Pages (2):    1 2
Mr_Falcon   01-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Ken-
My point with this analogy is exactly what you said. They love that adrenaline rush, and so do not want to give it up. I am not sure if the analogy breaks down with race car drivers or not, as I know next to nothing about that sport. I do have this opinion about it, however: I have always felt that they should make it more realistic to appeal to a broader base of fans.
For example, in addition to the race cars, put some non-playing cars on the track. Get someone in a giantic oversized SUV on the track. Make sure they are on their cell-phone so that they are weaving around the track. They can also come up behind the drivers, tailgate them, and turn on their super-high beams. That'd make the sport more realistic in a day-to-day sense, and a lot more fun. Big Grin Big Grin
Mr_Falcon   01-11-2005, 06:15 PM
I had been thinking about this, and it brought up kind of a funny thought. I tmay be a bit of an inside joke, but I'll give it a try. In my high school AP English class, our teacher had us tear apart all of the novels we read, as of course English teachers do. This particular teacher loved to have us look for the "Christ-like" character in all of the books we read. If you read things like Billy Budd, Lord of the Flies, Scarlet Letter, etc etc you can find the Christ-like character. Well, I was thinking that she may see at least one Christ-like trait in this dual aspect of Jack. If you remember, Jesus has an extreme temper reaction and tore apart the temple where I believe gambling and other things like that were going on. Not dissimilar to Jack's moralistic violent reactions.
Maggers   01-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Mr_Falcon Wrote:I had been thinking about this, and it brought up kind of a funny thought. I tmay be a bit of an inside joke, but I'll give it a try. In my high school AP English class, our teacher had us tear apart all of the novels we read, as of course English teachers do. This particular teacher loved to have us look for the "Christ-like" character in all of the books we read. If you read things like Billy Budd, Lord of the Flies, Scarlet Letter, etc etc you can find the Christ-like character. Well, I was thinking that she may see at least one Christ-like trait in this dual aspect of Jack. If you remember, Jesus has an extreme temper reaction and tore apart the temple where I believe gambling and other things like that were going on. Not dissimilar to Jack's moralistic violent reactions.

Yes, and once the ruling authorities figured out who Jesus was, i.e., the Son of God, they crucified him. As woulld the ruling authorities crucify Jack if they found out who he was (or wasn't! depending on the phony ID he has with him at the time). Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Mr_Falcon   01-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Maggers-
That is really really funny, and it had not occured to me. Like Jack always fears, it likely would be the IRS doing the crucifing. In fact, that could be their neew motto:
IRS: We're the Pontius Pilate of the 21st century. Wink
the Oracle   01-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Mr. Falcon (et. al.),

I am an adrenaline junkie. Most consider me an extreme adrenaline junky. I used to (about 4 weeks ago) ride the fastest production motorcycle in the world (its namesake is the same as yours) in highway traffic at ~185 MPH for kicks. It is hard to explain my passion for living on the edge, but believe me when I say, "it is there, and it is real!"

I guess the point I am trying to make is, I too am having a baby and have decided to give-up on my more dangerous passions. As a matter-of-fact, almost all of my adrenaline related hobbies/sports are going away in trade for a baby girl!

I feel a kindred spirit with Jack (perhaps this is why I find him so fascinating) and think that he will be able to COo.oOL his jets (as I am) when the time comes. Now grant-it I do not kill people for my adrenaline rush, however, I feel that my rush is up there as far as addiction is concerned.

I think that something as important as Gia and his unborn baby (not to mention Vickers) is easily enough power to draw him away from his "dark" side.

Maybe I don't even know what this topic is about and am spouting about a bunch of nothing... If so, kindly disregard. But, in the event that I have hit on something...

-Rip

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

"Adventure is worthwile in itself."
—Amelia Earhart
Mr_Falcon   01-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Rip-
those are actually some pretty great thoughts, so thanks. Having a baby really does change one's perspective. Earlier in the thread I postulated that the Allay could have induced a chemical change in Jack's brain to cause him to be an adrenaline junkie (for lack of a better term). There are some people out there, and I am one of them, who believe that having a baby induces a chemical change in the brain as well. We already know that love is caused by a chemical change, why not parenthood? Mind you- this is not proven yet, but it is possible. I can certainly believe that that chemical change can win out over the adrenaline junkie mentality.
I guess it is for this reason that I believe that Gia cannot be allowed to carry the baby to full term. She has to lose it, because is she doesn't, Jack won't be Jack. Sure, this is cheating a bit, because we know there is no baby in Nightworld.
Of course, Dr Wilson can do whatever he chooses- it is his world after all- but this is how I see things as they stand right now.
Dave   01-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Mr_Falcon Wrote:Rip-
those are actually some pretty great thoughts, so thanks. Having a baby really does change one's perspective. Earlier in the thread I postulated that the Allay could have induced a chemical change in Jack's brain to cause him to be an adrenaline junkie (for lack of a better term). There are some people out there, and I am one of them, who believe that having a baby induces a chemical change in the brain as well. We already know that love is caused by a chemical change, why not parenthood? Mind you- this is not proven yet, but it is possible. I can certainly believe that that chemical change can win out over the adrenaline junkie mentality.
I guess it is for this reason that I believe that Gia cannot be allowed to carry the baby to full term. She has to lose it, because is she doesn't, Jack won't be Jack. Sure, this is cheating a bit, because we know there is no baby in Nightworld.
Of course, Dr Wilson can do whatever he chooses- it is his world after all- but this is how I see things as they stand right now.

A curious conversation and line of thought, however, I can't recall reading Jack promising Gia that he will give up his 'profession'. I recall a conversation about him becoming a part of society again, ingratiating himself into the real world so that he can be a parent.

And I don't see Jack doing it for 'the rush'. He does it because he's good at it, and has found a niche. If he had his way each job would be nice and neat, simple and easy.

He may be more choosy with his jobs, but as was seen with Crisscross, one of his jobs was a simple missing person case. Didn't stop it becoming dangerous, but what Gia doesn't know won't hurt her Wink

Which opens up a whole new can of moral worms...

Dave
thisisatest   01-14-2005, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=Mr_Falcon]Maggers
I guess one of my traits is to try and 'figure' people out. My high school English teachers taught me how to do it with fictional characters as well as real people. That is my particular character trait. Wink

Steve D
My galfriend, an English major in grad school, does this all the time, especially at the movies (actually, after the movies). She sees foreshadowing, subplots that don't need to be there, characters with great and poor development, and loads of other English majory things. We have grand ole discussions and I get much more out of the movie when I see it again. As such, let me be one who says, I enjoyed reading your "Duality..." article. As I am reading CRISSCROSS, I am seeing many more layers to Jack's character and gaining more insight. Thanks.
Pages (2):    1 2