Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7   
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Baxx Wrote:I forget that every shop in every squadron calls themselves something different. Nowadays I work at Lowes, of all places. I bounced around a lot when I got out, and I ended up there. Retail sucks most of the time, but it pays the bills and lets my wife stay home with our son. Working on B-1s made me feel like sisyphus. I suppose if I'd been flying them I'd still be doing it too.

Are the B-1s that bad, Baxx?
the Oracle   11-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Kenji Wrote:Oh, sorry!!! :p

America, England, Australia, Scotland, Canada(Oh, I forgot Canada! sorry...), one young Chinese girl, and one Japanese.
It is VERY easy to forget Canada!

(;

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

"Adventure is worthwile in itself."
—Amelia Earhart
jimbow8   11-28-2004, 11:59 PM
the Oracle Wrote:It is VERY easy to forget Canada!

(;
It's the second easiest country on earth to forget, behind only Russia.

Oh, wait!! That's largest area. Sorry! :p

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Ken Valentine   11-29-2004, 02:17 AM
SteveBlack Wrote:Kenji - Don't forget Bonny Scotland!!!

Or Ireland either, now that you mention it. (Weatherford, IIRC.)

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   11-29-2004, 02:20 AM
the Oracle Wrote:It is VERY easy to forget Canada!

(;

Not if you've ever been there. Wink

Who is the Canadian on the board?

Ken V.
Kenji   11-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Who is the Canadian on the board?

Ken V.

indiegent, Kevin O' Brien, Nemo. They live in Canada.

Now I have a time, so I saw Members List. Our members live in America, England, Scotland, Canada, Australia, Ireland, Japan......and I found Germany! But surprisingly, other than me, two members live in Japan. Wolf333 and Rorschach.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Kenji Wrote:indiegent, Kevin O' Brien, Nemo. They live in Canada.

Now I have a time, so I saw Members List. Our members live in America, England, Scotland, Canada, Australia, Ireland, Japan......and I found Germany! But surprisingly, other than me, two members live in Japan. Wolf333 and Rorschach.

The more, the merrier, partner. Ain't that nice!
flyboy707   11-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Are the B-1s that bad, Baxx?

For those of us who flew them, I found them a NIGHTMARE. Serious controllability issues (which resulted in an additional huge amount of money being spent to make them stable) Constant engine flame-outs (or complete destruction of the engine that caused many losses of aircraft), avionics failures, defensive packages that were easily defeated, constant problems with the swept-wing (mechanically and the computer control), etc etc. NONE of these issues were because of the USAF maintenenace guys (very dedicated people, who were stuck working on something that was plagued with designed problems).

Up until just a few years ago, my basic Palm Pilot had more computing power than the entire package on-board one these monstrosities! An avionics and computer upgrade made them better, but I was already flying KC-135R refuelers by then. Baxx, could probably give you a better insight to the maintenance nightmare, but out of the 7 we had for our squadron, usually only 2 were flyable at any given time.

A HUGE waste of tax payer's money for a plane that the USAF ABSOLUTELY DID NOT WANT OR NEED. Politics...the senator that finally pushed them down our throats happened to be from the home-state that the initial B-1A and B-1B models were built.

"There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other that you can boast about it."
Ken Valentine   11-30-2004, 12:39 AM
flyboy707 Wrote:A HUGE waste of tax payer's money for a plane that the USAF ABSOLUTELY DID NOT WANT OR NEED. Politics...the senator that finally pushed them down our throats happened to be from the home-state that the initial B-1A and B-1B models were built.

The kind of politician who is usually referred to as a "Pork Hawk."

And ALL the services get it, not just the Air Force.

The last fiasco like that I remember was the M-1 Abram's Tank. Instead of a conventional diesel engine, it had a turbine engine, which was good for Chrysler, but it needed almost weekly air filter changes, and it took 8-hours to change that very expensive filter . . . and that was not in a dusty or sandy environment. It would have been a disaster in the desert.

Ken V.
flyboy707   11-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:The kind of politician who is usually referred to as a "Pork Hawk."

And ALL the services get it, not just the Air Force.

The last fiasco like that I remember was the M-1 Abram's Tank. Instead of a conventional diesel engine, it had a turbine engine, which was good for Chrysler, but it needed almost weekly air filter changes, and it took 8-hours to change that very expensive filter . . . and that was not in a dusty or sandy environment. It would have been a disaster in the desert.

Ken V.

UGH ! That sound like a serious pain in the butt...typical political crap...and who gets blamed for the waste?? Not the Rep or Sen that pushed it, but the military....sounds like what is going on with the latest generaion og C-130s (the C-130J).....but that's another story...... :mad:

"There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other that you can boast about it."
Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7