Pages (3):    1 2 3
baldhiker   09-06-2017, 10:58 AM
If I may, I thoroughly agree with the Preston/Child Pendergast series. Read 'em all and loved 'em all. For real hard hitting crime/noir/atmosphere I don't think you can do better than James Lee Burke's David Robiceaux novels. I'd also like to suggest a fantasy series by Steven Erikson called The Malazan Book of the Fallen. Very dark, lots of world building, and you have to pay attention to everything that's going on. I've been reading The Expanse lately and enjoying those books as well.
elnino14   12-29-2017, 02:29 AM
I'm coming here through the opposite angle. I haven't read an RJ novel yet, but the series was recommended to me after I finished a different series.

The Series in question was called Atticus Kodiak series by Greg Rucka. The series is about a bodyguard and his crew (his agency) that protect people who seriously need it. The series is 7 books long and listed below in order.

1. Keeper
  2. Finder
  3. Smoker
  4. Shooting at Midnight
  5. Critical Space
  6. Patriot Acts
  7. Walking Dead

It lacks any supernatural elements, but it's a really great thriller that has progression of characters, characters that evolve and aren't stagnant, and it's a series that evolves as it goes along (entering slightly different sub-genres of the thriller at times). It's part of the fun of Greg Rucka, he has characters that evolve so it's important to read in order, he has strong female characters, and of course thrilling sequences.
bill1971   08-30-2018, 02:06 PM
baldhiker Wrote:If I may, I thoroughly agree with the Preston/Child Pendergast series. Read 'em all and loved 'em all. For real hard hitting crime/noir/atmosphere I don't think you can do better than James Lee Burke's David Robiceaux novels. I'd also like to suggest a fantasy series by Steven Erikson called The Malazan Book of the Fallen. Very dark, lots of world building, and you have to pay attention to everything that's going on. I've been reading The Expanse lately and enjoying those books as well.

Agreed 100% with Preston/Child and James Lee Burke Robiceaux. I would also add Michael Connolly's Bosch, Lehane's Kenzie and Gennero, Crais' Elvis Cole and Joe Pike. All very interesting characters, not supernatural like Repairman Jack but great moral coded characters like hi, that are not afraid to go outside the line.

I will have to check out Steven Erikson. Thanks
Mike Hanson   10-25-2018, 11:05 PM
fpw Wrote:you might like the Swagger series by Stephen Hunter: http://www.bookseriesinorder.com/bob-lee-swagger/

Patrick Lee has 2 series: THE BREACH trilogy and a new one he's 2 books into: http://www.bookseriesinorder.com/patrick-lee/

that's a start...

Still hoping against all hope, Paul, that you'll eventually write a novel about that wonderful character and her most unusual life... KOLABATI!

Reading between the lines of RAKASHI and NIGHTWORLD, one could imagine quite a journey stretching from 19th century British-Colonized India right up to The Apocalypse. A background tale that might even be considered "a secret history of Kolabati," covering details and drama unknown to even those few confidantes in her life... events that carved up her soul and left a wounded spirit... until that fateful day that Repairman Jack entered her strange life... Rolleyes
fpw   10-26-2018, 11:07 AM
That's an excellent suggestion, Mike. Yes, an interesting story...guarding that last egg. Don't forget the incest. A real challenge. I'd love to read it.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Mike Hanson   03-29-2020, 03:31 PM
fpw Wrote:That's an excellent suggestion, Mike. Yes, an interesting story...guarding that last egg. Don't forget the incest. A real challenge. I'd love to read it.

Hey Paul:

Since I'm not someone who would ever write an unauthorized Fan-Fic novel based on Kolabati's life, the onus is on you, Good Doctor, to please and placate your ravenous Repairman Jack fans (of whom I consider myself a mere humble card-carrying, and secret sigil ring wearing, member). Such a spin-off Opus would truly raise your status, in our eyes, from above-average Legendary Dark Fantasy Writer to that of Horror God! Rolleyes

KOLABATI whispers to you in your dreams, Paul... listen to her... listennnnn.....

With the Kindest and Most Hopeful Regards,

Mike Cool
fpw   03-29-2020, 06:13 PM
That's not a bad idea at all, Mike. I flirted with someone like her in "Renascence," the story Rhodi Hawk and I did for Dark Duets.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Entenmann's Enthusiast   10-20-2020, 01:15 PM
It's hard to read a RJ novel and then go straight to non-fiction, other genre fiction or fantasy. It helps to draw down gradually.

Two series with badass and resourceful protagonists can help with that;

1. Monster Hunter International - Larry Corriea
All the action, pop cultural references and dialog of a RJ novel, minus the nihilistic existential dread. This series has a bit of a drive-in feel with familiar, yet creative, monster archetypes, goofy humor and graphic violence that comes across as hilarious rather than terrifying. Perfect summer reading.

2. The Saxon Stories - Bernard Cornwell
Historical fiction set during the Viking invasion of England, told through the perspective of a dispossessed warlord with divided loyalties. Excellent world-building, dialog and character development. Arguably the best depictions of melee since REH. Perfect winter reading.

Someone mentioned the Necroscope series earlier. Big fan of those books, too.
fpw   10-25-2020, 01:15 PM
I'll check them out.

FPW
FAQ
Kidero   10-27-2020, 10:59 AM
elnino14 Wrote:I'm coming here through the opposite angle. I haven't read an RJ novel yet, but the series was recommended to me after I finished a different series.

The Series in question was called Atticus Kodiak series by Greg Rucka. The series is about a bodyguard and his crew (his agency) that protect people who seriously need it. The series is 7 books long and listed below in order.

1. Keeper
  2. Finder
  3. Smoker
  4. Shooting at Midnight
  5. Critical Space
  6. Patriot Acts
  7. Walking Dead

It lacks any supernatural elements, but it's a really great thriller that has progression of characters, characters that evolve and aren't stagnant, and it's a series that evolves as it goes along (entering slightly different sub-genres of the thriller at times). It's part of the fun of Greg Rucka, he has characters that evolve so it's important to read in order, he has strong female characters, and of course thrilling sequences.

Hmmm, first time I hear about Atticus Kodiak by Greg Rucka. I love when there are series of books, it is always intriguing in my opinion. I will order it online today to be delivered to my Berlin property. When I finish reading Keeper I will write here my first opinion.
This post was last modified: 10-29-2020, 06:02 AM by Kidero.
Pages (3):    1 2 3