RepairmanJack.com Forums
The Duality of Repairman Jack - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Duality of Repairman Jack (/thread-608.html)

Pages: 1 2

The Duality of Repairman Jack - Mr_Falcon - 01-08-2005

I'd love to hear what the Forum members think about this.

One of the fascinating aspects of RJ's personality for me is his duality. RJ is a likable, kind, even gentle soul. Yes, he tends to be very intense in most of he aspects of his life, but this is not a negative character trait in him. In short, RJ would be a fun guy to have a beer with and maybe watching some old sci-fi movies with. However, there is the other aspect of RJ: when he gets mad, he changes. He becomes a violent, angry individual that, on some level, even scares himself. Certainly, Gia has troubles with this aspect. It is this change he undergoes that fascinates me.
Initially, he comes across as a Schizoid Personality Disorder, but he isn't: He has few close friends, but he does have them. He also has a wider range of good acquaintances as well. Another easy 25-cent diagnosis would be that he has an illness called Intermittent Explosive Disorder, meaning that someone can lose control because of anger. However, this is clearly not the case with RJ. He does not lose control when he becomes angry: quite the opposite. There is no other time that he is so focused. While this rules out a medical condition for this duality, it reminds me of certain individuals I have seen and met. Most of us have specific things happen to us when we get scared. Adrenaline (called epinephrine) flows through our bloodstream causing rapid heartbeat, shaking voice, tremors. Just do a little public speaking, and you'll know what I mean. There are the very rare individuals who don't get these physical symptoms, and in fact react in the opposite way becoming more focused. The extreme calm of Roger Staubach in the last two minutes of the game when everything is on the line is an example. These people use their adrenaline almost as a performance enhancing drug.
What lies in his future? RJ is trying to quit the business for Gia. Yet, many of these people who have these reaction are called adrenaline junkies. While they are not addicts in the true sense of the word, most people find it very hard to give up the rush. How many of those athletes, for example, give up their careers in their prime? Not many. As a result, I think that because of this adrenaline caused duality in RJ's personality, he is going to have a very very tough time carrying out the life style change that he needs for his relationship.

The Duality of Repairman Jack - Lisa - 01-08-2005

Interesting post, Falcon. Well thought-out and some good points there.

Of course, when I have 25 cents I put it in a gumball machine. That's the difference between you and me.

Lisa

The Duality of Repairman Jack - Mr_Falcon - 01-08-2005

Lisa Wrote:Interesting post, Falcon. Well thought-out and some good points there.

Of course, when I have 25 cents I put it in a gumball machine. That's the difference between you and me.

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa. Of course, that is the short version. Believe me, I charge a whole heck of a lot more than twenty five cents an hour!
I think that one of the neat things about my thoughts: since the Ally has chosen RJ to be its hero, did he do something to Jack when he chose him? This would require a very minor and simple ( for the Ally that is) adjustment in his body chemistry to make Jack what he is.
Again, just my own personal theroy but its fun for me to try and work through this.

The Duality of Repairman Jack - Ken Valentine - 01-09-2005

As I see it, individuals are more complex than even they themselves realize. I find nothing unusual about RJ's personality.

Comparing them to RJ, you ask how many athletes give up their careers while in their prime. Perhaps it would be better to ask instead, "Why do they give up their careers ever?" In my experience and observation, the answer is; because it's not fun anymore.

Ken V.

The Duality of Repairman Jack - Maggers - 01-09-2005

Much as I love to people watch and try, in my layperson's fashion, to determine how people got to be who they are, I don't want to see Jack overanalyzed or labeled - takes the fun out of Jack for me and makes him seem somehow ... wrong.

I have a good enough sense of what motivates Jack, namely his mother's sudden, ghastly death. The ripple effects that horrible incident and its aftermath created in Jack's life produced Jack as we know him today.

Jack is Jack, and he's just fine with me. Smile

Maggers Wrote:Much as I love to people watch and try, in my layperson's fashion, to determine how people got to be who they are, I don't want to see Jack overanalyzed or labeled - takes the fun out of Jack for me and makes him seem somehow ... wrong.

I have a good enough sense of what motivates Jack, namely his mother's sudden, ghastly death. The ripple effects that horrible incident and its aftermath created in Jack's life produced Jack as we know him today.

That, and the thrill of seeing bad people get what's coming to them. Beginning with the rat-bags who were destroying the old fellows front yard.
(But there I am . . . analyzing.) Big Grin

Quote:Jack is Jack, and he's just fine with me. Smile

Well said.

Ken V.

The Duality of Repairman Jack - Maggers - 01-09-2005

Ken Valentine Wrote:.... Beginning with the rat-bags who were destroying the old fellow's front yard...

Yes! I'd forgotten about that! So there is a seed of righteousness - bright, shining, extraordinary and almost immortal in its depth and breadth - that lives in Jack and grows with each story.

The Duality of Repairman Jack - Mr_Falcon - 01-09-2005

Maggers
I guess one of my traits is to try and 'figure' people out. My high school English teachers taught me how to do it with fictional characters as well as real people. That is my particular character trait. Wink

Ken
The reason most of these athletes give up their careers is only when they are physically unable to keep up with the younger guys. look at a gamer like Willie Mays stumbling around in the outfield at the end of his career. The only 'gamer' athlete I can think of in any sport who walked away in their prime was Jim Borwn. I do think you become 'addicted' to that rush, and after it is over they always think of their best days as being behind them.

Mr_Falcon Wrote:Ken
The reason most of these athletes give up their careers is only when they are physically unable to keep up with the younger guys. look at a gamer like Willie Mays stumbling around in the outfield at the end of his career. The only 'gamer' athlete I can think of in any sport who walked away in their prime was Jim Borwn. I do think you become 'addicted' to that rush, and after it is over they always think of their best days as being behind them.

It may be a reason for many, but it's not a reason for all. Some -- Willy Mays as you mentioned -- keep going long after their prime because they still love it. Others, and I've known some -- race drivers mostly -- quit because it's not fun any longer, or their interests turn elsewhere. Dan Gurney is a good example.

Ken V.

The Duality of Repairman Jack - Sam - 01-11-2005

Mr_Falcon Wrote:The reason most of these athletes give up their careers is only when they are physically unable to keep up with the younger guys. look at a gamer like Willie Mays stumbling around in the outfield at the end of his career. The only 'gamer' athlete I can think of in any sport who walked away in their prime was Jim Borwn. I do think you become 'addicted' to that rush, and after it is over they always think of their best days as being behind them.

Don't forget Barry Sanders. I don't have a favorite team and he was the only reason for me to watch a game. His retirement was a SAD day for me.