Pages (3):    1 2 3   
jimbow8   10-29-2004, 06:11 PM
Blake Wrote:Superb. In fact, I have a hard time picking a favorite out of the four mentioned (though I don't know if I think of Deep as the Marrow or The Fifth Harmonic as being "medical thrillers" in the sense that the other two are).

You can't go wrong with any of those. I'm not sure which I'd pick up first, but I've always been kind of partial to The Select.

Blake
The Select is my favorite of the non-RJ / non-AC books, I think. Disturbed the hell out of me.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Ken Valentine   10-30-2004, 01:23 AM
hwoolsey Wrote:All of The Adversary Cycle, all of the RJ novels, The Barrens, Freak Show, and Dydeetown World.

Hank

If you liked Dydeetown World, you would also like the other novels it connects to.

Healer
Wheels Within Wheels
An Enemy Of The State
The Tery

Welcome to the board.

Ken V.
Maggers   10-30-2004, 01:28 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:If you liked Dydeetown World, you would also like the other novels it connects to.

Healer
Wheels Within Wheels
An Enemy Of The State
The Tery

Welcome to the board.

Ken V.

I loved "The Tery," and I just this minute finished "Sibs," which I liked alot. I love the twists and turns FPW always takes, but, even if you know there will be twists, you never know where or with whom or how the twists will manifest. Even the twists are twisty!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Just John   11-05-2004, 01:46 PM
hwoolsey Wrote:How are the medical thrillers? I've looked at them several times, but the blurbs don't really do much to attract me

Hank

The medical thrillers are all pretty good, although I haven't read The Fifth Harmonic yet.

I really enjoyed Sims but not as much as Nightkill - it's really twisted.

Another book I haven't read that I'm interested in is The Christmas Thingy, but I'm wondering if it's strickly geared towards kids or would adults find it interesting?

What we really need is a ten-day waiting period and background check before you can buy a Congressman.
mike36799   11-05-2004, 02:25 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:The Select is my favorite of the non-RJ / non-AC books, I think. Disturbed the hell out of me.
/agree, very good book. Had some really nice twists! If you havn't read it I think it's a must have! Cool
KRW   11-07-2004, 12:02 AM
hwoolsey Wrote:How are the medical thrillers? I've looked at them several times, but the blurbs don't really do much to attract me.

Nice to know about Night Kill. I just read about SIMS in one of the other threads and it seems interesting.

I very much enjoy the supernatural stories fpw tells, which I think is why the medical books haven't interested me. If I'm wrong and that element is in them, I'd be happy to stand corrected.

Hank
Medical thriller, Sci-Fi, Horror, Adventure, If it's F. Paul Wilson you cannot go wrong! Big Grin

KRW
Mick C.   11-08-2004, 12:14 AM
I don't normally read medical thrillers, but have read and enjoyed all of FPWs. Like all his works, they are intricately plotted stories with memorable, realistic characters, both the heroes and the villains. I've never read a book he's written and not thought I got good value for the time I spent reading it.

As a bonus, there are occasional links to the Adversary Cycle in the "mainstream" novels...

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Lisa   11-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Just John Wrote:The medical thrillers are all pretty good, although I haven't read The Fifth Harmonic yet.

The Fifth Harmonic is not a medical thriller. Not even close. It is truly in a genre of its own.

Quote:Another book I haven't read that I'm interested in is The Christmas Thingy, but I'm wondering if it's strickly geared towards kids or would adults find it interesting?

The Christmas Thingy is great and I highly recommend it for kids AND adults. In fact, I think the hallmark of a great kids' book is that it can be enjoyed by people of any age. Some of my favorite picture books are The Little House and Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel (both by Virginia Burton), Love You Forever by Robert Munsch, and Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss.

Lisa
jimbow8   11-08-2004, 02:54 AM
Lisa Wrote:The Fifth Harmonic is not a medical thriller. Not even close. It is truly in a genre of its own.

Lisa
I gotta disagree there. You may not consider it a medical thriller, but if it is not, it is definitely close. It is about disease and treatment and wholistic medicine of a sort.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Sangwyn   11-09-2004, 08:44 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I gotta disagree there. You may not consider it a medical thriller, but if it is not, it is definitely close. It is about disease and treatment and wholistic medicine of a sort.

Sorry, Jimbo. I gotta go with Lisa on this one. It is a medically-themed novel, but since the character is pretty much resigned at the outset of the book, the thrill is less about the medical (see Implant to know what I mean) and more about personal exploration. I'm not saying it's not a good book. It is a very good book and I enjoyed it. But a medical thriller ? Not so much. More a "mysteries of the universe" than "Oh God! He's going into OR #8! That's where the anesthesia has been replaced! How will he ever survive? Will they harvest his organs, too?" (Yep, I did see Coma a bit too much as a kid.)

Just my 2¢.
Sangwyn
Pages (3):    1 2 3