RepairmanJack.com Forums
Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? (/thread-867.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Baelzar - 04-07-2005

I've only read The Tomb, All The Rage and Hosts, but I haven't seen mention where Jack learned the violent skills of his trade.

Guy is able to handle a couple of military goons; how'd he get good enough to do that? :confused:

Will this be revealed in the books I've missed?

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - fpw - 04-07-2005

Baelzar Wrote:Guy is able to handle a couple of military goons; how'd he get good enough to do that?

Don't forget -- he was, shall we say, enhanced at the time.

Baelzar Wrote:Will this be revealed in the books I've missed?[/FONT]

No. But I have a fairly good idea of how he learned. I'm thinking of somewhere down the line writing a couple of Young Jack novels to show his development.

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Kenji - 04-07-2005

fpw Wrote: But I have a fairly good idea of how he learned. I'm thinking of somewhere down the line writing a couple of Young Jack novels to show his development.

That's really good idea! If you write "Repairboy Jack", I'm looking forward to it. Smile

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Jay #1 - 04-07-2005

That could be good or bad. Not that you couldn't pull it off. Heck, Black Wind appealed to me despite the fact I got sick of the Ninja type stories several years ago.

The only series I've ever seen that did a good "Hero's young years" was Young Indiana Jones. I do remember a bad series... it was an old Superboy cartoon. Where Clark Kent flew around his home town as a teenager and saved lives. In his costume no less.

No. But I have a fairly good idea of how he learned. I'm thinking of somewhere down the line writing a couple of Young Jack novels to show his development. [/QUOTE]

fpw Wrote:Don't forget -- he was, shall we say, enhanced at the time.
Yeah, okay, duh on me. My fat grandma coulda handled them on that stuff.
fpw Wrote:No. But I have a fairly good idea of how he learned. I'm thinking of somewhere down the line writing a couple of Young Jack novels to show his development.
Yeah right, and I'm gonna write a couple of Young Carrie novels to show how she was actually a brat before her mother laid down the law....hey, wait a minute. fpw...F. Paul Wilson?!

You can't just answer any lame question your fans post here! Especially a "first post special" like mine! It's not fair! You've gotta remain aloof, man!

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - jimbow8 - 04-07-2005

Baelzar Wrote:....hey, wait a minute. fpw...F. Paul Wilson?!

You can't just answer any lame question your fans post here! Especially a "first post special" like mine! It's not fair! You've gotta remain aloof, man!
Yep, that's the man. If you stick around, you'll have the opportunity to chat frequently and *gasp* even meet him. We just had a get together (known as G.U. - Grand Unification) back in February at Walt Disney World.

Welcome to the board, Baelzar.

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Maggers - 04-07-2005

Welcome to the board, Baelzar.

Yup, FPW is the man, himself. And he routinely checks in with the board. I remember the first time he answered a post of mine and I was stunned. I asked if he was really F. Paul Wilson and he answered, "Who did you expect....Nora Roberts?"

I fell off my chair laughing and in shock.

And when you meet him, if you do, you'll discover that he is as sane and normal and NICE as anyone you will ever meet. A great guy with a great family, too.

Maggers Wrote:(snippered) And when you meet him, if you do, you'll discover that he is as sane and normal and NICE as anyone you will ever meet. A great guy with a great family, too.
Sounds like a real hoopy frood. When's the next get-together?

I get to as many WorldCons as I can; when I found myself having coffee with Larry Niven and Lois McMaster Bujold, I was hooked. Meeting the people who had given me so much "imagination fuel" was a serious trip. "How do you take your coffee, Mr. Niven?" Hee hee.

I expect fpw and I would have similar worldviews, unless Jack's and Abe's philosophies are purely an act.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Maggers - 04-07-2005

Baelzar Wrote:Sounds like a real hoopy frood. When's the next get-together?

The next official GU is GU 5 in London, sometime Spring of 2006. Read the "appearances and conferences forum" threads and you'll see. There might be other, in-between GU's, like a GU 4.5 in Madision, Wisconsin in November or a GU 4.75 in California.

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Biggles - 04-07-2005

fpw Wrote:No. But I have a fairly good idea of how he learned. I'm thinking of somewhere down the line writing a couple of Young Jack novels to show his development.

"Fairly good idea"? If you don't know, who could?
Smile
I'm sure most of RJ's fans, and everyone here, would love to see Young Jack books. I think it's a natural.