fpw   04-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Just got mine: Every Universal Frankenstein, Wolfman, and Dracula (including the Spanish language Dracula that was shot at night on the same sets used by the Lugosi vresion during the day) along with busts of all three. Can't wait to see these again.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Scott Miller   04-29-2004, 01:16 PM
fpw Wrote:Just got mine: Every Universal Frankenstein, Wolfman, and Dracula (including the Spanish language Dracula that was shot at night on the same sets used by the Lugosi vresion during the day) along with busts of all three. Can't wait to see these again.

The Spanish version is interesting; it was part of the recent rerelease with the Kronos Quartet soundtrack.

Glad to see you're alright, I was a bit concerned when I read your reply to my who is Duane question. Unfortunately, that question is all too common these days.

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Dave   11-10-2005, 02:38 PM
fpw Wrote:Just got mine: Every Universal Frankenstein, Wolfman, and Dracula (including the Spanish language Dracula that was shot at night on the same sets used by the Lugosi vresion during the day) along with busts of all three. Can't wait to see these again.
Grabbing a thread from the past.

I bought the Dracula/House of Dracula set a couple of months ago and watched Lugosi's Dracula for the first time last night (I know, it's criminal I took so long).

And I wasn't impressed. Sorry. Different era and all that, but I found Renfield to be the highlight of the film, he was truly creepy in places (when he approached the unconscious maid was a highlight).

The small documentary on the disc gave some good background to the film, the theatre roots explained alot of what I didn't like, and the Spanish clips looked far superior, I'd love to see it but that version isn't in my set.

How does House of Dracula compare?

Dave
jimbow8   11-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Dave Wrote:Grabbing a thread from the past.

I bought the Dracula/House of Dracula set a couple of months ago and watched Lugosi's Dracula for the first time last night (I know, it's criminal I took so long).

And I wasn't impressed. Sorry. Different era and all that, but I found Renfield to be the highlight of the film, he was truly creepy in places (when he approached the unconscious maid was a highlight).

The small documentary on the disc gave some good background to the film, the theatre roots explained alot of what I didn't like, and the Spanish clips looked far superior, I'd love to see it but that version isn't in my set.

How does House of Dracula compare?

Dave
I liked the butler guy, Martin?!?! I'm not a huge fan of this movie either, though it does have its moments. It is almost totally unrelated to the plot of the book.

I bought the super-duper edition of Van Helsing (sue me!) which has the legacy editions of The Wolf Man, Frankenstein, and Dracula - I like them in that order. I had never seen The Wolf Man before I bought this set. I highly recommend it.

I'd like to eventually get all the Legacy Collections .... someday when I'm rich.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
t4terrific   11-10-2005, 05:24 PM

I didn't get the gift set, but I bought the Collections one at a time a year ago or so. My favorite set was the Frankenstein Collection. The Dracula Collection was good too. I liked the Spanish version. It seemed to be slightly more detailed (even though they used the same script), filling in a few gaps that were left in the Lugosi version.