Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
fpw   04-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Once...loved...baseball?! :eek:

I find it unwatchable now (except for the Yankees-Sox series last year). Worse than watching paint dry. Like watching a hand of bananas...turn brown...in Huntington, MA.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-05-2005, 11:06 PM
fpw Wrote:I find it unwatchable now (except for the Yankees-Sox series last year). Worse than watching paint dry. Like watching a hand of bananas...turn brown...in Huntington, MA.

But why? What's changed from the Long-Ago, All-But-Forgotten Days of Our Youth? (Other than the loathesome DH rule, of course.)
fpw   04-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:But why? What's changed from the Long-Ago, All-But-Forgotten Days of Our Youth? (Other than the loathesome DH rule, of course.)

The game's changed and I guess I haven't been able to change with it. The players have become avaricious, steroid-sucking clods, loyal not to the team or to the game but to the almighty buck.

The game's lost its innocence. Or maybe I've lost mine.

Or maybe...the game's changed, but I've changed more.

I simply do not care anymore.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
DaveStrorm   04-06-2005, 07:15 PM
I still love "baseball." I don't love watching MLB nearly as much as I did when I was a kid. Like a lot of kids, I collected cards by the ton and dreamed I would be a major leaguer someday. I knew all the stats of all the players, etc. I actually think I learned fractions and division from needing to calculate batting averages and ERAs. Sadly that dream ended when I went to college and realized finally I was stuck with computer science and math majors and no baseball scouts were calling me.

But I still have the love of the game itself. And I would much, much rather go to a game than watch one on TV. Especially after college basketball season when watching a game on TV is like watching paint dry. Even so, I find that by somewhere around midseason I can actually sit down and watch a whole game on TV.

In the last few years I have been watching a lot of Class A baseball (since we now have a local team) and not making nearly as many 1.5 hour trips up to Cincinnati to watch the Reds. These guys actually seem to be putting forth some effort and don't look like Ahnold. I urge people who are fed up with MLB to watch minor league games or even college, HS, or youth league games. I think you may find them much more enjoyable.
maxplay   04-06-2005, 08:00 PM
fpw Wrote:The game's changed and I guess I haven't been able to change with it. The players have become avaricious, steroid-sucking clods, loyal not to the team or to the game but to the almighty buck.

I mourn your loss... Sad

I will still follow my long suffering Royals and longer suffering Cubbies. For all of baseball's problems, I still can't turn away from it. I still find the best way for me to unwind after work is to turn on WGN or FOX Sports, zap a Nathan's Famous hot dog and twist open a Rolling Rock. Smile

Always Play the Max!
Sam   04-06-2005, 09:51 PM
DaveStrorm Wrote:In the last few years I have been watching a lot of Class A baseball (since we now have a local team) and not making nearly as many 1.5 hour trips up to Cincinnati to watch the Reds. These guys actually seem to be putting forth some effort and don't look like Ahnold. I urge people who are fed up with MLB to watch minor league games or even college, HS, or youth league games. I think you may find them much more enjoyable.

I was lucky to see the Big Red Machine play once in 1976. They lost to S.F. 1-0 but I can still remember George Foster making a leaping catch that astounded me. I still have a Reds bat bought at that game with Concepcion's signature (not hand signed, unfortunately).

I went to a Charleston Charlies (now called Storm) game last year and I have to say it was great. No showboating or inflated egos. Just plain old baseball.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
jimbow8   04-06-2005, 10:58 PM
DaveStrorm Wrote:I still love "baseball." I don't love watching MLB nearly as much as I did when I was a kid. Like a lot of kids, I collected cards by the ton and dreamed I would be a major leaguer someday. I knew all the stats of all the players, etc. I actually think I learned fractions and division from needing to calculate batting averages and ERAs. Sadly that dream ended when I went to college and realized finally I was stuck with computer science and math majors and no baseball scouts were calling me.

But I still have the love of the game itself. And I would much, much rather go to a game than watch one on TV. Especially after college basketball season when watching a game on TV is like watching paint dry. Even so, I find that by somewhere around midseason I can actually sit down and watch a whole game on TV.

In the last few years I have been watching a lot of Class A baseball (since we now have a local team) and not making nearly as many 1.5 hour trips up to Cincinnati to watch the Reds. These guys actually seem to be putting forth some effort and don't look like Ahnold. I urge people who are fed up with MLB to watch minor league games or even college, HS, or youth league games. I think you may find them much more enjoyable.
I like minor league games a lot more than MLB. They take care of the fans.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Ken Valentine   04-07-2005, 09:48 AM
fpw Wrote:The game's changed and I guess I haven't been able to change with it. The players have become avaricious, steroid-sucking clods, loyal not to the team or to the game but to the almighty buck.

In his most recent novel, THE AMERICAN ZONE, El Neil Smith ( Big Grin ) describes a baseball game in the "North American Confederacy." By NAC rules, the nine players on the field play a different position each inning. If you are, for example, the catcher in the first inning, you play first base in the second inning. The following inning, you play second base, and so on. If the game goes into extra innings you start the rotation all over again.

Now THAT could get me out to see a ball game. Big Grin

I also liked the name of the ball park; NONE-OF-THE-ABOVE STADIUM, named after the current President of the NAC. Big Grin

Ken V.
remylass   04-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Everyone should see this film. I don't care if you don't really like baseball. The acting was wonderful, and the story was awesome. It was a little sad, but it was a very good film.
Ken Valentine   04-08-2005, 07:00 PM
remylass Wrote:Everyone should see this film. I don't care if you don't really like baseball. The acting was wonderful, and the story was awesome. It was a little sad, but it was a very good film.

What film is that?

Ken V.
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6