Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
Bawp   11-11-2004, 07:29 AM
Hey people, thanks for all your replies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbow8
Don't forget what Sara Lom did to little Danny!!!

Quote: the Oracle:
Quote:And Herb for that matter...

* chilling *

Quote: Maggers:
Quote:And Lisl! The relationship between Rafe and Lisl is absolutely chilling!

I'm guessing this is stuff that happened in Reborn and Reprisal? Looks like I managed to miss out some interesting stuff concerning good old Molasar.

Quote: the Oracle
Quote:
Flagg was also the wizard Marten from the gunslinger series. And, here is a tidbit for you about Flagg... Anthrax wrote a song about him called: "Among the Living" (on the album of the same name)... Flagg even appears on the cover!

Thanks for that...if I do choose to include him (probably will) then I'll be sure to add that to his notes. Thanks!

Quote:How about Mr. Smith or even the entire computer system in the Matrix trilogy.

Lex Luther comes to mind, along with: the Joker, King pin, and other comic book villians.

HAL in 2001.

Satan has been the villian in hundreds of movies and books.

Finally, how about Kurt Barlow from Salem's Lot and the Dark Tower series (he is in both the "Wolves of Calla" and "Song of Susannah")... He is the vampire that Father Callahan fails to destroy.

Got Mr. Smith.

I'm planning on adding a comic book villains section to the directory (although confusingly some of them will have been in films...so do I put them in the film directory too? Aaargh!) - because there's so many they warrant their own section. I'm not hugely into comics though, so beyond the really well known villains I'm apt to miss a few out. Rolleyes

I've never seen 2001 - but I have heard of HAL. It's like a malevolent computer right?

Satan...hmmm I hadn't thought of him. I guess some people might argue the guy is real, and my directory is supposed to be for fictional villains so...I'll have to think about that one.

Barlow is in Wolves of Calla and Song of Susannah? *blinks* I read those just recently and...man I really should pay more attention! Anyway, I'll be putting Barlow in on the basis of 'Salem's Lot alone. Thanks for reminding me! Big Grin

As for the Crimson King, I have read all kinds of crazy theories about who he *might* be, but not actually who he is. One guy actually made a very interesting case that CK was actually Jake Chambers. I didn't see that one coming. Other people say it's Stephen King himself (he DID make those universes) - I've yet to buy Dark Tower VII and thus read it - is any of the ambiguity concerning CK cleared up at all?

Thanks again guys!

'I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.'
Bawp   11-11-2004, 07:37 AM
Hey people, thanks for all your replies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbow8
Don't forget what Sara Lom did to little Danny!!!

Quote: the Oracle:
Quote:And Herb for that matter...

* chilling *

Quote: Maggers:
Quote:And Lisl! The relationship between Rafe and Lisl is absolutely chilling!

I'm guessing this is stuff that happened in Reborn and Reprisal? Looks like I managed to miss out some interesting stuff concerning good old Molasar.

Quote:
Flagg was also the wizard Marten from the gunslinger series. And, here is a tidbit for you about Flagg... Anthrax wrote a song about him called: "Among the Living" (on the album of the same name)... Flagg even appears on the cover!

Thanks for that...if I do choose to include him (probably will) then I'll be sure to add that to his notes. Thanks!

Quote:How about Mr. Smith or even the entire computer system in the Matrix trilogy.

Lex Luther comes to mind, along with: the Joker, King pin, and other comic book villians.

HAL in 2001.

Satan has been the villian in hundreds of movies and books.

Finally, how about Kurt Barlow from Salem's Lot and the Dark Tower series (he is in both the "Wolves of Calla" and "Song of Susannah")... He is the vampire that Father Callahan fails to destroy.

Got Mr. Smith.

I'm planning on adding a comic book villains section to the directory (although confusingly some of them will have been in films...so do I put them in the film directory too? Aaargh!) - because there's so many they warrant their own section. I'm not hugely into comics though, so beyond the really well known villains I'm apt to miss a few out. Rolleyes

I've never seen 2001 - but I have heard of HAL. It's like a malevolent computer right?

Satan...hmmm I hadn't thought of him. I guess some people might argue the guy is real, and my directory is supposed to be for fictional villains so...I'll have to think about that one.

