Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-19-2004, 09:09 PM
flyboy707 Wrote:I guess I should have said I was strictly adhering to US operated aircraft for our talks. You are correct about the German version of the F-104. They tried to use the plane as a strike fighter instead of as an air-to-air and the airframe just couldn't handle it. There were many reports of over g-ing the plane and them literally disintergrating in-flight. I called a buddy of mine in Gielenkirchen AB (NATO air base operated by the Germans) and he filled me in on that information.

The USAF does have a large number special F-18s used for specialty missions (not so much Spec Ops, but other types of special missions). The F-15 C,D,J and all models of the F-16s still carry the role of the major SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defense), Strikes, Intercepts, AAs etc, but the F-18s are helping in some of the more "special" missions. From what we hear in the aircrew community, the USAF is holding out for the F-22 instead of getting major numbers of F18s. In the long haul, the F-22 will be more versatile and cheaper.

The F-22 will be more easy to intergrate into what we call the "Iron Triangle". This is composed of three very special,black ops, specialty planes deployed into conflicts. An E-3 Sentry (AWACs), a Rivet-Joint (aka RJ) and an E-8 JSTARs. These three planes do very distinct and different missions and link together to control and command airspace and ground theaters.

Again, Flyboy, thanks for the inside scoop. Always like to get the latest on Air Force aircraft and doctrine. (Hey, when I was a kid, I spent many, many happy hours assembling and painting Ravell models--everything from P-51 Mustangs to F-89 Scorpions to the Navy's strange and wonderful Cutlass. My interest in airpower hasn't changed much, if at all, I guess.)
Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7