Pages (2): 1 2   
stacyzinda123   04-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Has anyone else watached this show? Yesterday was the second episode and it was a lot better than the first. It's not as funny as I was hoping, but I had a couple good laughs. There's just not very many sitcoms I like right now. Scrubs cracks me up, but that's about it. Anyway, anybody else have thoughts?
Maggers   04-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Stacy,
I've also been watching "The Office" waiting for it to be funny. It lacks the whacky humor of the wonderful British original, which leaves me cringing and laughing hysterically at the same time. I'm not sure this version is going to make it. I wish it would, but I don't think it will.

I like the sitcom "Two and a Half Men" with Charlie Sheen, and "Scrubs," of course. "2.5 Men" isn't the best, but it does make me laugh.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Marc   04-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Maggers Wrote:I've also been watching "The Office" waiting for it to be funny. It lacks the whacky humor of the wonderful British original, which leaves me cringing and laughing hysterically at the same time.

I don't care for either, really. The thing that killed the British version for me was the laugh track. For some reason it was even more annoying than the typical American sitcom.

I'm sure it was good but being told when to laugh doesn't sit well with me. That's probably why I don't watch television much these days.
Dave   04-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Marc B. Wrote:I don't care for either, really. The thing that killed the British version for me was the laugh track. For some reason it was even more annoying than the typical American sitcom.

I didn't like the British version because of the cringing nature of the humour, I hate embarrassing (sp?) humour. But your mention of a laugh track is interesting, I didn't think there was one, I don't recall one on the odd occasion I watched five minutes (about as much as I could bear).

I'll have to investigate further (ie ask around), but I'm wondering if they added the laugh track for US audiences, which I find strangely amusing. Big Grin

Dave
Marc   04-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Dave Wrote:But your mention of a laugh track is interesting, I didn't think there was one, I don't recall one on the odd occasion I watched five minutes (about as much as I could bear).

Maybe there isn't one and I'm just hallucinating. In any event, I still didn't think it was funny.
jimbow8   04-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Marc B. Wrote:Maybe there isn't one and I'm just hallucinating. In any event, I still didn't think it was funny.
Maybe it was just the normal laughter you hear in your head. :p

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Hajek   04-06-2005, 02:36 PM
There are some funny moments in the US version of the show. But, usually they are similar to laughing at someone in great pain or suffering. I don't mind the show, but it just makes me want to watch the original version more. Very much like watching the US version of Dr. Who. It wasn't bad, but made me want to see the original more.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
stacyzinda123   04-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:There are some funny moments in the US version of the show. But, usually they are similar to laughing at someone in great pain or suffering. I don't mind the show, but it just makes me want to watch the original version more. Very much like watching the US version of Dr. Who. It wasn't bad, but made me want to see the original more.
I've never seen the original version of the show. Where can I catch it?
APhew   04-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Marc B. Wrote:Maybe there isn't one and I'm just hallucinating. In any event, I still didn't think it was funny.

There is no laugh track on the original British one. That's what really made it funny for me. The uncomfortable moments had just dead air. It's the kind of show you have to view twice. Once to get past all the uncomfortable moments and then once that's over with a second time to laugh and laugh and laugh... my wife and I loved it on the second viewing.
Maggers   04-06-2005, 05:12 PM
APhew Wrote:There is no laugh track on the original British one. That's what really made it funny for me. The uncomfortable moments had just dead air. It's the kind of show you have to view twice. Once to get past all the uncomfortable moments and then once that's over with a second time to laugh and laugh and laugh... my wife and I loved it on the second viewing.

Perfect description, APhew, perfect. My experience exactly. I didn't think there was a laugh track because I was so acutely aware of the silences around the wonky moments.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (2): 1 2