Pages (16):    1 12 13 14 15 16
APhew   10-25-2006, 11:15 AM
BrettM Wrote:On a related topic, am I the only one who feels that Richard Matheson is all but unreadable? If I see his name in the credits of anything on film (TV or movie) -- screenwriter, story idea, etc. -- I immediately perk up and look for something remarkable and memorable. Yet every time I attempt to read one of his stories, I wonder why the man didn't get a more productive job as, say, a bus driver. Honestly, one of my favorite movies in the universe is "The Omega Man" with Charleton Heston, yet "I am Legend" leaves me wishing I'd never learned to read. The idea is basically the same, with some shift in emphasis, but the written story just doesn't work for me. I am in awe of the screenwriters who are able to take so much Matheson material and find the gold in it, including Matheson himself when he does his own screenplays.

I find Matheson's stories much more enjoyable than the screen adaptations. "I am Legend" is a true classic. One man against a world of vampires... how cool is that? The studios completely messed this up by adding other humans in "The Omega Man". They are also setting up the latest adaptation with Will Smith to fail miserably as well (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480249/). I had more hope when this was an Ah-nold Schwarzenegger picture being directed by Ridley Scott. I guess Hollywood isn't willing to risk doing the story as it was originally written. Sure, it had a downer ending, but it was very effective and really powerful. I'm sorry you feel the way you do about Matheson's writing, I happen to find it brilliant, but to each his own.
Kenji   03-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Sorry, I picked up old thread. But recently I saw good horror movie. Maybe you saw it....or maybe not.

"Haunted" directed by Lewis Gilbert.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0113269/

It's classical ghost story in England. Very spooky! That last sequences were disturbing.

The movie is based on the novel by James Herbert. I wish I can find out the novel, but so far I can't (Maybe someday...). Also DVD is out of stock. But fortunately, I found out used VHS. The condition was okay.

Starring Aidan Quinn and Kate Beckinsale. If you are Kate Beckinsale fan, don't miss it! Wink Big Grin
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Kenji Wrote:Sorry, I picked up old thread. But recently I saw good horror movie. Maybe you saw it....or maybe not.

"Haunted" directed by Lewis Gilbert.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0113269/

It's classical ghost story in England. Very spooky! That last sequences were disturbing.

The movie is based on the novel by James Herbert. I wish I can find out the novel, but so far I can't (Maybe someday...). Also DVD is out of stock. But fortunately, I found out used VHS. The condition was okay.

Starring Aidan Quinn and Kate Beckinsale. If you are Kate Beckinsale fan, don't miss it! Wink Big Grin

Picking up antique threads is fine, Pal Kenji. Just depends how you pick them up. I DO NOT LIKE HORROR FILMS! They put my hands over my face.
Whatever woman I'm with says, "Baby Blues, it's just a movie..."
I DON'T CARE!
I'm 6'2". I would have been 7'2" if I hadn't seen THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL when I was 9...
Kenji   03-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Picking up antique threads is fine, Pal Kenji. Just depends how you pick them up. I DO NOT LIKE HORROR FILMS! They put my hands over my face.
Whatever woman I'm with says, "Baby Blues, it's just a movie..."
I DON'T CARE!
I'm 6'2". I would have been 7'2" if I hadn't seen THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL when I was 9...

lol

Don't worry, Mike. Yes, this is horror, but there is NO BLOOD at all. Wink

It's just a spooky like FPW's "The Haunted Air".
Dervish   03-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Kenji Wrote:It's just a spooky like FPW's "The Haunted Air".

I've loved all RMJ stories, but I think this was the only one that literally kept me from going to sleep. I tried, but I kept hearing that song "I think we're alone now" while imagining a ghost coming out of my closet with an open chest & missing heart, and even the image of a hand coming out of a pool of blood made me turn the light back on. ('Course I used the time to finish reading the book...)

Have you run your fingers down the wall
And have you felt your neck skin crawl
When you're searching for the light?
Sometimes when you're scared to take a look
At the corner of the room
You've sensed that somethings watching you

Have you ever been alone at night
Thought you heard footsteps behind
And turned around and no ones there?
And as you quicken up your pace
You find it hard to look again
Because you're sure there's someone there

Watching horror films the night before
Debating witches and folklore
The unknown troubles on your mind
Maybe your mind is playing tricks
You sense and suddenly eyes fix
On dancing shadows from behind

--Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Kenji Wrote:lol

Don't worry, Mike. Yes, this is horror, but there is NO BLOOD at all. Wink

It's just a spooky like FPW's "The Haunted Air".

"Kenji...there was...there was no blood at all... Who can explain this? There was no blood at all. Maybe Paul. He's a doctor. Kenji...there wasn't any blood, man. You'd expect blood, right? But there was no blood, Kenji. There was no blood at all."
t4terrific   03-23-2009, 08:35 PM
remylass Wrote:I have been trying to get the 3 Ju-On movies. Everything that I've seen on it says that Ju-On: The Curse was better than Ju-On: The Grudge. Have you seen the other 2? I'm going to go ahead and order them off of Ebay.

As far as the best horror movies, here are the ones that I like: (I own more horror movies than any other kind of movie.)

The Changeling
The Eye (Jian Gui)
The Exorcist
The Others
The Uninvited
The Ring
Jeeper's Creepers (Most people don't agree, but I think the movie is really tense)

I love scary ghost movies. They are my favorites. However, they are also the ones that are usually hard to find and poorly made.

I still enjoy Jeepers Creepers. I love the old truck. It goes downhill, for me, towards the end. Most horror films do that. It is still one I like to watch.
t4terrific   03-23-2009, 08:39 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Sorry! :o I also don't have The Outlaw Josey Wales or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Hey What can I say?!?! Its a work in progress. Actually, I don't know if I've seen the Wild Bunch. I saw Mag 7 a LONG time ago. I think both are in my Netflix queue if that is any consolation. Wink

The Wild Bunch is a good one indeed. It took me a while to get into it actually. That's odd since it has so much action early. I just didn't get interested in the characters until later in the film.

I think The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is one of the best films ever made.
t4terrific   03-23-2009, 08:41 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Okay. Done. It will probably ship today. Tombstone may be my favorite. Or Unforgiven. I am SO glad that won Best Picture (that and Braveheart). And I still think Val Kilmer gave an Oscar-worthy performance in Tombstone.

Unforgiven would be another of my favorite films. Tombstone was the one to get me interested in westerns to begin with. Kilmer's Doc Holliday was one of the best characters I've ever seen.
Mick C.   03-24-2009, 12:03 AM
pygar Wrote:THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY (my favourite western) has just come out in the UK on DVD as a special edition with extra footage and a documentary! Also check out another Spaghetti Western A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE (aka DUCK YOU SUCKER or GIU LA TESTA) - it's another Sergio Leone epic with James Coburn and Rod Steiger in the lead roles. An IRA explosives expert and a Mexican bandit team up to take on the Army - Leone exorcises a some of his experiences of war-time Italy in this one. Awesome.

I remember seeing DUCK YOU SUCKER (American title) when it first came out and being impressed by it - I'll have to pick up the DVD and see it again. (My older sister, who would often take me to movies when I was a kid, had a serious James Coburn fixation, so she took me to see everything he made. He early on became an icon of coolness for me)

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Pages (16):    1 12 13 14 15 16