Kenji   05-30-2005, 08:24 AM
I bought Babylon 5 collectors box DVD, 1st season. This is from 1993 in US, but I've never seen this on TV or rental video. Finally DVD box was released in Japan, so I bought it.

The show is pretty good. Visual and sound are high quality. But almost episodes are dark. Always murder cases happen in station. Anyway now I'm enjoying it.
Flinx   05-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Babylon 5 is one of the best series around. I have all 5 seasons on DVD. Make sure you check out the extras, director & actors commentaries etc.
Kenji   05-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Flinx Wrote:Babylon 5 is one of the best series around. I have all 5 seasons on DVD. Make sure you check out the extras, director & actors commentaries etc.

Hi, Flinx.

Thanks for tips. Someday I'll check their commentaries. Smile
Marc   05-30-2005, 01:53 PM
I missed the show when it was on television but started renting the DVD's from Netflix last year. I went through all five seasons in about a month. Some of the acting is a little hoaky, the graphics effects don't really hold up well to todays special effects, but the thing that is amazing about this series is the story itself. I love that a small conflict in season one comes back in season three ten-fold. It's amazing to what the plotting in this series and see how intricate everything is.

I will be the third in highly recommending this series.
jimbow8   05-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Is the very first "episode" The Gathering ?

I hate it when they don't put the pilot on the first season DVD set!

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Marc   05-31-2005, 01:43 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Is the very first "episode" The Gathering ?

I hate it when they don't put the pilot on the first season DVD set!

Yes... and you're not missing much with the "pilot" episode. It's actually pretty weak and vastly different from the rest of the series. The pilot was shot and aired about a year before the series was picked up.
Scott Miller   05-31-2005, 01:59 AM
Marc B. Wrote:I missed the show when it was on television but started renting the DVD's from Netflix last year. I went through all five seasons in about a month. Some of the acting is a little hoaky, the graphics effects don't really hold up well to todays special effects, but the thing that is amazing about this series is the story itself. I love that a small conflict in season one comes back in season three ten-fold. It's amazing to what the plotting in this series and see how intricate everything is.

I will be the third in highly recommending this series.

Didn't I read in the intro to Rising Stars that Straczynski submitted the scripts for all five seasons at once? Might explain the tight plotting.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Flinx   05-31-2005, 07:32 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:Didn't I read in the intro to Rising Stars that Straczynski submitted the scripts for all five seasons at once? Might explain the tight plotting.
The intro by Gaiman says Straczynski had a 5 year long story with a beginning, middle & end all planned out.

Straczynski almost didn't get his 5 years had trouble at the end of year 4 with the network.
Marc   05-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:Didn't I read in the intro to Rising Stars that Straczynski submitted the scripts for all five seasons at once? Might explain the tight plotting.

He woke up from a dream and had the entire outline done in his head (he got up and wrote it out over the next sixteen hours or so).

Interesting trivia... Babylon 5 is the only series in history where one full season (season three) had only one writer. Incidentally, that was Straczynski.