nijimeijer   05-10-2004, 01:56 AM
Anyone seen this Asian horror flick? Saw it at Blockbuster, we had a gift certificate, it just made sense. We're too lazy to return videos, so we usually just buy 6-10 dollar DVDs rather than rent. Anyway . . .

So, we watched it tonight, and I'd say the movie was excellent. It didn't fall apart at the end, like most every ghost movie, nor did it . . . just . . . limp . . . off . . . like Sixth Sense. I'd give you all a synopsis, long form review, yadda yadda, but you can find all of that at forty other sites.

So, as I said: good movie. Got me a couple of times, too. Got me good.
Gerald Rice   05-10-2004, 02:35 PM
nijimeijer Wrote:Anyone seen this Asian horror flick? Saw it at Blockbuster, we had a gift certificate, it just made sense. We're too lazy to return videos, so we usually just buy 6-10 dollar DVDs rather than rent. Anyway . . .

So, we watched it tonight, and I'd say the movie was excellent. It didn't fall apart at the end, like most every ghost movie, nor did it . . . just . . . limp . . . off . . . like Sixth Sense. I'd give you all a synopsis, long form review, yadda yadda, but you can find all of that at forty other sites.

So, as I said: good movie. Got me a couple of times, too. Got me good.

I saw it a couple months ago after armtwisting the missus into it. Niiiice. I also rented another Asian horror movie I can't remember the name of that turned out bad. Blockbuster has it and it's sequel. The title is a Japanese girl's name- some girl who can't die no matter what you do to her.
Gord   05-11-2004, 09:49 AM
I was pushing The Eye in a previous thread, its a great movie. It sets tone much better than any american horror movie I've seen in years. The creepy-factor of the scene in the elevator is utterly off the scale.

Unfortunately as usual there's an Americanized remake on the way.
Marc   05-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Gord Wrote:It sets tone much better than any american horror movie I've seen in years.

Most Japanese horror does.
Scott Miller   05-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Gerald Rice Wrote:I saw it a couple months ago after armtwisting the missus into it. Niiiice. I also rented another Asian horror movie I can't remember the name of that turned out bad. Blockbuster has it and it's sequel. The title is a Japanese girl's name- some girl who can't die no matter what you do to her.

You are thinking of Tomie. Haven't heard anything good about it. I loved The Eye though. I'm curious about St. John's Wort by the same people responsible for Ringu; anyone seen it?

The Returner and Running on Karma are not horror, but the are both fun Asian films.

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Gord   05-11-2004, 09:42 PM
I didn't care for Ringu at all. It just didn't make sense to me, the characters behave erratically and without any real sane reasoning. I didn't bother seeing the remake though. (Or the sequel which I haven't read anything positive about)