Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
The Mad American   09-28-2006, 11:41 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I'm finishing up Season 2 tonight. Then I plan on watching the webisodes on http://www.scifi.com

And the new season starts Oct. 6th. Can't wait. For my money this is the best written show on television, and the acting is pretty dang good too.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

jimbow8   09-28-2006, 12:00 PM
The Mad American Wrote:And the new season starts Oct. 6th. Can't wait. For my money this is the best written show on television, and the acting is pretty dang good too.
I have to admit that some of the "shortcuts" that the writers took kind a bothered me near the end of Season 2, but overall, I heartily agree with you.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Dave   09-29-2006, 06:56 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I have to admit that some of the "shortcuts" that the writers took kind a bothered me near the end of Season 2, but overall, I heartily agree with you.
I thought that was a very bold move that allowed a wealth of new possibilities in the new season.

The story of what happened in that time period will be told, just not in the linear fashion people expect. Ballsy, and a thumbs up from me.

Dave
jimbow8   09-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Dave Wrote:I thought that was a very bold move that allowed a wealth of new possibilities in the new season.

The story of what happened in that time period will be told, just not in the linear fashion people expect. Ballsy, and a thumbs up from me.

Dave
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I was purposely vague in order to not spoil anything, but I was specifically referring to the plotline involving Billy, Dee, and Lee. It seemed (to me) like the writers wished they had taken it in a different direction, so they just changed it; it seemed forced by the script, rather than natural.

There was another thing which escapes me right now. Similar to the above, it isn't a major plotline (at this point), so it's relatively inconsequential.

I am guessing that you may be referring to the jump forward in time? That didn't bother me much for pretty much the reasons that you state. It glossed over a lot of "nothing happening" and allowed the plot to pick back up.

And as you point out, they have a habit of showing flashbacks a LOT, maybe a little too much, but ..... meh.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
Marc   09-29-2006, 10:29 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I was purposely vague in order to not spoil anything, but I was specifically referring to the plotline involving Billy, Dee, and Lee.

What plotline are you talking about?
jimbow8   09-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Marc B. Wrote:What plotline are you talking about?
***SPOILER***

They spent a good amount of time developing a relationship between Billy and Dee. Then it seemed like the writers wanted her to have a relationship with Lee, so they forced it. They showed a couple things, then killed Billy (a character whom I happened to like). It just seemed forced to me. Maybe Billy needed to be written off the show (contract, etc). I don't know. I just thought it stuck out in an otherwise well-written show. But that's just me.

Again, it's a relatively minor thing, and won't affect my overall appreciation of the show.

Marc   09-29-2006, 11:03 AM
I guess where I'm getting confused is I don't remember a character named Dee. Lee, yes, but no Dee.
jimbow8   09-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Marc B. Wrote:I guess where I'm getting confused is I don't remember a character named Dee. Lee, yes, but no Dee.

Apparently, her character's full name is Anastasia Dualla, but she is referred to as Dee (or 'D'). She works on the "bridge" in communications, I believe.

Kandyse McClure

PETTY OFFICER DUALLA
This post was last modified: 09-29-2006, 11:21 AM by jimbow8.

Mike Hanson   09-29-2006, 11:25 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:***SPOILER*** They spent a good amount of time developing a relationship between Billy and Dee. Then it seemed like the writers wanted her to have a relationship with Lee, so they forced it. They showed a couple things, then killed Billy (a character whom I happened to like). It just seemed forced to me. Maybe Billy needed to be written off the show (contract, etc). I don't know. I just thought it stuck out in an otherwise well-written show. But that's just me. Again, it's a relatively minor thing, and won't affect my overall appreciation of the show.

BSG Producer and Head Writer Ron Moore has stated publicly that the actor who played Billy wanted out of his contract, because 1) he was getting very little screen time, and 2) he was getting movie offers. It apparently was a mutually agreed-upon situation.

Mike out :p
jimbow8   09-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Mike Hanson Wrote:BSG Producer and Head Writer Ron Moore has stated publicly that the actor who played Billy wanted out of his contract, because 1) he was getting very little screen time, and 2) he was getting movie offers. It apparently was a mutually agreed-upon situation.

Mike out :p

Thanks, Mike. I kinda figured. Sucks because I liked the character; I thought he was one of those characters that the viewer could associate with to draw them into the show. I understand why it was done, but I still don't like the way it was written. Oh well. No biggie.

Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6