Pages (2): 1 2   
stacyzinda123   12-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Maggers Wrote:I never miss a Preston/Childs book. They are uniformly great and my favorite was "Thunderhead," which does not seem to be anyone else's favorite. I haven't read "Brimstone" yet. But they are all entertaining yarns, and I think you'd like them a lot, Stacy.

Looks like I'm gonna have to check that message board, too, but I bet it's not as much fun as this one!

Are those books series books? Do I need to be aware of order, or can I just start reading? I'm excited to try a new author! It's always fun to find new good books.
fpw   12-05-2004, 02:44 PM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:Are those books series books? Do I need to be aware of order, or can I just start reading? I'm excited to try a new author! It's always fun to find new good books.

I'd say read them in order. Start with The Relic.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
flyboy707   12-05-2004, 03:04 PM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:Are those books series books? Do I need to be aware of order, or can I just start reading? I'm excited to try a new author! It's always fun to find new good books.

I agree with FPW, read them in published order (or you may get information from one book about another you haven't yet read...especially the last couple).

Some of the books in-between have nothing to do with Pendergast, but all their books are AWESOME. Well, worth the read. I won't mention, here, what my personal favorites are (and the one book of theirs I absolutely disliked --which oddly enough is their most sought after for collectors).

"There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other that you can boast about it."
stacyzinda123   12-05-2004, 06:32 PM
flyboy707 Wrote:I agree with FPW, read them in published order (or you may get information from one book about another you haven't yet read...especially the last couple).

Some of the books in-between have nothing to do with Pendergast, but all their books are AWESOME. Well, worth the read. I won't mention, here, what my personal favorites are (and the one book of theirs I absolutely disliked --which oddly enough is their most sought after for collectors).

FPW Wrote:I'd say read them in order. Start with The Relic.

Thanks for the info. I"ll look for that next time I'm book-hunting.

Stacy
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-05-2004, 08:16 PM
flyboy707 Wrote:Hey gang, if any of you have been following the discussion about whether there is a reference to Julio's in Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's latest book Brimstone , well, here's the reply I recieved to my email from Douglas Preston himself:

Dear Jerry,

You certainly are an alert reader, but I'm sorry to say that our bar with dead and dying plants wasn't inspired by the Repairman Jack bar, Julio's. There are, in fact, more than a few bedraggled bars in NYC with dead and dying plants in the window, and it is perhaps these real places that inspired both of us.

I'm a big fan of the Repairman Jack novels myself.

Thanks for the kind words and all best,
Doug

----- Original Message -----
To: prestonchild@prestonchild.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 6:49 PM
Subject: Reference to Repairman Jack in Brimestone??

Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to read this email. I hope the subject line caught your attention. I enjoy all your books (both writing together and separately) and have since I read Relic when it was originally published.

I was re-reading Brimstone recently and paused at a very small scene in it. When D'Agosta takes a friend out for a drink, he remembers this little, out of the way place that has dead or dying plants hanging in the window. I am also a huge fan of F. Paul Wilson's and was wondering if your are paying a tribute to him. In his Repairman Jack books, Jack meets potential clients at a bar called Julio's in NYC. It, too, has dead and dying plants hanging in the windows.

I don't suppose you could let me in on this, eh?

Thanks for the time,

Jerry

Ah, that's funny. I was going to post a thread about BRIMSTONE meself, but the gang has beaten me to it. In any case, my cousin Carly asked me to get him a copy for Christmas. Naturally, I did. I noticed Paul's endorsement on the jacket and wondered, "Does Paul owe these guys money, or is this legit? Let's find out." I read the book straight through, not counting one brief pizza-and-beer break. Just bought THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES today for myself. But there were 2 other "references" to Paul's fiction that I noticed: 2 mentions of Petrus wine and "the subway murders." Is this coincidence? Or are there Dark Forces at work? :p
flyboy707   12-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Ah, that's funny. I was going to post a thread about BRIMSTONE meself, but the gang has beaten me to it. In any case, my cousin Carly asked me to get him a copy for Christmas. Naturally, I did. I noticed Paul's endorsement on the jacket and wondered, "Does Paul owe these guys money, or is this legit? Let's find out." I read the book straight through, not counting one brief pizza-and-beer break. Just bought THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES today for myself. But there were 2 other "references" to Paul's fiction that I noticed: 2 mentions of Petrus wine and "the subway murders." Is this coincidence? Or are there Dark Forces at work? :p

Actually, they are referencing their own work when they talk about "the subway murders". I WON'T say which book(s), so as not to spoil it for you (or anyone else) who might want to read the book(s). I will say this, it's worth the read............... Wink

"There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other that you can boast about it."
Mailedbypostman   12-05-2004, 10:39 PM
After just reading Still Life With the crows, I have changed my opinion, the pendergast books beat all others.

Contradictions Detected
It does not matter if our answers disagree, as over time the game will change its answers to reflect common knowledge. If you feel that the game is in error, the only way to fix it is to play again.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-06-2004, 12:26 PM
flyboy707 Wrote:Actually, they are referencing their own work when they talk about "the subway murders". I WON'T say which book(s), so as not to spoil it for you (or anyone else) who might want to read the book(s). I will say this, it's worth the read............... Wink

Yeah, that seemed clear from internal evidence, but it gave me a twisted kick anyway.
Noelie   12-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Well, that is very neat! I should have thought to e-mail them myself, I guess. Big Grin

I highly recommend reading the Pendergast books in order, personally. There are some things that are sort of ongoing story lines and you'll be confused and/or have things spoiled from the other books if you don't read them in order. Relic is actually my least favorite, but it's still a very good book. My favorite is Cabinet of Curiosities. I'm not quite finished with Brimstone, but I suspect that will be the runner up.
Terry Willacker   12-07-2004, 01:46 PM
I agree they are all great. I read Thunderhead first and then went back and read them all in order. I'm in the middle of Still Life With Crows and bought Brimstone for myself for Christmas. Thunderhead was my favorite until I read The Cabinet of Curiosities.
Pages (2): 1 2