jdb2   08-16-2023, 12:26 PM
I just got back into reading F.P.W.'s fiction. The last F.P.W. book I read was By the Sword, so I started with Ground Zero and finished the Repairman Jack arc of the Adversary Cycle. I then decided to re-read the core Adversary Cycle novels and started with The Keep. I know F.P.W. said he made some "stylistic tweaks" to The Keep. I also remember him mentioning that The Tomb / Rakoshi had been edited to make it consistent with the RJ story arc. In addition, I think F.P.W. mentioned editing Reprisal to, again, keep it consistent with the RJ arc and to also bring the technology up-to-date -- ie. cell phones instead of land lines.

Anyway, I was wondering which of the core Adversary Cycle books have been edited or tweaked. I read mostly the eBooks on my Kindle and I was wondering if the tweaked / edited versions of the books were converted to eBooks. Amazon says that The Keep eBook was (re)published in 2017, but on the copyright page in the book it says 1981 and 2003 -- was 2003 when the "tweaked" Keep was released?

I'll be finishing The Keep ( again ) soon and starting on Reborn. If the eBooks aren't based on the edited / revised / tweaked versions of the novels then I'll have to go old school and read the actual dead tree versions. I'd rather read the eBooks but I want to be sure that I'm not missing anything.

Any info regarding the above would be most welcome.

Thanks,

jdb2
jdb2   09-19-2023, 04:18 PM
I?ve been reading most everything in the Otherness Mythos / Adversary Cycle in the order the fiction takes place in the fictional timeline. So far, most of the fiction that made its way to Kindle eBooks looks to have been updated like the print versions were. I?m currently (re)reading The Touch and I had a sinking feeling when the protagonist was mentioned using a pager. But, not too many pages later the novel mentions someone using an iPod. This seems chronologically inconsistent ? editing error? I guess I?ll know the answer to my original question for certain when I start on the Kindle version of Reprisal ? if corded landlines have been replaced by cell phones then I?ll know I?m reading the updated version.

Regards,

jdb2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This post was last modified: 09-19-2023, 04:23 PM by jdb2.
jdb2   09-19-2023, 04:47 PM
Just finished a chapter in The Touch and there?s mention of Harry Potter so I?m pretty sure I?m reading the updated edition?

jdb2

jdb2   09-19-2023, 04:52 PM
jdb2 Wrote:Just finished a chapter in The Touch and there?s mention of Harry Potter so I?m pretty sure I?m reading the updated edition?

jdb2

The latest version of Tapatalk is substituting all my apostrophes with question marks ? sorry about that?