Pages (2):    1 2
Maggers   01-31-2005, 03:46 PM
The Monroe that I know of in NY is upstate, just west of Bear Mountain, near Sugar Loaf.

The RJ Monroe is fictional, I do believe, but located on LI, in Nassau County, where you can take the Glen Cove exit off the LIE (Long Island Expressway) and head north to the Sound. Wander a few back roads and you'll find Monroe (if you dare!).

The areas around Monroe, and in Shoreham and the Hamptons that FPW has referenced in various RJ novels are real. They do exist. For instance, he mentioned Randall Road as the place where Melanie purchases land to dig for the items left behind by Tesla after his experiments. Randall Road exists; I learned to drive on Randall Road.

The Pine Barrens in New Jersey most definitely exist. The best episode of the Sopranos takes place there, too!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   01-31-2005, 05:23 PM
John Carter Wrote:Hello,
I am a Repairman Jack fan. A few years ago I met my favorite rapper in the world. We became good friends and later I found out he was a book worm who can read about two pages a second. I'm not hyping this up either, I've seen him read a hundred page book in less than a minute and remember almost every detail He took a job at Borders Book Seller so he could read more books for free.
One day last year he told me about this book the Sims. I told my wife and for my birthday last year she went out to look for it. She couldn't find it locally, so she ordered it. To have something wrapped up on my B-Day, she purchased the Keep and Hosts. I read Hosts first and became hooked. I'm not an exceptionally fast reader, but I had surgery three days after my birthday and was bedridden for two weeks. I read all the Repairman Jack novels up in to that point within a week. Gateways came out shortly after I finished ALL THE RAGE. I had crackhead withdrawl until Crisscross came out.

I live in California and I am also a musician. However, my record lable is based out of Monroe New York. I went on tour in August of 2004 and stayed a couple of nights in Monroe, and I was wondering if this was the Monroe that is mentioned in all the RJ novels. I had always assumed Monroe was in New Jersey.

Could someone please tell me if this is the Monroe in the Repairman Jack Books.

Thanks
John Carter

Welcome to the board, John. Enjoy your reading. Smile
fpw   01-31-2005, 11:31 PM
The Incorporated Village of Monroe on Long Island's Gold Coast is my invention.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Ken Valentine   02-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Lisa Wrote:Welcome to the board, John. How's Mars?

Lisa

Leave it to Lisa to beat me to it. I was going to ask if this was Captain John Carter of Virginia . . . or possibly someone related to him.

Maybe his mother's name is Deja Thoris. Big Grin

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   02-01-2005, 01:28 AM
Maggers Wrote:Hi John,
Welcome to the Board! It's a wild and crazy place and lots of fun!

Where in the state of New York is your Monroe? The fictional RJ Monroe is in Nassau County, on the north shore of Long Island, not far from Glen Cove.

Have fun!

Maggers

PS I just edited this post to emphasize that the RJ town is fictional, but supposedly located as I stated.

Right ye are Maggers. FPW's Monroe is on Long Island.

I looked up the real Monroe on mapquest.com, and its about 40 miles north of New York City. West North-West I'd estimate.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   02-01-2005, 01:33 AM
The answers lie below. I just wanted to add, welcome to the board.

Ken V.
John Carter   02-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and the answer. I've been reading the board for some time, but I never had a question someone hadn't already answered.
I'm going back to Monroe in April and it reminded me to ask. Monroe's zip code is 10950 if anyone wants to look it up.
The place I stayed was full of $.5 million track houses. The large identical houses were kind of erie and I thought that might be the place. Now I know it wasn't. Thankyou.

I'm not sure how Mars is, but I bet you can get more info at http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home

The last time I was in Chicago it was windy and cold

From the rest of your responses, I assume John Carter is a character in a book.

I actually got the name from Ron Carter the bass player. I just liked the sound of it.
Scott Miller   02-03-2005, 03:30 PM
John Carter Wrote:From the rest of your responses, I assume John Carter is a character in a book.

You assume correctly. He is the hero of the John Carter of Mars (ergo the Mars question) series by the great Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Pages (2):    1 2