Pages (3):    1 2 3   
stacyzinda123   05-17-2005, 09:34 AM
hford713 Wrote:I, too, saw this film this wknd and was a tad disappointed.

With this, I couldn't wait for it to end.
That sounds more than a "tad" disapointed. Wink
Annice Burdeos   05-23-2005, 06:41 PM
hford713 Wrote:I, too, saw this film this wknd and was a tad disappointed.
I went in expecting classic Ridley Scott - and I came out wondering if he was involved in it in even the slightest capacity.
Some of my complaints were that it was too long, for one. Another was that many of the scenes ended without any impact. Generally, Ridley ties up individual scenes with a wallop courtesy of biting dialogue. Many scenes in this film simply ended and had me wondering, "Is that it?" Also, the dialogue was not as scathing and less punctual than Ridley generally works with. In the end, I actually questioned whether or not he had any involvement in the screenplay - and moreso, if he was actually the director or merely a producer of the film. (And the fact that he didn't use Hans Zimmer to score it had me baffled - as I thought a better score might have lifted this film to a different/higher level.)
Me? I like movies that keep my butt planted in my seat long after the credits begin their roll. With this, I couldn't wait for it to end.
(Maybe something's wrong with me, considering last weekend I actually left "Hitchiker's Guide" before it ended. It was brutally bad. IMHO, of course.)

KIngdom of Heaven is by far one of the worst films I have seen in this or any other year. Not even Neeson or Irons could save it.

Bloom has no presence and while the film is politically correct, it seemed to just lie there on the screen.

I didn't care about Bloom's character or his struggle (what struggle ?!). The guy looked as if he wouldn't know hwat to do if a real battle was taking place.

The problem with Arthur wasn't Owen but that the studio rendered Arthur a secondary figure in his own film! Their emphasis was on the scantily clad Kiera Knightley's Guinvere. Which didn't even entice the all too coveted 10 to 25 year old boys much.

Troy was ludicrous at best and Alexander was mind numbingly bad.

If Gladiator had never been made, my eyes never would to see these inferior historical films.

In the end for me, I'll always have a place in my cinematic heart for Maximus.
As he said aptly observed "What we do in life echoes in eternity"
thisisatest   05-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Annice Burdeos Wrote:KIngdom of Heaven is by far one of the worst films I have seen in this or any other year. Not even Neeson or Irons could save it.

Bloom has no presence and while the film is politically correct, it seemed to just lie there on the screen.

I didn't care about Bloom's character or his struggle (what struggle ?!). The guy looked as if he wouldn't know hwat to do if a real battle was taking place.

Steve D
I loved this movie. Saw it three times so far--the third time with the galfriend last night. Each time I have seen it, I've gotten more from the dialogue, the storyline, and the motives of the characters. This was the story of Jerusalem, not Bloom, and even Bloom realized this when he held the walled city to save the people, not the city. Bloom's struggle was with his view of God via religion; he found God when he saw the hypocrisy of religion. This was one movie where you couldn't tell who the good guys and bad guys were. So the storyline had some great twists and turns. I couldn't see that finale coming from a 100 yards away. This movie is a DVD keeper.

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
fpw   01-11-2006, 10:43 AM
I enjoyed Kingdom of Heaven. I know next to nothing about the crusades, so I can’t comment on the film’s historical accuracy, but the leper king of Jerusalem, the Knights Templar, the wise and savvy Saladin all made for a fascinating mix. Some excellent action. I recall some reviews being unkind to Orlando Bloom, but he carried me along. I was engaged.

F= 0

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   01-11-2006, 10:50 AM
fpw Wrote:I enjoyed Kingdom of Heaven. I know next to nothing about the crusades, so I can’t comment on the film’s historical accuracy, but the leper king of Jerusalem, the Knights Templar, the wise and savvy Saladin all made for a fascinating mix. Some excellent action. I recall some reviews being unkind to Orlando Bloom, but he carried me along. I was engaged.

F= 0

Speaking of Orlando Bloom, his latest movie,"Elizabethtown" was also good. It's not action movie like Kingdom of Heaven, but definitely it has worth to see. Check it out. Smile
Noelie   01-11-2006, 02:39 PM
I really wanted to like this movie. Norton was wonderful, as usual, and I found the character of Saladin to be interesting. But the rest of the movie didn't elicit the emotional response that I had to Braveheart or Gladiator.

Quote:I went in expecting classic Ridley Scott - and I came out wondering if he was involved in it in even the slightest capacity.
I felt the same way. About half way through it, I was thinking, "Is this really Ridley Scott?"

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Sam   01-11-2006, 05:40 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:This movie really makes me want to learn more about the Crusades (any recommendations??).

It had the same effect on me.

BTW, Branagh kicks ass.

Also, have you seen Mel Gibson as Hamlet? You would be surprised.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
jimbow8   01-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Sam Wrote:It had the same effect on me.

BTW, Branagh kicks ass.

Also, have you seen Mel Gibson as Hamlet? You would be surprised.
Branagh's Henry V is EXCELLENT!!! One of (if no THE) coolest battle scene ever. The arrows!!!

BTW, Branagh is making Shakespeare's As You Like It.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450972/

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Sam   01-14-2006, 09:57 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Branagh's Henry V is EXCELLENT!!! One of (if no THE) coolest battle scene ever. The arrows!!!

BTW, Branagh is making Shakespeare's As You Like It.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450972/

I have his Henry V and Hamlet on video so I'll definitely catch As You Like It. Thanks for the heads up! But I noticed his name wasn't in the cast. I hope that was just an error.
This post was last modified: 01-14-2006, 10:01 PM by Sam.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
jimbow8   01-15-2006, 03:48 AM
Sam Wrote:I have his Henry V and Hamlet on video so I'll definitely catch As You Like It. Thanks for the heads up! But I noticed his name wasn't in the cast. I hope that was just an error.
Its a short cast list so maybe it is incomplete......... or he is strictly directing.

Unfortunately, I would guess the latter is the reason.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (3):    1 2 3