Pages (2):    1 2
fpw   02-04-2018, 10:18 AM
PANACEA is on the front page of the site (under its sequel, THE GOD GENE)

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
tropicdave173   04-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Ah, thank you, sir. I did indeed miss it. But in my defense, I have been (for me) unusually busy...

New books to read. Like I said, no downside.
Thufir   01-15-2019, 06:48 AM
An interesting explanation of Fermi Paradox is in "The dark forest", the second part of Liu Cixin "Three body problem" trilogy.

MASSIVE SPOILERS!!!!

All civilizations try to expand, but the resources in the universe are finite. So sooner or later, there will be an interstellar conflict between civilizations. When you get in touch with an alien civilization, you never know if they are hostile, or not. There is really no way to determine if the alien species will destroy you or not, so the best course is to destroy them before they have a chance to destroy us. Of course they think the same way, so any civilization that announces its existence to the universe gets itself destroyed. So, in the words of Liu Cixin: "The universe is a dark forest. Every civilization is an armed hunter stalking through the trees like a ghost, gently pushing aside branches that block the path and trying to tread without sound. Even breathing is done with care. The hunter has to be careful, because everywhere in the forest are stealthy hunters like him. If he finds another life—another hunter, angel, or a demon, a delicate infant to tottering old man, a fairy or demigod—there’s only one thing he can do: open fire and eliminate them."
fpw   01-16-2019, 11:42 AM
"the resources in the universe are finite"

Not in any practical sense.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
t4terrific   01-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Thufir Wrote:An interesting explanation of Fermi Paradox is in "The dark forest", the second part of Liu Cixin "Three body problem" trilogy.

MASSIVE SPOILERS!!!!

All civilizations try to expand, but the resources in the universe are finite. So sooner or later, there will be an interstellar conflict between civilizations. When you get in touch with an alien civilization, you never know if they are hostile, or not. There is really no way to determine if the alien species will destroy you or not, so the best course is to destroy them before they have a chance to destroy us. Of course they think the same way, so any civilization that announces its existence to the universe gets itself destroyed. So, in the words of Liu Cixin: "The universe is a dark forest. Every civilization is an armed hunter stalking through the trees like a ghost, gently pushing aside branches that block the path and trying to tread without sound. Even breathing is done with care. The hunter has to be careful, because everywhere in the forest are stealthy hunters like him. If he finds another life—another hunter, angel, or a demon, a delicate infant to tottering old man, a fairy or demigod—there’s only one thing he can do: open fire and eliminate them."

Why aren’t humans sneaking around and killing each other on a large scale? Resources are limited on Earth. Earth is far more crowded than the universe, yet the universe is a dark forest with everyone killing each other on site? Why not Earth?
This post was last modified: 01-25-2019, 06:21 PM by t4terrific.
Pages (2):    1 2