Barlow is in Wolves of Calla and Song of Susannah? *blinks* I read those just recently and...man I really should pay more attention! Anyway, I'll be putting Barlow in on the basis of 'Salem's Lot alone. Thanks for reminding me! Big Grin

As for the Crimson King, I have read all kinds of crazy theories about who he *might* be, but not actually who he is. One guy actually made a very interesting case that CK was actually Jake Chambers. I didn't see that one coming. Other people say it's Stephen King himself (he DID make those universes) - I've yet to buy Dark Tower VII and thus read it - is any of the ambiguity concerning CK cleared up at all?

Thanks again guys!

fpw   11-11-2004, 09:25 AM
I don't know if this has been pointed out before, but Flagg first appeared in The Stand as the personification of evil. His introduction in Chapter 17 is some of King's best writing ever.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   11-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Jamey Sheridan as Randall Flagg, I like this actor in the TV mini-series. He looks good guy, but his eyes are ultimate malice. I saw TV version first, and next I read book. While I reading the book, I always reminded me of his features.
Bawp   11-12-2004, 03:06 PM
FPW originally quoted:
Quote:Flagg first appeared in The Stand as the personification of evil.

I guess in that case he utterly has to go in.

Kenji, I wasn't aware there was a mini series of the Stand? I guess you learn a new thing everyday!

Thanks!

the Oracle   11-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Bawp Wrote:FPW originally quoted:

I guess in that case he utterly has to go in.

Kenji, I wasn't aware there was a mini series of the Stand? I guess you learn a new thing everyday!

Thanks!

It is even available on DVD. All-in-all not a bad adaptation IMHO.

p.s. I thought FPW has made it clear (via his stories) that Satan is a fictional character...

( ;

-Rip

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

"Adventure is worthwile in itself."
—Amelia Earhart
Kenji   11-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Bawp Wrote:Kenji, I wasn't aware there was a mini series of the Stand? I guess you learn a new thing everyday!

Thanks!

Here is detail.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108941/
jimbow8   11-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Kenji Wrote:Here is detail.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108941/
Overall the miniseries is pretty good. It has some subpar acting and is toned down for TV, but still pretty effective. I'd probably rate it at around 6.5-7.5 out of 10.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Biggles   11-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Bawp Wrote:Hi there,

I'm currently working on a website that involves listing and detailing as many classic fictional villains I can think of - and one of those on the top of my list has to be Rasalom/Molasar. I read the majority of the adversary cycle (starting with the Keep) around four or five years back...however I never owned any of the books myself and now that I want to write an entry for Rasalom/Molasar I can't really remember all that much detail about him. The two appearances that stick out in my mind are his incarnation in the Keep and his role in Nightworld - but the details I can remember are too foggy to make a decent enough entry about him.

I know he's this ancient evil entity with immense power, but without the books I can't build up a great picture of him. So it would be great if the people on here could detail him a little more - his origins, his role throughout the adversary cycle etc. Additionally it would be great if people could throw up any memorable quotes about/said by him. Also any ideas on his darkest deed (I figured it was him turning Earth into a Night World) and his finest hour(possibly the same)?

I'll be sure to credit people's input - I just want to do this guy justice, and hopefully anyone who reads about him an interest in the adversary series and the RPJ series.

Also, if anyone has any more suggestions on villains who I should list, please let me know.

Anyway, thanks for your time,

~ Bawp

Count Orlock in Murnau's Nosferatu is classic (played by the incomparable Max Schreck)
The Abominable Dr. Phibes, played by Vincent Price
Prof. Moriarty in the Sherlock Holmes books
Dr. Fu Manchu

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Brian Taylor   11-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Bawp Wrote:I'm guessing this is stuff that happened in Reborn and Reprisal? Looks like I managed to miss out some interesting stuff concerning good old Molasar.

You have not the slightest inkling of just how evil Rasalom is until you've read Reprisal. Don't even think about writing his entry until you've read that book.

Oh, and make sure you stock up on some form of sedative or sopoforic before you start reading it. You'll have trouble sleeping for a while...

(But DO NOT use melatonin. It'll help you sleep, but it will also give you vivid dreams... and you do not want to have dreams about the stuff in Reprisal.)
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6