Pages (2): 1 2   
fpw   03-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Very cool. I love surfing documentaries. This one is the history of surfing with special emphasis on the big wave riders.

These guys are crazy. Standing on a little board and flying down the face of a 60-foot wave at 35 mph is not my idea of fun. But it is fun to watch these adrenaline junkies do seemingly impossible feats.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Maggers   03-13-2005, 01:37 PM
As much as I love to swim, I have too great a respect for the force of water and too realistic a vision of my own paltry power in relation to it to ever attempt surfing big waves. But I'm with you, Paul, I love watching surfer documentaries. I can live vicariously through them. "Riding Giants" is already on my Netflix cue; I think I'll move it up. Thanks for the head's up.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Jay #1   03-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes, I like to watch them too. But after reading a book once, I discovered another reason not to take part personally. There are so many health problems resulting from too many years of surfing. Including the fact that the decibel range of waves is alot higher than is healthy for a human.

fpw Wrote:Very cool. I love surfing documentaries. This one is the history of surfing with special emphasis on the big wave riders.

These guys are crazy. Standing on a little board and flying down the face of a 60-foot wave at 35 mph is not my idea of fun. But it is fun to watch these adrenaline junkies do seemingly impossible feats.
Sam   03-13-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm not so much worried about the water as what is in the water...sharks. You can run away from land animals and climb trees and fight back, but in the water... Those guys have more guts than I ever will. Rolleyes

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Sam Wrote:I'm not so much worried about the water as what is in the water...sharks. You can run away from land animals and climb trees and fight back, but in the water... Those guys have more guts than I ever will. Rolleyes

Anybody remember a great surfing movie from--'64, was it? ENDLESS SUMMER?
Scott Miller   03-14-2005, 04:32 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Anybody remember a great surfing movie from--'64, was it? ENDLESS SUMMER?

I love Endless Summer, but I like Endless Summer II even better. What is about surfing (maybe it's the fact that I know I'll never be able to do it) that is so attractive to outsiders? Could it be those awesome surf tunes?

Laird Hamilton, the main guy from Riding the Giants, has got to be certifiable.

Step Into Liquid is a cool documentary about the mentality of surfing-great soundtrack as well.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Kenji   03-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Surfing movie........A long time ago, I saw "Big Wednesday". Anybody remember this movie? Jan-Michael Vincent, William Katt, Gary Busey. They try big wave. That was exciting. Oh, nan! I wanna see it again! Smile
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:I love Endless Summer, but I like Endless Summer II even better. What is about surfing (maybe it's the fact that I know I'll never be able to do it) that is so attractive to outsiders? Could it be those awesome surf tunes?

Laird Hamilton, the main guy from Riding the Giants, has got to be certifiable.

Step Into Liquid is a cool documentary about the mentality of surfing-great soundtrack as well.

Well, Scott, two reasons occur to me right off--men challenging awesome Nature...and early Beach Boys music!
Maggers   03-21-2005, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the head's up on this one, Paul. Terrific movie, thrilling to watch. I'm in awe of these men who take on the ocean at its wildest. I'm also amazed by the photographers who follow them into the sea and capture those unbelieveable moments. What a wild ride!

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   07-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Another great surfing movie is "Stepping Into Liquid." It's not just about riding giant waves, though Laird Hamilton does ride several on his unique surf board, which has something like a rudder attached that allows him to ride above the water, awfully cool.

SIL shows surfers in Texas, Ireland, Vietnam, the Great Lakes, Tahiti, Chile and smack in the middle of the ocean, where some of the biggest waves curl and hit....nothing.

It's a fun flick. If you like surfing movies, check it out.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (2): 1 2