

This isn't a fan. It's a bookseller cashing in on all the freebies at BEA. They operate on a shoestring and if this helps put food on the table, well, okay -- except in this case. Because of guys like this we ran out of copies at the signing and some genuine RJ fans came away ermpty handed.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Biggles   06-07-2005, 06:18 PM
SteveBlack Wrote:I spotted that last night - incredibly quick! The SOB won't ship outside the US :mad:

Paul - does it piss you off that 'fans' do things like this? Do you feel violated (and not in a good way Wink )

Steve

Completely off-topic, but I remember back in "the day" when Iwas a prosecutor, and we had wild parties. One time the flyers said: "Prosecutors will be Violated". Anyway, for some inexplicable reason that came to mind. Yes, being violated can be a good, positive thing, but not in this case. I say we whack him.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Biggles   06-07-2005, 06:30 PM
fpw Wrote:This isn't a fan. It's a bookseller cashing in on all the freebies at BEA. They operate on a shoestring and if this helps put food on the table, well, okay -- except in this case. Because of guys like this we ran out of copies at the signing and some genuine RJ fans came away ermpty handed.

I had actually thought of putting a bid in for it, except for the fact I've already got an ARC of the Gauntlet edition. Still, it seemed cheesy to me when I saw how quickly it went up after the conference. I don't think I would ever sell one of your books on eBay, except for duplicates, of which I have a few. When I upgrade from mass market to limited, or signed to lettered, I end up with extras. If it weren't for the fact I know you, I would probably think nothing of putting a book on the market, but one of your books has more significance to me than one that was signed by just any author. It has sentimental value.

I think it would be great if members of this board could just indicate what books they "need" and we could do private sales that way. In a way it would be like private adoptions. I can't imagine letting my extra copy of The Keep, or WWW, for example, be adopted by just any mope who can win on eBay.

SteveBlack   06-07-2005, 06:42 PM
I've sold a fair few fpw books on eBay but mostly they've been where I've upgraded either the conditon of the book or to a signed/limited/lettered version. I did this recently with Nightworld (DH version) for example. My book spending is out of control and sometimes selling other books for a profit is a great way of funding my addiction!!

S
Medusa   06-07-2005, 06:44 PM
I feel the same way. I've gotten several FPW books that way and I've given them that way. And that's the way it'll be continued.

BTW, I have an extra paperback of Reborn if anyone needs it. Picked up another one at the library used book sale that's in MUCH better condition than the one I had.
KRW   06-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Biggles Wrote:I had actually thought of putting a bid in for it, except for the fact I've already got an ARC of the Gauntlet edition. Still, it seemed cheesy to me when I saw how quickly it went up after the conference. I don't think I would ever sell one of your books on eBay, except for duplicates, of which I have a few. When I upgrade from mass market to limited, or signed to lettered, I end up with extras. If it weren't for the fact I know you, I would probably think nothing of putting a book on the market, but one of your books has more significance to me than one that was signed by just any author. It has sentimental value.

I think it would be great if members of this board could just indicate what books they "need" and we could do private sales that way. In a way it would be like private adoptions. I can't imagine letting my extra copy of The Keep, or WWW, for example, be adopted by just any mope who can win on eBay.

You have an extra "The Keep"? Hum, we should talk. I loaned my last copy and I doubht it will ever return. Sad

KRW
Jay #1   06-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Call it a personal quirk of mine, but the only time I buy hardbacks from Ebay or a used bookstore is when the hardbacks are no longer in print in retail stores. That way the author gets the profit. I won't deny that I bought one repairman jack hardback off of ebay. But then... I haven't seen a Conspiracies hardback anywhere except there.
Biggles   06-07-2005, 06:52 PM
SteveBlack Wrote:I've sold a fair few fpw books on eBay but mostly they've been where I've upgraded either the conditon of the book or to a signed/limited/lettered version. I did this recently with Nightworld (DH version) for example. My book spending is out of control and sometimes selling other books for a profit is a great way of funding my addiction!!

S

And I don't think anyone sees a problem with that. I paid mucho for my first edition of The Tomb, but have since gotten a signed numbered one. I don't think selling the first one I acquired (which was signed by Paul for someone else) is the same as selling something that Paul signed for me. I would NEVER part with anything Paul signed for me for pecuniary gain, unless I was in dire straits (the circumstance, not the band).

Pages (3): 1 2 3