Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Blake   05-13-2005, 11:51 AM
We went to the San Francisco charity premiere last night. I still can't stop thinking about the movie. As a big fan of Star Wars, I'm completely blown away. It was quite an emotional ride. And I was so overwhelmed by the amazing visuals that I mouthed the F-word at least twice and was damn lucky I had enough control of my vocal cords not to yell it!

It's an emotionally unsettling film, I'd say, but I really need to see it again next week and get some distance from it to give myself some perspective. I don't think I can give a truly realistic "review" at this point outside of saying that I absolutely loved it. I think Lucas hit a home run, though, for at least one specific reason: I've been waiting to see the epic battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan for well over two decades -- it's a part of Star Wars lore that fans have all known about for a long time -- and now that I've finally seen it, I can say that it actually exceeded my expectations.

And just wait 'til you see the opening shot of the movie after the camera pans down from the crawl! Wow!

Is the film perfect? No. But none of the Star Wars films are. You do get some hokey dialogue in spots, mainly between Anakin and Padme. But I'd say it's better than it was in Attack of the Clones, and I bought that Anakin and Padme are in love much more this time than in the last one. I think some people might also complain that the film moves at too fast a pace. It flies by at a furious clip, but it has a lot to resolve. I'd add more, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Suffice it to say that I'm satisified, and I find Episode III to be a worthy conclusion to the series. Your mileage may vary. Smile

We're traveling to Monterey Bay Aquarium today, so I'd better get off of here and start thinking about checking out of the hotel!

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
xmradiodave   05-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Blake Wrote:We went to the San Francisco charity premiere last night. I still can't stop thinking about the movie. As a big fan of Star Wars, I'm completely blown away. It was quite an emotional ride. And I was so overwhelmed by the amazing visuals that I mouthed the F-word at least twice and was damn lucky I had enough control of my vocal cords not to yell it!

It's an emotionally unsettling film, I'd say, but I really need to see it again next week and get some distance from it to give myself some perspective. I don't think I can give a truly realistic "review" at this point outside of saying that I absolutely loved it. I think Lucas hit a home run, though, for at least one specific reason: I've been waiting to see the epic battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan for well over two decades -- it's a part of Star Wars lore that fans have all known about for a long time -- and now that I've finally seen it, I can say that it actually exceeded my expectations.

And just wait 'til you see the opening shot of the movie after the camera pans down from the crawl! Wow!

Is the film perfect? No. But none of the Star Wars films are. You do get some hokey dialogue in spots, mainly between Anakin and Padme. But I'd say it's better than it was in Attack of the Clones, and I bought that Anakin and Padme are in love much more this time than in the last one. I think some people might also complain that the film moves at too fast a pace. It flies by at a furious clip, but it has a lot to resolve. I'd add more, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Suffice it to say that I'm satisified, and I find Episode III to be a worthy conclusion to the series. Your mileage may vary. Smile

We're traveling to Monterey Bay Aquarium today, so I'd better get off of here and start thinking about checking out of the hotel!

Blake

I cannot wait to see this movie. Thanks for the brief review without giving anything away. I cannot wait to see all of the new episodes again in twenty years when George lucas re-releases them with new alterations to the continuity of the story. I hope George Lucas falls crotch first onto a light-saber.

[Image: logo2.jpg]

I put the laughter in manslaughter
Lisa   05-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey Blake, what did you think of the first two movies when you saw them? Just curious. I thought they stunk so I'm very cynical about this new one.

Lisa
Blake   05-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Lisa Wrote:Hey Blake, what did you think of the first two movies when you saw them? Just curious. I thought they stunk so I'm very cynical about this new one.

I actually quite like both of them, but my opinion probably needs some clarifying. When I first saw Episode I, I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't that. I have to admit I probably felt disappointed when I first saw it. I had to warm up to it. One of the things that I really like about it now, though, is that I've realized it's a dark film in disguise as a happy film. (Notice the bad guy actually wins at the end.) I think its more upbeat tone was deliberately designed to offset the much darker tone of III.

With Episode II, I took a different approach. I read the script (and probably the novelization) before I saw the movie, so I already knew what to expect. I wasn't likely to be disappointed, and I wasn't. My perspective is probably also colored by the fact that I saw that one with George Lucas himself sitting fifteen feet or so to my immediate left. Smile Basically I'm saying that I really enjoyed the movie (still do), but you should recognize my biases for what they are. I was willing to pay for charity tickets to the premieres of II and III, so I'm obviously a fan.

With Episode III, I also read the script beforehand and knew what to expect story-wise, but the visuals and the acting that went with it completely blew me away in a way that the first two didn't. The very first shot after the camera pans down from the scroll-up is nothing short of astonishing, and my jaw hit the floor during parts of the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel. And I'd say this film has emotion and heart that was comparatively lacking in the last two. I damn near cried twice!

I would also say that Episode III paints Episodes I and II in a new light. There are seeds planted in those two episodes that flower here and, I daresay, make them better films than they might seem as standalone pieces.

Again, your mileage may vary. I can't say everyone will like the movie, but I loved it, couldn't stop thinking about it after I saw it, and can't wait to see it again this week.

Blake

Blake   05-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Oh, and if possible, see it digitally projected! I'd never seen a digitally projected movie before, and it really knocked my socks off!!! There's no way it'll look as good on film.

Blake

Blake   05-15-2005, 02:55 PM
One more thing: A lot of reviews have been saying this is the best of the prequels, and also that it's better than Return of the Jedi. I think I'd have to agree. In the overall six-part story, I'd probably rank this one as #2 or #3.

Blake

jimbow8   05-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Blake Wrote:I would also say that Episode III paints Episodes I and II in a new light. There are seeds planted in those two episodes that flower here and, I daresay, make them better films than they might seem as standalone pieces.
This is what I am really looking forward to. I like the first two but recognize that they have some significant flaws, so I am hoping that this one helps eleviate those.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
jimbow8   05-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Blake Wrote:Oh, and if possible, see it digitally projected! I'd never seen a digitally projected movie before, and it really knocked my socks off!!! There's no way it'll look as good on film.

Blake
I've seen a few movies on digital and it is astounding!!! My first viewing of Revenge of the Sith (12:01am) will be on a small, non-digital screen due to closeness to my house. But later that day I intend on seeing it on a bigger screen - don't know if digital projection will be available.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
mike36799   05-16-2005, 02:44 AM
I was told today that the new movie has more special effects than all the Star Wars movies combined. I find that hard to believe, and was also surprised to see the PG-13 tag.
Blake   05-16-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't know about the "more special effects" bit, though it wouldn't surprise me. There's hardly a frame that doesn't have some digital effect in it, even if you don't realize it's an effect.

The film does earn its PG-13 rating, though. If you're a parent, I would recommend seeing it yourself before you decide if any of your young kids should see it. I am a bit worried that some parents may just take their five-year-olds thinking, "Hey, it's Star Wars! How bad can it be?" Well, pretty bad for a young kid. "The Phantom Menace" this isn't. Some of the violence is surprisingly graphic (for Star Wars anyway), and I found a couple of sequences genuinely disturbing. Suffice it to say I'll never look at Darth Vader the same way again.

Blake

Pages (3): 1 2 3