Pages (2): 1 2   
Tony H   05-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Just watched this on DVD the other day and can't believe I didn't see it in the theater. What a fantastic experience! While there is a definite immature flavor to this film, (Puppet sex, a vomit scene that goes on forever, gay jokes) it is forgivable because it tackles some weighty issues with perhaps the most keen observations on war and celebrity pundits. It tackles sensationalsim, the media and best of qll Jerry Bruckheimer films.

Of the fuinniest scenes the one that cracked me up more than it should was when the Matt Damon puppet was first introduced in the Film Actors Guild line-up. Apparently he is only capable of saying his name.

Team America is a lot like South Park, primarily because it is made by Trey Parker and Matt Stone who took animation back to a primitive art form. They did the same with this movie, no CGI, all minature an impressive sets with real explosions, violence, sex and enough belly laughs for a mild abdominal workout.

To watch the behind the scenes on how the film was made really exposes Parker and Stone for the creative geniuses they are, despite their penchant for bathroom humor.

The underlying social commentary, just like South Park, is witty, smart and relevant, but if you pay too much attention to the weighty material you will miss some of the best moments of the film. Puppets haven't been so much fun since Thunderbirds, and they aren't as freaky as their 70's counterparts.

The music numbers, yes it's a musical, are funny as well. Songls like "America: Fuck Yeah!", "What would you do?", "Everyone has AIDS; a selection from the off-broadway smash LEASE!", and the power ballad of self-loathing sung by the oft-misunderstood Kim Jong-Il "I'm so ronery." are hillarious.

Treat yourself to Team Amnerica: World Police and give your brain a much needed vacation.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-23-2005, 12:11 PM
AsMoral Wrote:Just watched this on DVD the other day and can't believe I didn't see it in the theater. What a fantastic experience! While there is a definite immature flavor to this film, (Puppet sex, a vomit scene that goes on forever, gay jokes) it is forgivable because it tackles some weighty issues with perhaps the most keen observations on war and celebrity pundits. It tackles sensationalsim, the media and best of qll Jerry Bruckheimer films.

Of the fuinniest scenes the one that cracked me up more than it should was when the Matt Damon puppet was first introduced in the Film Actors Guild line-up. Apparently he is only capable of saying his name.

Team America is a lot like South Park, primarily because it is made by Trey Parker and Matt Stone who took animation back to a primitive art form. They did the same with this movie, no CGI, all minature an impressive sets with real explosions, violence, sex and enough belly laughs for a mild abdominal workout.

To watch the behind the scenes on how the film was made really exposes Parker and Stone for the creative geniuses they are, despite their penchant for bathroom humor.

The underlying social commentary, just like South Park, is witty, smart and relevant, but if you pay too much attention to the weighty material you will miss some of the best moments of the film. Puppets haven't been so much fun since Thunderbirds, and they aren't as freaky as their 70's counterparts.

The music numbers, yes it's a musical, are funny as well. Songls like "America: Fuck Yeah!", "What would you do?", "Everyone has AIDS; a selection from the off-broadway smash LEASE!", and the power ballad of self-loathing sung by the oft-misunderstood Kim Jong-Il "I'm so ronery." are hillarious.

Treat yourself to Team Amnerica: World Police and give your brain a much needed vacation.

Couldn't agree more, AsMoral. TEAM AMERICA was a hoot and a holler.
jimbow8   05-23-2005, 12:22 PM
You forgot to mention my favorite song from the film, "Montage" which was actually recycled from an episode of South Park but just as funny. This movie was very funny. It pushed the limits to the extreme, but that was the point.

Parker and Stone have stated that the work involved in animating this movie was excrutiating, and they would never do it again.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-23-2005, 12:47 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:You forgot to mention my favorite song from the film, "Montage" which was actually recycled from an episode of South Park but just as funny. This movie was very funny. It pushed the limits to the extreme, but that was the point.

Parker and Stone have stated that the work involved in animating this movie was excrutiating, and they would never do it again.

Overheard in an Elizabethan tavern:
"MACBETH aged me, Ben. I'm giving up writing. It's too hellish hard."
"Oh, you'll pick up your pen again, Will, or my name's not Jonson! With that thought, let's have another round. Your shout, I believe."
stacyzinda123   05-23-2005, 03:17 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:You forgot to mention my favorite song from the film, "Montage" which was actually recycled from an episode of South Park but just as funny. This movie was very funny. It pushed the limits to the extreme, but that was the point.
That is a good one! "Even Rocky has a montage". LOL. I love the Rocky movies, each one has at least one montage! A lot of the stuff I laughed at in this movie was due to the excess (the barf scene, for example). For some reason, these guys can get away with that and it's still funny. BTW, I saw the un rated version on DVD and the puppet sex was as explicit as puppet sex could be. What was removed for the theater version?
jimbow8   05-23-2005, 03:31 PM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:That is a good one! "Even Rocky has a montage". LOL. I love the Rocky movies, each one has at least one montage! A lot of the stuff I laughed at in this movie was due to the excess (the barf scene, for example). For some reason, these guys can get away with that and it's still funny. BTW, I saw the un rated version on DVD and the puppet sex was as explicit as puppet sex could be. What was removed for the theater version?
I found the barf scene too much when it happened, then it happened again and again. After several times it became hilarious just because of the complete absurdity and excess.

I haven't seen the unrated, so can't say what was cut. It was fairly explicit in the theater, though.

Montage
by Team America

The hours approaching, just give it your best
You've got to reach your prime.
That’s when you need to put yourself to the test,
And show us a passage of time,
We're gonna need a montage (montage)
Oh it takes a montage (montage)

Show a lot of things happening at once,
Remind everyone of what’s going on (what’s going on?)
And with every shot you show a little improvement
To show it all would take to long
That’s called a montage (montage)
Oh we want montage (montage)

And anyime that we want to go from just a beginner to a pro,
You need a montage (montage)
Even Rocky had a montage (montage)

(Montage…montage)

Anytime that we want to go from just a beginner to a pro,
You need a montage (montage)
Oh it takes a montage (montage)

Always fade out in a montage,
If you fade out, it seem like more time
Has passed in a montage,
Montage

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
fpw   05-23-2005, 03:41 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Montage
by Team America

Reminds me of the Spamalot song, "Every Play Has a Song Like This."

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Maggers   07-17-2005, 11:12 PM
What a movie! What action! What laughs! What hot sex -with puppets no less!

I particuarly liked the additional information on the DVD. I thought it was some of the best commentary and behind the scenes stuff I've ever seen, really interesting.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Gerald Rice   07-18-2005, 11:06 AM
This was the funniest movie of last year. And surprisingly, it actually had a coherent story with decent character development and natural progression of story. There were more subtle parts that had me laughing too.

*minor spoilers* When I think it was Carson revealed why he hated actors to Gary, I was rolling. Tim Robbins and Martin Sheen in Kim Jong Il's holding area just saying 'We're guards. Yeah, we're guards,' back and forth to each other was hilarious. And Kim Jong Il's 'panthers' was funny too.
neotank   07-22-2005, 08:44 PM
I saw this at the theater. I laughed so hard I cried.

AMERICA! XXXX YEAH!

The new south parks have been reallly funny to.
Pages (2): 1 2