Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 7   
jimbow8   12-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Annice Burdeos Wrote:That's the official jargon for remake! Giving Cruise a family and all that is fine but I like the straightforwardness of the Gene Barry version. It seemed more realistic especially after having heard stories regarding the Welles radio version.

Spielberg generally does a fine turn with science fiction , so I am hopeful. (Even through Minority Report wasn't very good. )

Maybe it's just Cruise who seems to be searching for another "look at what I can do" role. (Collateral fell into this category)

Anyway, since this was fast tracked, it will be interesting to see whether or not this is any good. Its tentatively slated for late next year.
I actually liked Minority Report and Collateral quite a bit.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Mick C.   12-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Yeah, it was in fact Classics Illustrated. Thanks for the memory jog, Paul. I haven't seen it in over 4 decades, but I still recall the panel showing the human quislings in weird body-armor hunting down other humans, with a tripod behind them, overseeing them.

That panel sticks in my mind very clearly, too. I wonder who the artist was on that. I think he also did the Time Machine adaptation as well. I read and re-read those issues until they fell apart.

The "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" Vol 2 series is amazing...especially the scene where Mr. Hyde confronts the tripod. I don;t know if they will adapt this for a sequel. (There is a reference to it in the movie, though - a briefly scene broadsheet on a wall announcing mysterious explosions on the surface of Mars.)

There was also a spin-off WotW comic series ("Killraven", I think) from Marvel in the 1970s.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
jimbow8   12-16-2004, 08:15 PM
http://www.dreamworksfansite.com/warofth...nloads.php

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Mick C.   12-18-2004, 01:16 AM
Here's the issue we mentioned:

[Image: wotw1955.1.jpg]

I read that George Pal wanted to use tripods but they couldn't find a convincing way to animate the movement of a three-legged structure - they are pretty unstable (in a few brief shots, you can see Pal's Martian war saucers with 3 animated force beams underneath them, which was Pal's little nod to the original design.)
This post was last modified: 12-18-2004, 01:20 AM by Mick C..

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Mick C.   12-18-2004, 01:21 AM
Lunar Models even sells a plastic scale model of the Classics Illustrated design: [Image: WotW.jpg]

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Maggers   12-18-2004, 02:28 AM
Mick C. Wrote:Here's the issue we mentioned:

[Image: wotw1955.1.jpg]

Wow! Does that bring back memories! We loved Classics Illustrated Comics. My brothers would take red pens and draw blood everywhere they could - wherever someone was shot, or stabbed or wounded in any way. I loved it!

Hmm....that's probably where my love of horror began....

(*exits stroking chin, deep in thought*)
This post was last modified: 12-18-2004, 11:34 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Mick C.   12-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Classics Illustrated could be very grisly, as they were not under the Comics Code Authority but were considered "nice" comics by most adults. I remember a very gruesome scene in "Frankenstein" when the monster strangles Victor's wife on their wedding night and blood jets out of her mouth. That gave me the willies as a kid.

[Image: 58-09,ClsIll-26-thumb.jpg]

What I remember best about that line was the list of issues they had on the back cover - I used to read these and imagine what the story was about from the title - I thought "The Octopus" was about a giant octopus. I actually wound up reading a fair number of classics in later years because I wanted to find out what the plot was of that comic I never read!

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Dave Wrote:I'll go out on a limb and say yes! But for an RnB purist, maybe not.

Who knows? Who's better, who's best?

Dave

Dave, I'm not a musical purist of any kind--who was it who said, "There's but two kinds of music--good music and bad music." Duke Ellington, maybe? I happily listen to anything except rap (which I loathe) and German oom-pah music. (Though I must admit I find opera a stretch--once scandalized a classical music partner by opining, "These folks can't sing--who sounds like that in real life?--give me Dylan who, as he claimed back in '65, is better than Caruso because he can hold his breath 3 times as long." :p And a lot of 12-tone compositions bore me to the scowling fidgits. Jeez, where's my CD of RUBBER SOUL...? :p "Who's better, who's best," eh, Dave? By God, the drollery never stops on this board... Big Grin
This post was last modified: 12-19-2004, 10:14 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
glaeken2002   12-28-2004, 10:37 PM
What is needed is a thorough and close reproduction of the book ( which has to be one of the best sci fi books of its time) with Jeff Wayne doing the music. I know it sounds corny but musically it has to be the best musical story reproduction of all time.
What do the rest of the forum think?
Personally I found the book very scary, quite strange really when I consider the books I normally read. But it is so well written, you just get lost in the whole thing. It is amazing really!!! I can't believe that a book so old can have that effect on me.

Kenji Wrote:Next summer, Spielberg + Cruise coming again!

But! but but but.....actually, I'm a little nervous about this. H.G. Wells is one of my favorite authors, and I really like "War of the worlds". Original movie is classic now, but it's still good to me. When I saw remake version of Time Machine, I got shock! Opening sequences were terrible.

I hope Spielberg and Cruise version would be successful.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/
Kenji   12-28-2004, 11:59 PM
glaeken2002 Wrote:What is needed is a thorough and close reproduction of the book ( which has to be one of the best sci fi books of its time) with Jeff Wayne doing the music. I know it sounds corny but musically it has to be the best musical story reproduction of all time.
What do the rest of the forum think?
Personally I found the book very scary, quite strange really when I consider the books I normally read. But it is so well written, you just get lost in the whole thing. It is amazing really!!! I can't believe that a book so old can have that effect on me.

Welcome to the board, glaeken2002. Thanks for your response. I want any opinions. Have a enjoy your time in this board.

Leith Stevens's music were good for original movie. It's classical sound. New movie's music is John Williams. I hope his music is better than recent music. Music is one of important factors for movie. I have no good impression about music of Minority Report and AI .

About book, yep, absolutely right. When I read it at first, I was elementary school student. I still remember that excitement....Oh, good old memory. Smile
Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 7