jimbow8   03-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Johnny Depp, a meek accountant, travels west to the town of Machine to take a new job only to find that the position he had been promised has been given away. His luck quickly goes bad and he finds himself wanted for multiple murders and on the run. He befriends a Native-American who is either very wise or non-sensical on his journey of escape.

This movie is in black and white and definitely has the flair of an independent movie. The heavy guitar soundtrack by Neil Young has some good moments but overall seems terribly inappropriate. The editing is very jumpy and most scene are very short before cutting away to the next scene. Despite these flaws I was drawn into this movie and was anxious to see what came next. Johnny Depp gives a compelling performance which effectively portrays the transformation of his character yet still conveys his weakness. I can't say that I totally liked (or maybe I didn't quite understand) the ending, but it made sense in the context of the story. I can't remember seeing a movie quite like this one and for that I have to give it credit. I don't know if I should "recommend" this movie as it probably depends largely on your tastes, but if this sounds interesting at all, you should give it a look.

7/10

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Miller   03-14-2005, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=jimbow8 I can't remember seeing a movie quite like this one and for that I have to give it credit. I don't know if I should "recommend" this movie as it probably depends largely on your tastes, but if this sounds interesting at all, you should give it a look. [/QUOTE]

I would offer it as a recommendation if you know and like the director, Jim Jarmusch. It is as offbeat as his other movies which include Coffee and Cigarettes, Night on Earth, Ghost Dog and Mystery Train. He is not one of my favorites, but I end up seeing his movies anyway because they feel full of potential for something special.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I would offer it as a recommendation if you know and like the director, Jim Jarmusch. It is as offbeat as his other movies which include Coffee and Cigarettes, Night on Earth, Ghost Dog and Mystery Train. He is not one of my favorites, but I end up seeing his movies anyway because they feel full of potential for something special.

I found DEAD MAN confused, pretentious, and somehow well worth seeing. Johnny Depp was excellent, as always.
Maggers   03-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Jim,
I can understand your confusion. The film is written and directed by Jim Jarmusch, who really enjoys confounding his audience. It has an interesting supporting cast - Crispin Glover, John Hurt, Robert Mitchum (wow!), Gabriel Byrne and Lance Henriksen. I like Jarmusch's "Coffee and Cigarettes" movies, but I'm not sure about some of his others. But as others have already written, I wind up watching them nevertheless.

However, with Johnny Depp, this could be interesting. Thanks for the head's up.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   03-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Maggers Wrote:Jim,
I can understand your confusion. The film is written and directed by Jim Jarmusch, who really enjoys confounding his audience. It has an interesting supporting cast - Crispin Glover, John Hurt, Robert Mitchum (wow!), Gabriel Byrne and Lance Henriksen. I like Jarmusch's "Coffee and Cigarettes" movies, but I'm not sure about some of his others. But as others have already written, I wind up watching them nevertheless.

However, with Johnny Depp, this could be interesting. Thanks for the head's up.
Not to mention Billy-Bob Thornton, Iggy Pop, Alfred Molina, and apparently Steve Buscemi (didn't notice him). I personally dislike Crispin Glover quite a bit, but most of these characters scarecly appear in the movie. It is mostly Depp, Gary Farmer, and Henrickson. I don't know if confusing is the correct word. Basically it doesn't tie things up into a nice package for the ending like most movies. It just concludes in the only way it really can. But that is what I liked about it. More realistic that way.

Side note: There is a character in the movie named Benmont Tench. This happens to be the name of one of the members of the Heartbreakers (Tom Petty and - ). Does anyone know if Jarmusch is a Petty fan or is this coincidental?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
Scott Miller   03-14-2005, 02:42 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Side note: There is a character in the movie named Benmont Tench. This happens to be the name of one of the members of the Heartbreakers (Tom Petty and - ). Does anyone know if Jarmusch is a Petty fan or is this coincidental?

The great Benmont Tench, keyboardist extraordinaire. I could be wrong, but I thought that the Heartbreakers had something to do with the soundtrack.

Scott

jimbow8   03-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:The great Benmont Tench, keyboardist extraordinaire. I could be wrong, but I thought that the Heartbreakers had something to do with the soundtrack.
The soundtrack was done by Neil Young, I don't know if any of the HBs had supporting performances. I have not found any indication of such.

Scott Miller   03-14-2005, 02:49 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:The soundtrack was done by Neil Young, I don't know if any of the HBs had supporting performances. I have not found any indication of such.

Me neither and I'm working from a completely unreliable source, my memory. Probably just a fan and who could blame him.

Scott