Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6   
fpw   04-03-2005, 09:18 AM
An HBO film, directed by Billy Crystal.

I don't know what *61 will mean to the younger members here, but for someone like me who watched the papers every day to see who was ahead in the home run race between Mantle and Maris, it was a time machine.

I was a Dodger fan as a kid, but I remember rooting for the Mick. In the film I was rooting for Maris.

I think anyone who loves (or, as in my case, once loved) baseball will love this film.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
maxplay   04-03-2005, 10:17 AM
I don't think they could have cast this film any better. Thomas Jane was perfect as Mickey Mantle and Barry Pepper is one of the most underrated character actors out there today.

Always Play the Max!
KRW   04-03-2005, 12:30 PM
My wife bought this on dvd at the Dollar Store. It is now one of my favorite movies. You got to like them eggs!

KRW
The Mad American   04-03-2005, 10:27 PM
fpw Wrote:An HBO film, directed by Billy Crystal.

I don't know what *61 will mean to the younger members here, but for someone like me who watched the papers every day to see who was ahead in the home run race between Mantle and Maris, it was a time machine.

I was a Dodger fan as a kid, but I remember rooting for the Mick. In the film I was rooting for Maris.

I think anyone who loves (or, as in my case, once loved) baseball will love this film.

Even being a hard core Yankee hater I really enjoyed this movie. Great acting by the two guys as Mantle and Maris and really made you feel for the situation Maris was in.

I still love baseball. Even with all the crap going on in it now the game itself remains pure to me unlike most other sports were they have changed rules to make it easier for players with less talent to play (the no charge circle in the NBA is a joke, allowing players to just bull their way to the basket, or defensive backs in the NFL not being able to hit guys anymore....)

Sorry for the almost rant. Guess I should just say, yes I agree very good movie.
Gerald Rice   04-04-2005, 04:23 PM

They filmed part of this in Tiger stadium because the Tigers are now in Comerica Park. I guess Tiger stadium is one of the few remaining original stadiums in how the seats were built. They painted them blue or green, whichever color they weren't already.
Annice Burdeos   04-04-2005, 07:17 PM
maxplay Wrote:I don't think they could have cast this film any better. Thomas Jane was perfect as Mickey Mantle and Barry Pepper is one of the most underrated character actors out there today.

I saw this in its premiere run on HBO and I couldn't agree with you more. This is one of the few times that Hollywood got it right.

As someone who knew nothing of Maris' historic run to 61, this provided me with a poignant insight made all the more meaningful when Mark McGuire broke the record.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-04-2005, 10:45 PM

Once...loved...baseball?! :eek:
Weatherford   04-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Can this be bought/rented? (for those without HBO?)

I used to love to go to Yankee games, and even have a photo of Mickey Mantle at bat! Granted, it was taken with a Brownie camera from the top of the stands, so, you barely see that there is a batter then, much less the famous #7, but - it's the thought (memory) that counts!

Wink
Scott Miller   04-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Weatherford Wrote:Can this be bought/rented? (for those without HBO?)

It should be available practically anywhere.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Mr_Falcon   04-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Once...loved...baseball?! :eek:

I was thinking the same thing.
Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6