Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
Biggles   04-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Baelzar Wrote:
Yeah right, and I'm gonna write a couple of [COLOR=red]Young Carrie novels to show how she was actually a brat before her mother laid down the law....hey, wait a minute. fpw...F. Paul Wilson?!

You can't just answer any lame question your fans post here! Especially a "first post special" like mine! It's not fair! You've gotta remain aloof, man!

Aloof? You got the wrong author!

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
law dawg   04-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Baelzar Wrote:[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Sounds like a real hoopy frood. When's the next get-together?

Does he know where his towel is?
law dawg   04-08-2005, 02:12 PM
I also am interested in Jack's workout regimen. I remember it was described in The Tomb but wasn't real specific (except TKD moves (not my fave MA but ok), jump rope (amazing exercise) and the like). I imagine him doing something like several of us do that can be found at http://www.crossfit.com but was curious as to what FPW thought was ideal for a guy like RJ. His ability to soak up considerable punishment and come back a few months later, and healthy at that, is pretty admirable (of course some literary license may always be taken but maybe RJ is getting a little Outside help too?? Shades of Glaeken? Shades of Barry Bonds? Wink ) as well.

Also, I know RJ is descibed as "average" height and weight, but has it ever been discussed how tall/how much he weighs as well? I think I remember 5'10 or 11 but am not sure and no weight as I can remember. Anyone with a better idea?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Kenji Wrote:That's really good idea! If you write "Repairboy Jack", I'm looking forward to it. Smile

"Repairlad Jack," mebbe? :p
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-12-2005, 02:35 AM
law dawg Wrote:I also am interested in Jack's workout regimen. I remember it was described in The Tomb but wasn't real specific (except TKD moves (not my fave MA but ok), jump rope (amazing exercise) and the like). I imagine him doing something like several of us do that can be found at http://www.crossfit.com but was curious as to what FPW thought was ideal for a guy like RJ. His ability to soak up considerable punishment and come back a few months later, and healthy at that, is pretty admirable (of course some literary license may always be taken but maybe RJ is getting a little Outside help too?? Shades of Glaeken? Shades of Barry Bonds? Wink ) as well.

Also, I know RJ is descibed as "average" height and weight, but has it ever been discussed how tall/how much he weighs as well? I think I remember 5'10 or 11 but am not sure and no weight as I can remember. Anyone with a better idea?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I'm visiting friends in the wilds of CT, listening to crickets howl at the Moon (that's what they're doing, right?--hey, I'm a city kid!), so I don't have the books at hand. But I think it's mentioned in ALL THE RAGE and CRISSCROSS that Jack's taken some martial arts training.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-12-2005, 02:48 AM
Baelzar Wrote:I've only read The Tomb, All The Rage and Hosts, but I haven't seen mention where Jack learned the violent skills of his trade.

Guy is able to handle a couple of military goons; how'd he get good enough to do that? :confused:

Will this be revealed in the books I've missed?

I think a lot of success in fighting stems from the proper attitude. Don't forget, Jack had the cullions to (twice!) go hand-to-hand with a rakosh. If you can do that and live to talk about it, you're like a graduate of Navy SEAL training--you =know= you're bad. But as Paul says, Jack wasn't...quite...himself when he put the hurt on the goons. And oh, yeah, Baelzar--welcome to the board!
This post was last modified: 04-12-2005, 05:23 AM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Sangwyn   04-12-2005, 11:28 AM
FPW, if you do write about our fair boy Jack as a lad, does this mean that we get the opportunity to meet the last member of the family on the page? Since Tommy is coming up in Infernal, could you grant us a glimpse of Mom in the Young Jack books?

Not to mention how he met Abe...
Keith the Elder   04-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Baelzar Wrote:I've only read The Tomb, All The Rage and Hosts, but I haven't seen mention where Jack learned the violent skills of his trade.

Guy is able to handle a couple of military goons; how'd he get good enough to do that? :confused:

Will this be revealed in the books I've missed?

Welcome to the board.

If I may be so bold as to suggest, you might give that "Haiku Anyone" thread a gander. WARNING: It's Addictive

keith the elder
law dawg   04-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I'm visiting friends in the wilds of CT, listening to crickets howl at the Moon (that's what they're doing, right?--hey, I'm a city kid!), so I don't have the books at hand. But I think it's mentioned in ALL THE RAGE and CRISSCROSS that Jack's taken some martial arts training.
Yeah, but what? I know TKD was mentioned in The Tomb but that is all I remember. And TKD is a sport, not really SD (self defense), which is what RJ needs.

And am curious as to why RJ gets healthy so quick when he suffers such debilitating injuries in his books. Adreneline will work in the short run but he comes back awful quick. FPW is a medical practioner and knows this. So, my question is : is it literary license (always a justifiable reason - selling books is first and foremost) or is RJ gettng some help?

Also more on what FPW thinks his workouts should be. There was only that one segment in The Tomb as I recall. RJ is looking for fighting functionality so he needs to be show AND go - strength training, muscular endurance, flexibility as well as a cardio aspect. I train using certain modalities to incorporate all of these aspects into one regimen as having segmented training leads to a segmented capacity. And you must train at unsustainable intensities to optimize physical capacity.
Maggers   04-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Keith the Elder Wrote:Welcome to the board.

If I may be so bold as to suggest, you might give that "Haiku Anyone" thread a gander. WARNING: It's Addictive

keith the elder

Keith,
You're so cute. Promoting our haiku home! Big Grin

And welcome to the Board, Baelzar. I read your first haiku. Very nice! Thanks for playing with us.

Maggers

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (4):    1 2 3 4