Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Scott Miller   05-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Alec Baldwin. Not that he was ever terrible, but he has become a thoroughly watchable performer. I loved him in State and Main and The Cooler, and he was outstanding in The Last Shot, which I watched last night. TLS is based on actual events where an FBI agent (Baldwin) poses as a film producer in order to nail some mobsters for racketeering. It also stars Matthew Broderick and a solid supporting cast, led by the always funny Joan Cusack. TLS is lightweight fun and it has one the cooler title sequences I've seen.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Sam   05-03-2005, 12:50 AM
Seems like Alec Baldwin hasn't been given a fair shake. I'm not a big fan but I've never really had a problem with his acting. I think he's more suited for comedy than anything else. Maybe it's just because the other Baldwins do suck. Rolleyes

I'd have to say Robin Williams. Yeah, he can still be annoying at times but he has improved over the years.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Kenji   05-03-2005, 04:48 AM
I've never seen The Cooler yet. I hope it's released in Japan.

Alec Baldwin.....
I like The Hunt for Red October, but that was Sean Connely's movie. Sean Connely was great.
I saw Getaway, but I quit seeing it in first 40 or 50 minutes. I like original.
Ghosts of Mississippi was good. Good script, good casting. He was good in this movie.
Glengarry Glen Ross was awesome. This is my favorite movie.

I am not his fan, but I like his movies, except Getaway.

I think most improved actor is Jonny Depp. His early movies were beneath my notice. But his recent movies are very good. Now, I am always seeing all his new movies.
This post was last modified: 05-03-2005, 05:09 AM by Kenji.
Scott Miller   05-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Kenji Wrote:I think most improved actor is Jonny Depp. His early movies were beneath my notice. But his recent movies are very good. Now, I am always seeing all his new movies.

Good call, Kenji. He has certainly developed some 'chops' after a rather undistinguished early career.

Sam Wrote:I'd have to say Robin Williams. Yeah, he can still be annoying at times but he has improved over the years.

I thought he was great in his very first role as Technical Sergeant Garp and has been at least solid since. I just think that it took awhile before anyone figured out that he was capable of handling drama as well as his manic humor.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   05-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Kenji Wrote:I

I think most improved actor is Jonny Depp. His early movies were beneath my notice....

Kenji,
You get the award for most improved English! Way to go, Kenji, you should be proud. You are writing very well!
This post was last modified: 05-03-2005, 03:07 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Sam   05-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I thought he was great in his very first role as Technical Sergeant Garp and has been at least solid since. I just think that it took awhile before anyone figured out that he was capable of handling drama as well as his manic humor.

I can't remember TWA...LOL. I was going to init. the Garp movie but maybe I shouldn't. Anyway I always felt he was pegged as strictly a comedy actor and thought his transition into drama went very well.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
KRW   05-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Sam Wrote:I can't remember TWA...LOL. I was going to init. the Garp movie but maybe I shouldn't. Anyway I always felt he was pegged as strictly a comedy actor and thought his transition into drama went very well.

I agree totally, and The World Acording to Garp was great!

KRW
hford713   05-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Sam Wrote:I can't remember TWA...LOL. I was going to init. the Garp movie but maybe I shouldn't. Anyway I always felt he was pegged as strictly a comedy actor and thought his transition into drama went very well.
And his performance in "One Hour Photo" is stunning. Quite effectively creepy!
(could be merely a well written character, though...)
Kenji   05-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Best of Robbin Williams is...

Goooood Moooorning Vietnaaaam!!! Big Grin
jimbow8   05-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Kenji Wrote:Best of Robbin Williams is...

Goooood Moooorning Vietnaaaam!!! Big Grin
I thought Robin Williams proved his acting ability in Awakenings and then again in Good Will Hunting. He is a much better dramatic actor than comedic actor, IMO.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (3): 1 2 3