Pages (2): 1 2   
tbone42486   06-04-2014, 08:14 PM
My brother just finished reading "the tomb" for the first time. We were discussing some of the obvious changes made to the book when it was republished to make it more modern. It occurred to me that jack probably didn't carry a Glock in 1984. Anyone know what he was using in the first edition? Also, was enough material changed to make looking for an original edition worthwhile, or were these changes pretty much limited to updating technology, etc to keep the book current with the rest of the series?

Thanks
fpw   06-06-2014, 09:02 AM
I'll save you the trouble: In the original he had a Mauser .380 as his main carry. Most of the changes were to unmoor the book from the 80s (eliminating refs to Johnny Carson on TV, Betamax, etc)

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
tbone42486   06-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Paul, thanks for the reply. I'm up to "all the rage" and really enjoying myself. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Thanks again,
Steve
t4terrific   06-06-2014, 04:21 PM
fpw Wrote:I'll save you the trouble: In the original he had a Mauser .380 as his main carry. Most of the changes were to unmoor the book from the 80s (eliminating refs to Johnny Carson on TV, Betamax, etc)

I think there was a laser disc reference in there somewhere too.

As a stand alone novel, I prefer the original version of The Tomb. When you look at it as the beginning of a series, it needed to be updated, or it just wouldn't have worked.

I would have been interesting to simply set the entire series in the mid 80's. Smile I'd read all the way through it again for an 80's reboot of the RJ series.
nicoleallenB   06-07-2014, 02:32 AM
That was pretty cool. You can have the gun and try firing at the firing range with your friends.
Jon Carter   08-05-2014, 03:16 AM
fpw Wrote:I'll save you the trouble: In the original he had a Mauser .380 as his main carry. Most of the changes were to unmoor the book from the 80s (eliminating refs to Johnny Carson on TV, Betamax, etc)

From the way I read Jack, he seems the type to still have a Betamax.

My band put out a video a couple of years ago and only made copies on Betamax. We made ten limited edition copies, and of the ten I think only one person who won one actually had the means to view it. No, we were not elitist, just goofballs.
t4terrific   08-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Jack had laser discs when most people still had VHS. He probably liked to get the best visual experience, at home.
RootsReggae   08-05-2014, 09:04 PM
I seem to remember an Apple Lisa mentioned.
fpw   08-06-2014, 09:11 AM
That was his father's, I believe.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jörg wald   08-14-2014, 08:25 AM
i need your help!
in which book uses jack bepanthen ???
thank you!
i am new here, read wilson since 2011 in german language.
Pages (2): 1 2