Susan   01-16-2005, 02:53 PM
The previews looked good, so I dragged my poor husband to see this movie yesterday. What a huge mistake. The funniest scenes were in the previews. So two minutes of funny lines in a movie that lasts an hour and 50 minutes, just doesn't cut it.

The movie is boring and pointless. The performances have no heart. It was so bad, I almost left, but my husband had hope it would get better. Unfortunately, he was wrong.

Save yourself the money and skip this dud.

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
matthewsmommy   01-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Susan Wrote:The previews looked good, so I dragged my poor husband to see this movie yesterday. What a huge mistake. The funniest scenes were in the previews. So two minutes of funny lines in a movie that lasts an hour and 50 minutes, just doesn't cut it.

The movie is boring and pointless. The performances have no heart. It was so bad, I almost left, but my husband had hope it would get better. Unfortunately, he was wrong.

Save yourself the money and skip this dud.

Susan
Is this the one with Will Smith? No, that one's Hitch, right? I know I've seen the preview for this one and it looked great, but which one is it?
Maggers   01-16-2005, 03:01 PM
matthewsmommy Wrote:Is this the one with Will Smith? No, that one's Hitch, right? I know I've seen the preview for this one and it looked great, but which one is it?

Dennis Quaid, Topher Grace and Scarlett Johansson. Topher Grace is Dennis Quaid's new boss, and Scarlett is Quaid's daughter.

Too bad about this one. I like all 3 of the leads, but I'll take Susanita's word on it. I'll wait for video.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

matthewsmommy   01-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Maggers Wrote:Dennis Quaid, Topher Grace and Scarlett Johansson. Topher Grace is Dennis Quaid's new boss, and Scarlett is Quaid's daughter.

Too bad about this one. I like all 3 of the leads, but I'll take Susanita's word on it. I'll wait for video.
Got it! The previews make it look like a good one. I almost always wait for video anyway if it's not a movie for kids. I really think Spanglish looks good, too. It's hard to imagine Adam Sandler in a serious role.
jimbow8   01-16-2005, 03:19 PM
matthewsmommy Wrote:It's hard to imagine Adam Sandler in a serious role.
Refers Trish to Punch-Drunk Love - a movie hated my many, loved by some. I happen to like it.

I want to see Spanglish. Has anyone seen it yet?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Marc   01-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Susan Wrote:Save yourself the money and skip this dud.

Interesting considering it's getting rave reviews from what I can tell. Rotton Tomatos (link here) is giving it 83%.

Are you sure you didn't mistakeningly see Elektra ( which getslink here) which is getting a 7% rating? Big Grin

Interesting thing about Elektra... with 7% it's doing worse than Catwoman which got 9%.
jimbow8   01-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Marc B. Wrote:Interesting considering it's getting rave reviews from what I can tell. Rotton Tomatos (link here) is giving it 83%.

Are you sure you didn't mistakeningly see Elektra ( which getslink here) which is getting a 7% rating? Big Grin

Interesting thing about Elektra... with 7% it's doing worse than Catwoman which got 9%.
I saw Elektra yesterday. It was OK, though I wasn't expecting much.... except for Jennifer Garner in red, which I got, though not as much as I would have liked.
This post was last modified: 01-16-2005, 08:20 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
matthewsmommy   01-17-2005, 12:06 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Refers Trish to Punch-Drunk Love - a movie hated my many, loved by some. I happen to like it.

I want to see Spanglish. Has anyone seen it yet?
I haven't seen Punch-Drunk Love. I liked 50 first dates, though.
thisisatest   01-17-2005, 12:19 AM
I want to see Spanglish. Has anyone seen it yet?[/QUOTE]

Steve D
I saw it last week. It wasn't on my list of movies to see, but I get a free movie every Tuesday, and that was the only flick available that day due to a schedule problem. To the point: I liked it, but not enough to recommend it (remember, it was free for me). Great performances, but a weak script. It is no Punch Drunk Love. Wait for the rental so you can fast-forward Tea Leoni's scenes (you'll understand what I mean when you watch it).
Susan   01-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Marc B. Wrote:Interesting considering it's getting rave reviews from what I can tell. Rotton Tomatos (link here) is giving it 83%.

I'm sure. But I would like to see Elektra. I have a feeling it's a good bad movie.

I went to see In Good Company because CNN gave it a rave review, but I can't understand why. It just dragged and dragged...

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche