Scott Miller   01-24-2005, 12:44 PM
I enjoyed three movies that are safe for the entire family this past weekend: Big Fat Liar, Sky Captain and the Planet of Tomorrow and Danny Deckchair. I know BFL has been out for awhile but I had never seen it; it is like a Repairman Jack for the teenage crowd-very satisfying conclusion. I did not like SCATPOT as much as I thought I would, but the visuals and and action sequences make up for what I thought was mediocre acting (except for Jolie, who was excellent). Finally, there is DD, a truly zany romantic comedy with winning performances from Rhys Ifans and Miranda Otto. It kept a grin plastered to face throughout the whole movie. DD is not really geared for kids, but both my kids were glued to it. The 'launch' scene is worth the rent alone.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
jimbow8   01-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I enjoyed three movies that are safe for the entire family this past weekend: Big Fat Liar, Sky Captain and the Planet of Tomorrow and Danny Deckchair. I know BFL has been out for awhile but I had never seen it; it is like a Repairman Jack for the teenage crowd-very satisfying conclusion. I did not like SCATPOT as much as I thought I would, but the visuals and and action sequences make up for what I thought was mediocre acting (except for Jolie, who was excellent). Finally, there is DD, a truly zany romantic comedy with winning performances from Rhys Ifans and Miranda Otto. It kept a grin plastered to face throughout the whole movie. DD is not really geared for kids, but both my kids were glued to it. The 'launch' scene is worth the rent alone.
Is Danny Deckchair pretty good? I was fascinated by the actual true story, but the movie seemed too slapstick. I might give it a try though.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Miller   01-24-2005, 01:22 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Is Danny Deckchair pretty good? I was fascinated by the actual true story, but the movie seemed too slapstick. I might give it a try though.

I thought it was superb; it is not slapstick at all and I recommend it highly.

Scott

Flinx   01-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:I thought it was superb; it is not slapstick at all and I recommend it highly.
Completely agree, a fun movie.
bkwormonthenet   01-27-2005, 02:48 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:I enjoyed three movies that are safe for the entire family this past weekend: Big Fat Liar, Sky Captain and the Planet of Tomorrow and Danny Deckchair. I know BFL has been out for awhile but I had never seen it; it is like a Repairman Jack for the teenage crowd-very satisfying conclusion. I did not like SCATPOT as much as I thought I would, but the visuals and and action sequences make up for what I thought was mediocre acting (except for Jolie, who was excellent). Finally, there is DD, a truly zany romantic comedy with winning performances from Rhys Ifans and Miranda Otto. It kept a grin plastered to face throughout the whole movie. DD is not really geared for kids, but both my kids were glued to it. The 'launch' scene is worth the rent alone.

Scott --

I finally caught ELLA ENCHANTED on DVD tonight. A great family film. Lots and lots of laughs. If you like fantasy and have any hint of a romantic bone in you at all, you might enjoy this film that plays with the age-old Cinderella story. And, for me, for pure fun, nothing's better than ending with a rousing rendition of an Elton John song ("Don't Go Breaking My Heart"). (Hope that's not a spoiler.) I really loved this one.

Sean
Flinx   01-27-2005, 06:46 AM
bkwormonthenet Wrote:Scott --

I finally caught ELLA ENCHANTED on DVD tonight. A great family film. Lots and lots of laughs. If you like fantasy and have any hint of a romantic bone in you at all, you might enjoy this film that plays with the age-old Cinderella story. And, for me, for pure fun, nothing's better than ending with a rousing rendition of an Elton John song ("Don't Go Breaking My Heart"). (Hope that's not a spoiler.) I really loved this one.

Sean
Another movie I'm still waiting to be shown here in Australia.
Maybe I should just start buying the US DVDs.
Scott Miller   01-27-2005, 04:50 PM
bkwormonthenet Wrote:Scott --

Sean

I enjoyed EE as well. My wife is a fan of the book so when it came out there was no doubt that we would watch it.

Scott

Matthew Smith   01-27-2005, 09:31 PM
I know this is going to ruin my reputation as a manly man -- like anyone believes that-- but I really enjoyed ELLA ENCHANTED as well. I thought it did a great job of sneaking more adult jokes in with a kid-friendly storyline. I've also really been enjoying the Harry Potter movies. I though the third one was very well done.

--Matthew