Scott Miller   02-05-2015, 06:11 PM
...that received FPW's approval that I've recently enjoyed are The Worricker Trilogy and Phoenix Island.

The Worricker trilogy are films starring Bill Nighy as a British spy. I have actually only watched the first two and both are excellent intellectual thrillers. Nighy has fast become one of my favorite actors and he doesn't disappoint in these and they also boast exceptional supporting casts.

Phoenix Island by John Dixon is an intense YA thriller about a kid sentenced to a boot camp type island with some seriously psychotic drill instructors. Fans of RJ will find a lot to root for in the story's protagonist Carl Freeman.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
fpw   02-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Glad you liked them. I try not to steer you wrong, but no guarantee that anyone will like what I like.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Scott Miller   02-07-2015, 12:51 PM
We have pretty similar tastes for the most part. I can only think of a couple of books you blurbed that I didn't care for versus a bunch I did and I appreciate Lovecraft more than like him(he has been quite influential to many of my favorite writers).

Scott

fpw   02-09-2015, 12:35 PM
well then you should appreciate the hell out of Harrison Squared.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Scott Miller   04-23-2015, 12:42 PM
fpw Wrote:well then you should appreciate the hell out of Harrison Squared.

You got that one right, loved it. It's the kind of story that made me fall in love with reading way back when. Gregory reminds me of Kenneth Oppel.

And if I may be so bold as to offer you a recommendation in return, anything that Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips work on together is worth a read but The Fade Out and Fatale are right up your alley.

Speaking of comics, what is this Eisner nomination I see all about?

Scott

fpw   04-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:Speaking of comics, what is this Eisner nomination I see all about?

I adapted "Doc Johnson" to a comic script, and Matthew Dow Smith illustrated it for the anthology In the Dark, which is up for an Eisner. So I guess I'm sorta up for an Eisner too, although the trophy will go to the editor.

FPW
FAQ
Scott Miller   04-24-2015, 11:02 AM
fpw Wrote:I adapted "Doc Johnson" to a comic script, and Matthew Dow Smith illustrated it for the anthology In the Dark, which is up for an Eisner. So I guess I'm sorta up for an Eisner too, although the trophy will go to the editor.

Good luck. I will have to track In The Dark down.

Scott