thisisatest   05-31-2005, 06:52 PM
Steve D
Hope everyone enjoyed their three day weekend. I worked. Well, if you count volunteering work.

The reason I worked yesterday? Donations, donations, donations...in droves. And I got first pick at the books. Actually, nothing I really wanted, but...an observation clicked in my head. There are certain authors (in horror, anyway) that get donated more than others. I thought I'd share with you the authors' books that get donated the most (mind you, this is the West Hollywood District; donations vary by district):

1. Stephen King--There is not a King book out there that has not passed through these doors, and mostly first prints.
2. Dean Koontz--Koontz keeps me busy with the abundance of overprinted stuff that comes through here.
3. Robert McCammon--Mostly paperback (the first two are mostly hardbacks) but a ton of books nonetheless.
4. James Herbert--How his Brit hb books got here from across the Pond I'll never know, but his 90's books are aplenty here.
5. Graham Masterton--Paperbacks, paperbacks, paperbacks--and all mostly unread copies.
6. F. Paul Wilson--How many copies of The Select were printed?! We have The Select in every print including bookclub. Sadly, this is the only fpw book to come through here regularly. Many paperback horror anthologies with an fpw story come in and out (mainly carried out by me) but no gold mines, or even silver mines.

Gotta go. I'll update the list if I see an interest.

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
jimbow8   05-31-2005, 06:59 PM
So you own/run a used bookstore? Very cool. The one by me is actually for sale. I wish I could buy it but I don't think there is any way in hell I could afford it.

Got any copies of Soft and Others?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
cyber-jack   06-01-2005, 11:30 AM
The reason King and Koontz titles are so abundant, is that the size of a print run on one of their books is so much higher than your average author, not to mention their sales are higher as well. Also, the mid eighties glut of horror on the market pushed print runs for the likes of McCammon and others up to new heights.

Graham Masterton's books appear unread because they are mostly unreadable.
Kev The Brit   06-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Hi there. IF you should come across any UK HB 1sts of Graham Masterton's books, please do let me know, as I would be interested in purchasing them from that store......still missing a few over here. As for them appearing unread, as they're unreadable, well, I'd have to disagree there. I would suspect that many of them were remaindered - certainly over here in the UK where some of the print runs are a little excessive at times, GM's books have been sold by the publisher to cut price bookstores down from £6.99 to £1.99, and I know for a fact when I was in Boston last year, that a 2nd hand bookshop there, were selling copies of his books in MINT condition UK PB that they'd just had sent over from the UK - now whether they sold them or not, I guess some could have ended up in Charity / Thrift stores !!! Graham is a great writer, and he has a multitude of fans out there - probably not as many as FPW , BUT nevertheless, a lot of fans. Laters, Kevin
thisisatest   06-03-2005, 05:54 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:So you own/run a used bookstore? Very cool. The one by me is actually for sale. I wish I could buy it but I don't think there is any way in hell I could afford it.

Got any copies of Soft and Others?

Steve D
I'll let you know when a copy of Soft... comes in. I only have one copy--mine. Yes, and I'd love to own a thrift store. You've awaken an idea in me. But I wouldn't want to turn into the Comic Book Guy from the Simpson's either.

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
thisisatest   06-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Kev The Brit Wrote:Hi there. IF you should come across any UK HB 1sts of Graham Masterton's books, please do let me know, as I would be interested in purchasing them from that store......still missing a few over here. Laters, Kevin

Steve D
Request noted. I love reading GM and James Herbert as much as fpw, though fpw has the edge with the Jack series. But horror-wise, they give each other great competition. Better for us fans of these talented writers.

cyber-jack   06-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Kev The Brit Wrote:Hi there. IF you should come across any UK HB 1sts of Graham Masterton's books, please do let me know, as I would be interested in purchasing them from that store......still missing a few over here. As for them appearing unread, as they're unreadable, well, I'd have to disagree there. I would suspect that many of them were remaindered - certainly over here in the UK where some of the print runs are a little excessive at times, GM's books have been sold by the publisher to cut price bookstores down from £6.99 to £1.99, and I know for a fact when I was in Boston last year, that a 2nd hand bookshop there, were selling copies of his books in MINT condition UK PB that they'd just had sent over from the UK - now whether they sold them or not, I guess some could have ended up in Charity / Thrift stores !!! Graham is a great writer, and he has a multitude of fans out there - probably not as many as FPW , BUT nevertheless, a lot of fans. Laters, Kevin

Kev-

What did you think of "Unspeakable" ? Particularly, the ending?

I love a lot of G.M.'s shorter work, but the three or four novels I've read have been disappointing...
Kev The Brit   06-07-2005, 04:09 AM
cyber-jack Wrote:Kev-

What did you think of "Unspeakable" ? Particularly, the ending?

I love a lot of G.M.'s shorter work, but the three or four novels I've read have been disappointing...

Well, I was quite disapppinted with 'Unspeakable', particularly the CRAP ending - GM has had a lot of 'flak' over that, BUT apparently the publishers wanted his original ending changed, which is why this one ended up in the book. The original will hopefully be included in a UK edition at some unspecified time in the future. There are some good books by Graham out there, and hopefully 'Night Wars' will be good when it's published later this year. Graham kindly let me have a look at 'Manitou Blood' so that I could review it for a Horror magazine I write for, and it really is an excellent read - finishes of the Manitou Saga nicely - it's due from Leisure books in Sept. in the USA.