Pages (10): 1 2 3 4 5 10   
Gerald Rice   01-12-2005, 05:23 PM
On a previous thread, someone threw out that Sister Act 2 was a bad sequel. That got me to thinking- what funny people does everyone not find funny? I'm pretty sure Jim Carey is going to get a lot of votes, but let's dig deeper, get to the core of the issue (I happen to like Jim myself). Here's my meager list:

Whoopie Goldberg- she's weaved a magic spell over America and to paraphrase Sam Kinison, "It's like everybody in America agreed not to hurt her feelings."

Fred Willard- he's the comedic equivalent to naked pictures of my grandmother, POST mordem.

Lisa Kudrow- I'm not that familiar with her career outside of Friends, but I thought Phoebe was just annoying.

Pauly Shore- C'mon, that was easy, buuuddy.

Eddie Murphy- Sadly, he's not for adults anymore...

Yakov Smirnoff- Whoa. Where'd that name come from?

Bob Hope- Sorry, I can't remember laughing. Ever (maybe it's a generational thing).
jimbow8   01-12-2005, 05:32 PM
I will definitely agree with Whoopi Goldberg and also add

Ellen Degeneres

Robin Williams - I think the last time I found him funny was on Mork & Mindy

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Maggers   01-12-2005, 05:44 PM
I disagree on some:

I find Ellen Degeneres hysterical.

I like Robin Williams, too, though he is beginning to pale. Nevertheless, his HBO special made me laugh ... a lot.

I also like Lisa Kudrow; I think she is a talented actress as well.

Bob Hope's stand up sucked big time, but he was absolutely wonderful in his movies. His road films with Bing Crosby were lots of fun.

Fred Willard, when used properly as in Christopher Guest's hysterical movies, is funny. I thought he was great in "Best in Show."

Stinkers:
Whoopie Goldberg
Paulie Schore
Adam Sandler
David Spade
Chris Farley
Most of the assorted SNL casts during the '80's

More stinkers to follow.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   01-12-2005, 05:50 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I will definitely agree with Whoopi Goldberg and also add

Ellen Degeneres

Robin Williams - I think the last time I found him funny was on Mork & Mindy

I agree with the both of you except for Williams (in movies moreso than his stand-up), Degeneres and Willard-I think all 3 are quite funny.

Eddie Murphy I find occasionally funny, who knew that Charlie Murphy is the real comedian in that family?

Adam Sandler is spectacularly unfunny.

South Park is not funny.

SNL is way overrated.

Mike Myers, outside of Wayne's World and So I Married an Axe Murderer, has done nothing for me. I couldn't stand the Austin Powers movies.

That said, I think being funny is by far the most difficult form of entertainment and it doesn't travel from generation to generation very well.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
sublime1983   01-12-2005, 06:36 PM
I disagree with a lot of what you guys thought weren't funny. But what I think isn't funny:

farting: any comedian, or person, that uses farting as a way to get a laugh should be booted.

same goes with belching.

I didn't know Ellen Degenerous was supposed to be funny. I just thought that she was a televised lesbo.

Don't like Robbin Williams.

Half of what Dave Chepelle has done sucked, the other half was hysterically great.

Whoopie blows.

The radio dude...ummmmmm...Howard Stein (I think)...he sucks.

The new Man's Show hosts...they suck.

If I took my time to search the net and remember who I thought sucked, I could name a lot more. But I forgot their names for a reason.

There was once a man who was all obsessed with the strangest things. Like Nestle Quik, original cdr's and Afro-sheen. He built himself his dome, never left his home, decided life is much better when you're on your own. You might not want my opinion, but he coulda been on to something good.

Josh
Maggers   01-12-2005, 07:11 PM
sublime1983 Wrote:I didn't know Ellen Degenerous was supposed to be funny. I just thought that she was a televised lesbo.

I take umbrage with your statement about Ellen Degeneres. She is a whole lot more than "a televised lesbo." That's an unkind and ungenerous appellation, in other words, that's name-calling at it's nastiest.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

the Oracle   01-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Maggers Wrote:I take umbrage with your statement about Ellen Degeneres. She is a whole lot more than "a televised lesbo." That's an unkind and ungenerous appellation, in other words, that's name-calling at it's nastiest.
Who said we can't name call ding-dong?

(;

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

"Adventure is worthwile in itself."
—Amelia Earhart
Scott Hajek   01-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Maggers Wrote:I take umbrage with your statement about Ellen Degeneres. She is a whole lot more than "a televised lesbo." That's an unkind and ungenerous appellation, in other words, that's name-calling at it's nastiest.

She is "televised" and is a "lesbian." So, to be absolutely correct, she is a "televised lesbian." I used to dislike her a great deal, but after watching her sitcom (before she came out) I thought she was quite funny and a much better actor than Jerry Seinfeld. Once the show became about her being gay, it wasn't that funny. You just have to take her with a grain of salt.

But, Jerry Seinfeld.... he isn't that funny. His show was only successful because of the rest of the cast.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Scott Hajek   01-12-2005, 07:42 PM
sublime1983 Wrote:I disagree with a lot of what you guys thought weren't funny. But what I think isn't funny:

farting: any comedian, or person, that uses farting as a way to get a laugh should be booted.

same goes with belching.

Come on... farting not funny? Belching not funny? Bodily functions in general are hilarious!

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Maggers   01-12-2005, 07:43 PM
It's the "lesbo" term that I find offensive. I hear it as a slur, and I don't like it.

I didn't watch much of her TV show. I do watch her current talk show and she's very funny. So were her HBO specials.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (10): 1 2 3 4 5 10