Pages (3):    1 2 3
Maggers   12-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Sangwyn Wrote:Sorry, Jimbo. I gotta go with Lisa on this one. It is a medically-themed novel, but since the character is pretty much resigned at the outset of the book, the thrill is less about the medical (see Implant to know what I mean) and more about personal exploration. I'm not saying it's not a good book. It is a very good book and I enjoyed it. But a medical thriller ? Not so much. More a "mysteries of the universe" than "Oh God! He's going into OR #8! That's where the anesthesia has been replaced! How will he ever survive? Will they harvest his organs, too?" (Yep, I did see Coma a bit too much as a kid.)

Just my 2¢.
Sangwyn

I have to agree with Lisa and Sangwyn on this one, too. FIFTH HARMONIC is a wonderful story about healing - what it takes, what it's worth to us, what we are willing to do to be healed, and that leads to an examination of our belief systems surrounding health and the universe as a whole. It's really quite metaphysical, when you think about it.

No, the FIFTH HARMONIC may have a toehold in the world of medicine, in that it deals with illness, but it deals with illness by looking at our THOUGHTS and FEELINGS about illness, and what it takes for our HEARTS to heal.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Maggers Wrote:I loved "The Tery," and I just this minute finished "Sibs," which I liked alot. I love the twists and turns FPW always takes, but, even if you know there will be twists, you never know where or with whom or how the twists will manifest. Even the twists are twisty!

They, uh, twist and shout!
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Blake Wrote:*** SPOILER BELOW! ***

There was a second bomb in Coop's body. The first was the obvious one, the second was hidden in case he tried to remove the first.

Sounds similar to another story we've read, doesn't it? Smile

Blake

I'm blanking, Blake...what was the other story? :confused:
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-02-2005, 09:12 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I gotta disagree there. You may not consider it a medical thriller, but if it is not, it is definitely close. It is about disease and treatment and wholistic medicine of a sort.

Jimbo, I don't know jack about medical thrillers (never read one, 'cept for Paul's). But isn't the generic idea a mysterious plague has hit poor humanity, and it's a race against time to find a cure? If that's the case (and I'm the first to say I might be 'way off-base here), then I agree with you about FIFTH HARMONIC. A miniature plague (one guy) and a miniature team of healers (one woman) dealing with it.
Pages (3):    1 2 3