Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
Jay #1   05-03-2005, 04:09 PM
I did notice some sequences where the glasses were required. I was curious why nobody announced it though.

Scott Hajek Wrote:For those of you who haven't seen it, or are planning on a second viewing, bring your 3-D glasses. I just found this from an interview with the director:
Scott Hajek   05-03-2005, 06:23 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:To which sequence is he referring?

One sequence is the "floating head" of Simon Jones the original Arthur Dent that announces the oncoming nuclear missiles from ancient Magrathea.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Jay #1   05-03-2005, 07:09 PM
heck, I didn't recognize him. *grin* I do think however that he was a better Arthur Dent

Scott Hajek Wrote:One sequence is the "floating head" of Simon Jones the original Arthur Dent that announces the oncoming nuclear missiles from ancient Magrathea.
maxplay   05-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Saw the movie this weekend with my wife and son (he's reviewing it for the school paper--gave it a B-), then I read the book over the past few days. Overall, I thought they followed the source material fairly close--a lot more closely than most films, anyway. I think the author would have been mostly pleased. As usual, I enjoyed the book more and went out and bought The Restaurant at the End of the Universe this afternoon.

In regards to taking young children to see this movie, as someone already pointed out in a previous post, the John Malkovich character was the only part that I think might be too scary.

Always Play the Max!
Kenji   05-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Still, I'm looking for book.....According to publisher, it's already Out Of Stock. I want to get the book before I see movie.

BTW, this is Japanese edition's cover illustration. Can you believe that this is "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ? Big Grin

http://www.fukkan.com/images/item/3136894-1.jpg
Ken Valentine   05-12-2005, 04:08 PM
matthewsmommy Wrote:This is rated PG and Matthew won't stop talking about it. It looks slightly harmless, but I would really like an opinion before I take him to see it. I know some of you will watch it. Let me know if it's scary, funny, whatever. Watch for anything that could possibly hide in a closet or under a bed. I would really appreciate the input. . . . . He's 5, BTW.

Here's a review by a friend of mine.

http://www.ncc-1776.com/tle2005/tle318-20050508-02.html

Ken V.
jimbow8   05-12-2005, 04:38 PM
That's a weird review. I obviously disagree with his views on the book, since I liked it and he didn't. I did like the movie, as did he, because it "is full of delightful surprises and a strangely inexorable logic."

I was interested in his statement that "H.G. Wells had said that a good story should involve only one major change." I have never heard such a thing (I am more of a Fantasy/Horror reader), so I was wondering what others think of this claim.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
maxplay   05-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Finished L!fe, the Un!verse and Everyth!ng this afternoon and started So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (these are very quick reads). So far I've enjoyed the third book the most.

Always Play the Max!
Dave   05-13-2005, 06:47 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I was interested in his statement that "H.G. Wells had said that a good story should involve only one major change." I have never heard such a thing (I am more of a Fantasy/Horror reader), so I was wondering what others think of this claim.

The same idea hollywood has that if you can summarize the plot and excite a potential viewer in one sentence then it is a winner. "Dinosaurs brought to life in modern times through DNA". "A machine from the future comes back in time to kill the mother of a resistance leader before he is born". "Half way through having memories of an ex scrubbed from your mind you change your mind, but can't stop it!". And that last one was one of the most complex scripts of last year.

And for the most part I agree. Some of the best stories, the ones most often repeated, have a simple but clever factor, going back to the article, HGW's stories have often been imitated and regurgitated for modern times.

Not to say you can't do more, but almost all successful stories can be boiled down to one sentence.

Dave
Kenji   09-10-2005, 05:15 AM
At last, I went to thater see "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy"! I really enjoyed it! What a hilarious opening scene!

Yesterday I just finished reading book, and today I saw movie. Both were great. Sam Rockwell was perfect for Zephod. Ford(Mos Def) and Arthur(Martin Freeman), they were not bad. And.....Marvin! It cracked me up. Big Grin

I'm lookig foward to DVD.....(maybe next year)

By the way, do you know the answer of "answer to life the universe and everything"? I found the ultimate answer......Click here!
This post was last modified: 09-10-2005, 05:35 AM by Kenji.
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6