Pages (3): 1 2 3   
ShadowLord   04-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Well the title sums it up == I figured what the heck -- pulled up google and did a quick look into repairman jack..

Most of the stuff I pulled up dealt with two obvious issues...
A) FPW books
B) RJ movie=-- heck I looked (quickly) into the links dealing with the movie and it talked about was
"Written by Chris Morgan"
"Production Company - Beacon Pictures"

Now in the two links that I looked into regarding the movie -- only one of them even mentioned FPW -- for some reason one didn't even give credit to FPW for the original novel and that pissed me off.....

The other link I took a quick look at was interesting -- it was
http://members.tripod.com/blewer-d/buffjack.htm

At that site it appears RJ -- has made it into a Buffy the Vampire Slayer card game ... you know those new super hero card games that put say spiderman vs doc oc ...

Guess you could do one hell of a lot worse then being listed with the "slayer" but I have to admit now that they show the "Stats for Jack" I want to know how tough the others heroes and creatures are...I guess I just want to make sure RJ is properly classified..

ShadowLord
jimbow8   04-25-2005, 03:50 PM
I wanna know if FPW gave proper permission for that. :confused: It is quite obviously the same character, even references The Tomb.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
ShadowLord   04-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Yea I wondered if I was opening a can of worms with that link and didnt really care -- after all the "Character belongs to FPW" and he should have full rights...

I was guessing that maybe its "Adam Coleman" personal addition to the slayer game..and most likely unauthorized or it wouldnt be there..I have never even seen or heard of that RPG so who knows -- if its actually published the FPW deserves "cash" for use of his character..if it was just a person who plays that game who happens to enjoy RJ -- and just posted it on the net himself -- then no bigger (except perhaps to FPW).
Beats me but I figured it was worth posting because we all like RJ or we wouldnt belong to this site.

ShadowLord
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I wanna know if FPW gave proper permission for that. :confused: It is quite obviously the same character, even references The Tomb.

I like to think Paul exaults on a Higher Plane. (But then, none of us has heard him and his agent talking, have we? :eek: )
Marc   04-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Well, I'm not Paul but if I saw this I'd be flattered. The guys not making money off it, the guy isn't claiming ownership... it's a character for a RPG. Now, granted, he doesn't mention F. Paul Wilson in the character sheet at all but he does have a link to The Tomb on Amazon so, indirectly, he's listing Paul as the creator of Jack.

But that's just me.
Scott Hajek   04-25-2005, 10:10 PM
The question shouldn't be did Paul grant any rights to create this character. It's obviously a fan. The questions should be: does Paul agree with the stats?

There have been many popular characters given a statistical breakdown for use in various role-playing games. It was about time RJ became one. But, is it accurate?

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
fpw   04-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Marc B. Wrote:Well, I'm not Paul but if I saw this I'd be flattered. The guys not making money off it, the guy isn't claiming ownership... it's a character for a RPG. Now, granted, he doesn't mention F. Paul Wilson in the character sheet at all but he does have a link to The Tomb on Amazon so, indirectly, he's listing Paul as the creator of Jack.

But that's just me.

And that would be me except that the legal system compels me to address this in order to protect my rights to the character. If I don't, Jack runs the risk of becoming public domain. And then anybody can write an RJ story/novel.

This is why I can't condone or allow fan fiction.

Damn. I don't have time for this.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Ken Valentine   04-25-2005, 10:46 PM
fpw Wrote:And that would be me except that the legal system compels me to address this in order to protect my rights to the character. If I don't, Jack runs the risk of becoming public domain. And then anybody can write an RJ story/novel.

At the bottom of that site there is a place for "comments." You might consider writing a note to "jen-dave," who may be the owner of the site, and mention that if Adam Coleman doesn't remove RJ from his game he might (would?) be inviting something which can be summed up in two words . . . Punitive Damages!

Ken V.

P.S.

I sent the following:

Jen - Dave:

I noticed that on your site, Adam Coleman is using the character of Repairman Jack . . . without the permission of his creator, F. Paul Wilson.

This is most unwise. Dr. Wilson has just been informed of this situation, so you can probably expect to be hearing from him in the very near future.

Sincerely,
Ken Valentine
This post was last modified: 04-25-2005, 11:03 PM by Ken Valentine.
Marc   04-25-2005, 11:01 PM
fpw Wrote:This is why I can't condone or allow fan fiction.

Sorry to hear about the woes. My best goes out to you in resolving this issue.
jimbow8   04-26-2005, 12:01 AM
fpw Wrote:And that would be me except that the legal system compels me to address this in order to protect my rights to the character. If I don't, Jack runs the risk of becoming public domain. And then anybody can write an RJ story/novel.

Isn't this what agents and/or lawyers are for? Or do you normally just do this stuff yourself?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (3): 1 2 3